Dizzy

MickinMD

The last few days I've had an occasional equilibrium problem lasting a few seconds at a time, usually after I stand up quickly.  I feel slightly off-balance for a couple of seconds but not enough to stop walking, then it goes away, but sometimes a hint of it returns. There is not ear, etc. pain involved.

I've recently begun taking Rosuvastatin, but only a very low 5 mg/day dose. Statins are known for causing dizziness, but rarely at such aa low dose - I have very good cholesterol without it but have been told statins have a strong positive affect on diabetics.

I would be worried about signs of a brain tumor, but my right Eustachian tube, which equalizes pressure in the inner ear with the nasal/throat area, has been crackling, intermittently, like crazy lately, as if freshly-milked Rice Krispies are going off in my ear. The crackling is due to the tube collapsing and air bubbles forcing their way through.  I apparently have either an inner ear infection of something that will clear itself up soon.

• Sad 1

How many of you with dizziness problems have have had crystal rearrangement?  I had never heard of this until my wife was helped by the PT a few years ago.

Also, being diabetic, an overload of carbs can also cause dizziness when one stands up, as can low blood pressure. With the crackling, the inner ear seems a likely cause of your problem.  I also get this sometimes from allergies.

My 2 cents, is that when statins were first introduced, the death rate was slightly higher if you took them.

They reflect our understanding of the situation, which is limited.

Despite my misgivings, I tried them. And decided, that on balance, I was better off without them.

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

How many of you with dizziness problems have have had crystal rearrangement? 

I've heard of it. When I left the hospital the last time they said I might have to look into the treatment. The condition is abbreviated as BPPV. Old people get it and others can get it from disease, trauma, etc. It's actually pretty common.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bppv&oq=bppv&aqs=chrome..69i57.2799j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

1 hour ago, sheep_herder said:

How many of you with dizziness problems have have had crystal rearrangement?  I had never heard of this until my wife was helped by the PT a few years ago.

Also, being diabetic, an overload of carbs can also cause dizziness when one stands up, as can low blood pressure. With the crackling, the inner ear seems a likely cause of your problem.  I also get this sometimes from allergies.

My mother benefited greatly from that procedure when suffering from dizziness a few years back. I think it was related to her Myasthenia Gravis diagnosis. 

4 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

I read about crystal rearrangement last night.  If it wasn't for the crackling - which I've experienced before - I'd be concerned enough to see a doctor.  Today, I'm going to walk Jake three miles and I don't expect the problem to make itself known during the whole walk.  But, then I'll get home, sit in front of my TV and eat dinner, stand up and - for a few seconds - I'll feel a little off balance.

I haven't had low blood pressure, but I have had slightly elevated blood pressure due to water retention (due to medications) and my ankles swell when that happens.

My ankles have been a little swollen lately but are getting back to normal and this morning the dizziness on standing lasted less than a second.

So I hope whatever caused it is going away.

3 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I haven't had low blood pressure, but I have had slightly elevated blood pressure due to water retention (due to medications) and my ankles swell when that happens.

My ankles have been a little swollen lately but are getting back to normal and this morning the dizziness on standing lasted less than a second.

So I hope whatever caused it is going away.

I was gonna go with blood pressure, but first and foremost, a doctor or nurse is a good idea.  Maybe even just a "remote" appointment if your insurance offers it.