Boston bid on the Olympics

Square Wheels

Sad but not surprising.  The Vancouver facilities are being used or were converted....ie. the main media/journalist bldg. is now a community centre that serves a community of....Olympic Village where athletes were housed, now condos. Very active with kayaking/dragonboat facilities since it's by a saltwater creek.

I'm soooo glad Calgary voted NO to 2026 Winter Olympics bid in a city-wide plebiscite last Nov.  

Right now, there's much shady crap about a expanding a stadium and converting to some sports facility which the NHL should pay, not out of the public purse.

• Awesome 1

The LA bid is mainly using existing facilities which should save a lot of money, but I still wouldn't want the Olympics in my city.  They have just grown so large and there is so much wasted money.  When I visit Lake Placid, I can't imagine that town hosting a current Olympics,  and I'm glad.

Yeah, Boston & Mass is probably an apt comparison to Brazil.  Bunch of folks who can't do anything properly.  Now, CAlifornia, they're a far far far different story, and their hosting - like the one years ago - will turn out great.  I bet Atlanta is still digging out from their debacle when they hosted. Maybe @2Far remembers. Had to be a disaster.  Probably plowed a half dozen stadiums under after never needing them again. Bankruptcy too?

Some facilities from Olympics 2010 legacy that are blended and used in Vancouver:

https://cyclewriteblog.wordpress.com/2012/07/03/2010-olympic-birthmarks-in-neighbourhoods-vancouver-bc/

There was a lot.  The Canada Line LRT line from airport into downtown was partially the reason why it was funded for the Olympics.  Now it is heavily used.

I haven't paid attention if IOC is still battling between Sweden and Italy for 2026 Winter Olympics.  IOC was probably hoping to choose Calgary..

6 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Some facilities from Olympics 2010 legacy that are blended and used in Vancouver:

https://cyclewriteblog.wordpress.com/2012/07/03/2010-olympic-birthmarks-in-neighbourhoods-vancouver-bc/

There was a lot.  The Canada Line LRT line from airport into downtown was partially the reason why it was funded for the Olympics.  Now it is heavily used.

I haven't paid attention if IOC is still battling between Sweden and Italy for 2026 Winter Olympics.  IOC was probably hoping to choose Calgary..

So CAnadians are smarter than Massachusettians? No surprise there. :D  Still, a Boston Olympics would clearly have been a disaster.