Explain The Horse Thing To Me

Razors Edge

I live in the 'burbs where there are dozens of horse farms scattered across my general cycling and hiking area.  The trail I often ride is a shared ped/bike/horse trail. Our favorite hikes are shared with horses (and often bikes are banned). Out in the countryside, its horses and more horses.

What I find, and I noticed it again today, is that I never see guys on horses.  It's always women and girls who are riding the trails.  ALWAYS. I can't recall a single time ever seeing a guy on a horse out here.

As kids, one of my older sisters wanted to learn to ride, so we all got riding lessons. I probably never would have ridden until I was an adult otherwise.  Odd, isn't it?

50 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I live in the 'burbs where there are dozens of horse farms scattered across my general cycling and hiking area.  The trail I often ride is a shared ped/bike/horse trail. Our favorite hikes are shared with horses (and often bikes are banned). Out in the countryside, its horses and more horses.

What I find, and I noticed it again today, is that I never see guys on horses.  It's always women and girls who are riding the trails.  ALWAYS. I can't recall a single time ever seeing a guy on a horse out here.

As kids, one of my older sisters wanted to learn to ride, so we all got riding lessons. I probably never would have ridden until I was an adult otherwise.  Odd, isn't it?

Dearie rode his horse...when he was a part-time weekend farmer.  One of his horses would come up to greet him and rub its face on his back...

Alberta has probably the most horse culture I've lived in Canada so far. And I live in the city.  Probably due to long ranching and farming history culture and today when Alberta still produces Canada's greatest amount of AAAA beef exported overseas, plus other stuff.

In a former dept. where I used to work, there were several work colleagues whose family members owned a horse for riding  and in 1 case for jumping competition.  Horsey culture is big, we have a permanent area in south end of city for annual competitions that draw people from all over the province.  Kinda high brow too where urban, non-horsey folks would attend.  Sorta status symbol.   I would hear comments from parents how they were secretly relieved when their daughter finally got a job to support their horse.  ??

We have a horse trail system on one of the forests we manage. We see both men and women riders, but definitely more woman. 

The Airline trail has lots of places where people can park trailers and ride.  The most difficult part is the sharing (or not sharing) of the linear state park.  I've met riders who carry a sort of pooper scooper on an extendable handle who clear their horse droppings from the trail. I've met others who just leave it there.  I've always asked permission to pass them before I do just in case the horse might be spooked by me on the bike.  I've watched other cyclists fly by the horses without even slowing, but those are the same cyclists who blow past peds too.  One rider explained to me that horses have a problem figuring out what sort of creature a cyclist is.  They don't automatically recognize us as people.  Slowing to talk first helps the horse figure out what's going on.  They thank me for the courtesy but I've got a secret.  It's self preservation as I don't want to be on a narrow trail with a half ton of frightened animal.

• Heart 2

6 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

It's always women and girls who are riding the trails.  ALWAYS. I can't recall a single time ever seeing a guy on a horse out here.

Mr. Reeve, 42, an avid horseman, was injured on Saturday at Culpeper, Va., when his horse stopped abruptly at the third of 18 obstacles in a cross-country event, throwing him headfirst to the ground. Mr. Reeve was wearing a helmet, witnesses said.

2 hours ago, Page Turner said:

Mr. Reeve, 42, an avid horseman, was injured on Saturday at Culpeper, Va., when his horse stopped abruptly at the third of 18 obstacles in a cross-country event, throwing him headfirst to the ground. Mr. Reeve was wearing a helmet, witnesses said.

Good point!  If horse riding can take oot Superman, why would we mere mortals even think aboot it?

• Heart 3

The best shoes are made from horses.. So are components of the best made guitars but only in the form of glue.  In parts of Italy, they do eat horses.   Gangsters also like to use them as sleeping aids.  I am allergic to them.  They kick and bite. Some people race them and I think that is mean. That is all I know.. :)  Oh, and they eat, drink and poop vegetarian.  It is probably also true that the people who ride then are vegans or some such too. 

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, late said:

Horse meat was legal in Maine for a while. I liked it.

There's no reason not to eat them, except that girls get all worked up over it.

The dog food company in Meadville used to pay a good price for old horses but somebody made that illegal and now it’s expensive to get an old horse put down and disposed of.?

• Sad 1