Michigan, in pictures...

Randomguy

15 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

detroit sucks

Can you still buy a house cheaply there?  Is it a good idea?

I often think I would like to buy the house I grew up in, but the neighborhood went way downhill after we moved to the 'burbs.  Still, there is history there.

1 minute ago, bikeman564™ said:

Why would you live in a city w/ a murder a day?

I am ignorant about the place, even though Kzoo loves Detroit.  Maybe the value will pick back up eventually?

Wasn't Detroit being positioned as maybe a hipster destination for the future?

I wasn't around in its heyday, but the auto industry built that city. At its highest point there were 1.8M people living there in the '50s.  The amount of land area Detroit has is huge. Now it's population is around 1/2M people. So similar to your picture, there a lot of communities that look like that. There are groups, investors, and the Mayor of course who are rebuilding and bringing money back into the city in only a few areas near downtown. And yes, it is a hipster/millennial delight. New condos/apartments/stores/restaurants. There is a whole mess of new condos/apartments (not sure which) right across the street from the new Little Ceaser's Arena. Probably not cheap. Unless they make 150k a year, how will the 20 somethings afford living there? This is who they're trying to attract. I ride thru some of the new downtown areas on my Saturday bike ride and the areas do indeed look so much better. But literally a block away looks like your picture. All the good happening in the city is such a small percentage of the city, that all focus is lost on the rest it seams. One thing city planning got right was having the sports teams near each other. I don't go to games but for sports nuts I assume its great. The Tigers & Lions are next to each other, and the wings & pistons who share an arena are aboot a half mile away. But I digress.

We were in Grand Rapids last summer. One night we ran out to Grand Haven I think. That was fun. We stayed in a B&B in GR that was in a historic neighborhood. Compared to Portland/Bend the housing was cheap. We could double or triple our SF for the same price. Downtown was a bit sparse in the evening. The Amway vibe was strong there though

I don't think we would move there. But it was a nice better than pleasant trip

we stopped in Gary Indiana by accident. I was a skered the whole time

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Can you still buy a house cheaply there?  Is it a good idea?

I often think I would like to buy the house I grew up in, but the neighborhood went way downhill after we moved to the 'burbs.  Still, there is history there.

Take a look inside some of Detroit's most beautiful mansions built by notable architects in historic neighborhoods.

2 hours ago, Scrapr said:

We were in Grand Rapids last summer. One night we ran out to Grand Haven I think. That was fun. We stayed in a B&B in GR that was in a historic neighborhood. Compared to Portland/Bend the housing was cheap. We could double or triple our SF for the same price. Downtown was a bit sparse in the evening. The Amway vibe was strong there though

I don't think we would move there. But it was a nice better than pleasant trip

we stopped in Gary Indiana by accident. I was a skered the whole time

Grand Rapids is a really good place to live. My daughter's live there. Lots going on, good vibe, many small breweries, miles and miles of cycling/running.

• Heart 2

56 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

The Silverdome sold for $583K. They bought it just to tear it down.  :) 

Our high school football team made it to the state finals in early 80's. Finals were played at the Silverdome. Marching band got to go. We we're pretty wide-eyed and thought it was really cool. Good times.

• Heart 1

Little Ceasar's was probably the nicest arena I've been to, or certainly up there on the list.  I could see there were some nice condos nearby, but as they mentioned, some sketchy areas nearby.   The main downside to the arena was that there really weren't any hotels in easy walking distance.   The older arena (Joe Louis?) wasn't nearly as nice, but it had a better location near the busier part of downtown with a lot of places either within easy walking distance or on the people mover train.

But Detroit is only one part of Michigan and there are lots of beautiful places within the state.

• Heart 1