Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Randomguy

Can you get knocked out without having a concussion?

Recommended Posts

A good question! And, how long does one need to be "out" to be "knocked out"?  I have walloped my noggin a couple times enough to lose a brief instant of time, but never fully & noticeably "out".  Maybe got a concussion at least one of those times, but it was tough to distinguish between the pain in my head vs any nausea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you have something happen, Random?

A friend had a concussion and whiplash when she was in a car collision as a driver.  Her head didn't hit anything. It is sudden violent jerking of head...brain moves inside skull.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

Did you have something happen, Random?

Did he have something happen?  This is RG, he's had lots of stuff happen.  Most of it he can't post online.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Did you have something happen, Random?

A friend had a concussion and whiplash when she was in a car collision as a driver.  Her head didn't hit anything. It is sudden violent jerking of head...brain moves inside skull.

Yeah, it isn't the movement, it's the sudden stop against the interior of the skull. 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Did you have something happen, Random?

Television program.  Character got bockled on the head with a shovel and was knocked out.  His partner catches up to him some time later and he wakes up.  "Do you want to go to the hospital?  You might have a concussion".  "Nah, I just got knocked out."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 2Far said:

Yeah, it isn't the movement, it's the sudden stop against the interior of the skull. 😁

From studies (or reports on studies) I've seen, it isn't the stoping against the skull as thought for years.  It is the sudden movement of the brain (typically caused by a sudden stop) that causes the brain to wiggle sort of like jello.  The wiggling causes micro tears in the tissue which is the concussion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kzoo said:

From studies (or reports on studies) I've seen, it isn't the stoping against the skull as thought for years.  It is the sudden movement of the brain (typically caused by a sudden stop) that causes the brain to wiggle sort of like jello.  The wiggling causes micro tears in the tissue which is the concussion.

That doesn't bode well for contact sports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

From studies (or reports on studies) I've seen, it isn't the stoping against the skull as thought for years.  It is the sudden movement of the brain (typically caused by a sudden stop) that causes the brain to wiggle sort of like jello.  The wiggling causes micro tears in the tissue which is the concussion.

Then I'm OK, my brain is more like pudding than jello.  Probably tapioca or pistachio, not a good one like Chocolate with the skin on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2Far said:

That doesn't bode well for contact sports.

Not at all, they've found damage from things as minor as head butting a soccer ball.

It makes no sense having American football damage brains in an educational setting.

Not that I expect Americans to make sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Television program.  Character got bockled on the head with a shovel and was knocked out.  His partner catches up to him some time later and he wakes up.  "Do you want to go to the hospital?  You might have a concussion".  "Nah, I just got knocked out."

Happened to me in my younger days.  I actually had numerous blows to the noggin, once going lights out and snapped out of it and continued the fight. 

Probably why I’m so freaking wonky now...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Television program.  Character got bockled on the head with a shovel and was knocked out.  His partner catches up to him some time later and he wakes up.  "Do you want to go to the hospital?  You might have a concussion".  "Nah, I just got knocked out."

Depends. Were any of them a member of a minority group?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kzoo said:

From studies (or reports on studies) I've seen, it isn't the stoping against the skull as thought for years.  It is the sudden movement of the brain (typically caused by a sudden stop) that causes the brain to wiggle sort of like jello.  The wiggling causes micro tears in the tissue which is the concussion.

Yeah, it’s the shearing of the subcortical axons, not contusions on the surface of the brain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Television program.  Character got bockled on the head with a shovel and was knocked out.  His partner catches up to him some time later and he wakes up.  "Do you want to go to the hospital?  You might have a concussion".  "Nah, I just got knocked out."

If you are unconscious for more than a minute there is usually brain damage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Chris... said:

If you are unconscious for more than a minute there is usually brain damage. 

That explains a lot. When I got ambushed by the four deers I don’t know how long I laid on the highway before I came around. It was very quiet. When I walked into the ER they took me immediately back and took my bike clothes and sent me in for a cat scan of my head. They didn’t find anything, then they started taking x-rays and finding broken bones. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...