Foreign people and their damn accents

Randomguy

Seriously, is it so damn hard to lose the accent once you get over here?  I can understand having it for a year or so, or much longer if you came to the states as an adult.  What I can't understand is somebody coming over here at, say, ten years old or somesuch and still sounding FOB 30 years later.

I have a friend from the Philipines and a friend from Korea that came over when they were 14, and you would be hard-pressed to tell they came from somewhere else.  I have two coworkers who sound like they didn't bother to learn the language almost, and I am trying to figure out wth is wrong with them.

SQ has a delightful accent, though, and need not change anything.

Seriously, is it so damn hard to lose the accent once you get over here?  I can understand having it for a year or so, or much longer if you came to the states as an adult.  What I can't understand is somebody coming over here at, say, ten years old or somesuch and still sounding FOB 30 years later.

I have a friend from the Philipines and a friend from Korea that came over when they were 14, and you would be hard-pressed to tell they came from somewhere else.  I have two coworkers who sound like they didn't bother to learn the language almost, and I am trying to figure out wth is wrong with them.

SQ has a delightful accent, though, and need not change anything.

I don't think I could even fake an American accent, and I've been here for 23years!

At least it's not a New York accent.

That is repulsive, too.  In fact, pretty much all of the east coast has horrendousness built right in as far as language is concerned.  RI is exemplary in its awfulness, and is the worst that I have heard.  Reverend Maynard does not have this accent, thankfully.