Pies

Parsnip Totin Jack

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

???  You are an accomplished gardener and rhubarb is one of the easies plants to grow.  

...you've never tried to grow it here. :(  I've planted it at least three times, back when I had the space.  It fades out after a year or two because of the brutal heat. If you water it too much, so it doesn't die of excessive transpiration, it rots out at the roots (or maybe it's another soil fungal infection that does it in.)

I've had it growing on a fence line in MN, and nobody ever did anything to it but harvest it in the spring, but it's a much different story here.

The stalks I bought were pretty small, so if I had to guess, I'd guess that this farmer might be replanting every year or two from fresh crowns.

10 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...you've never tried to grow it here. :(  I've planted it at least three times, back when I had the space.  It fades out after a year or two because of the brutal heat. If you water it too much, so it doesn't die of excessive transpiration, it rots out at the roots (or maybe it's another soil fungal infection that does it in.)

I've had it growing on a fence line in MN, and nobody ever did anything to it but harvest it in the spring, but it's a much different story here.

The stalks I bought were pretty small, so if I had to guess, I'd guess that this farmer might be replanting every year or two from fresh crowns.

It would have broke your heart, Page to know that when my parents bought their lst house in Ontario, we saw these huge ugly rhubarb bushes..and didn't know what it was.  So several years later, we mowed down the rhubarb with lawn mower. No one told us what it was.  https://cyclewriteblog.wordpress.com/2017/05/23/rhubarb-mow-down-chow-down/

We buy lots of rhubarb...much of it shipped from British Columbia, not enough moisture in Alberta.  Though it can grow in a small way.  We freeze it..

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

Grows like a weed here...back in the day when my church sponsored a food booth at the State Fair..people froze the rhubarb as it came up in the spring..and we served fresh rhubarb pie everyday at the fair....thats a lot of Rhubarb.... We grew it at home when I was growing up...reminds me I have some strawberry rhubarb sauce in my freezer..I could eat that!!

• Heart 2

9 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Grows like a weed here...back in the day when my church sponsored a food booth at the State Fair..people froze the rhubarb as it came up in the spring..and we served fresh rhubarb pie everyday at the fair....thats a lot of Rhubarb.... We grew it at home when I was growing up...reminds me I have some strawberry rhubarb sauce in my freezer..I could eat that!!

I honestly don't understand the appeal of rhubarb.  You know what it tastes like to me?

3 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Pie is so under-rated as an elegant dessert. Here's an offering from a local pie shop.  Pi designs in pie, just scroll through.  https://www.instagram.com/piejunkieyyc/  

image.png.d3fff9b3bb2f565dba0b063bfb630292.png

I was a little shocked...just after posted on this thread, I cycled over to my favourite pie shop.   And received a free raspberry turnover and tea because I've been a frequent customer.  Pi Day smiles down happy on us all. :)  Under 1 hr., there must have 15 customers who piled to get their stuff.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

What was the reason for baking 4 pies?  Eat now or freeze?

The pies are actually half regular size, baked in bowls vs pie plates. We had an open house with neighbors over for St Patrick’s Day. Corned beef, Swiss cheese. Rye, mustards, pickles, Guinness, Irish coffee, cookies and pies. Great event. Five neighbors came, about 14 people showed up. 

• Heart 2

10 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

The pies are actually half regular size, baked in bowls vs pie plates. We had an open house with neighbors over for St Patrick’s Day. Corned beef, Swiss cheese. Rye, mustards, pickles, Guinness, Irish coffee, cookies and pies. Great event. Five neighbors came, about 14 people showed up. 

You forgot to invite squarewheels forumites.  :D?

• Heart 1