Sucking in the Canadians

shootingstar

A local real estate magazine with pretty photos, comes out monthly or something like that.  There's always at least 1-2 pgs., devoted to residential properties....in Arizona and less so, in Hawai'i.  Arizonan properties are at least 3,000+ sq. ft.  All the time. 

I don't get it. Maybe same locals here, are real suckers for large sprawling homes /huge lots.  It may be partially due to prairie mentality of unfettered space, both indoors and outdoors.  

The only advantage is, it costs less to heat a very large home in Arizona in winter vs. in our -25 to -35 degree C winters up here in Canadian prairies.  I don't get it.... why even buy such a large home in foreign country when one doesn't see it at least 50% time or even less?  (I know someone at work owns a house in Arizona.  He spends only 3 wks. annually due to his full-time job back in in our city. His wife hopefully is making more use of it.)

25 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

You need a lot of space for visiting relatives, resale value, and places to put your tv's.

Sure. Provided he doesn't watch tv on his tiny iPhone, like 1 friend of mine.    I think his son in his 30's owns 2 local properties already. I got the impression, there wasn't close love between son and dad right now.

Real estate in our area (outside of the mountain chalets) is generally cheaper than Vancouver or Toronto.

This same employee who owns a home in Arizona, also owns a small farm 80 km. away, from his long time city home.  We may be in a down local economy, but for those who planned a long time ago.. I guess some people enjoy running amongst 3 properties/locations for upkeep/costs. ?  Owning assets in multiple locations far away from each location, has its own challenges --both mentally and physically.

25 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

So, what's the question? Is it 1) why do folks buy large homes, 2) why do folks buy homes they rarely use, or 3) why does anyone live in CAnada when they can afford Arizona and a 3,000 sq ft home?

2)  It costs to pay taxes. Maybe people rent out those large homes.  Hope they guarantee that the renter won't put it up on Airnb. Before world of Airnb, it was less of a concern. That's what happened in our building....before thank goodness place sold to owner who is now living in it with his dog.

20 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

So, what's the question? Is it 1) why do folks buy large homes, 2) why do folks buy homes they rarely use, or 3) why does anyone live in CAnada when they can afford Arizona and a 3,000 sq ft home?

The real question is why someone thinks Arizona is a foreign country. They have McDonalds and Starbucks.