Garages are eville.

jsharr

Big empty room of deceit.  It starts with, "I can just put this one box here" or "I will put these tools away after I shower"
Now multiply that reasoning times two boys and a wife and you have a disaster on your hands, shit piled everywhere, an empty pegboard full of lonely tool outlines and two cars parked on the driveway and hail season on the way.

Ryan and I spent the better part of yesterday working on reversing this trend at casa de jsharr.  Three big trash bags in the alley.  Stuff on the curb to be picked up by bulk trash or scavengers.  A few items of value listed n the neighborhood garage sale page and a mound of tools that still need to be sorted through and put back on peg board, or in my mobile bike tool box.

Could get one car in now, but lots more work to do to get another car in.

Would have gotten a bit more done, but we stopped to play with some of the stuff we found and we also installed a ceiling fan support in Wade's bedroom and installed a ceiling fan in his room.

discus

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

16 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Big empty room of deceit.  It starts with, "I can just put this one box here" or "I will put these tools away after I shower"
Now multiply that reasoning times two boys and a wife and you have a disaster on your hands, shit piled everywhere, an empty pegboard full of lonely tool outlines and two cars parked on the driveway and hail season on the way.

Ryan and I spent the better part of yesterday working on reversing this trend at casa de jsharr.  Three big trash bags in the alley.  Stuff on the curb to be picked up by bulk trash or scavengers.  A few items of value listed n the neighborhood garage sale page and a mound of tools that still need to be sorted through and put back on peg board, or in my mobile bike tool box.

Could get one car in now, but lots more work to do to get another car in.

Would have gotten a bit more done, but we stopped to play with some of the stuff we found and we also installed a ceiling fan support in Wade's bedroom and installed a ceiling fan in his room.

discus

Give in and rent a dumpster.  You'll get more done in the end and you will also have an excuse for getting rid of the "might use within the next 15 years" stuff.

• Heart 1

I have a similar problem except our house was built in 1948 and the attached 2 car garage might be big enough that my Honda Civic would fit on one side but never her Jeep Liberty.  If I put my Civic on the one side there would be no place for anything else there.  It is a battle to keep it semi-orderly.

Both of out vehicles fit just nicely outside.

• Heart 2

We went through an extensive garage clean out a year ago.  Got rid of kids toys, unused sports equipment, old computers & tv’s and a shit ton of booster crap like snack bar supplies.  

We considered hiring a junk remover but was able to unload it via Goodwill, electronics disposal place and liberal use of dumpsters at a nearby construction project...  

We have more work to do but the garage is far less cluttered now.

Just now, Kzoo said:

Wonder what @2Far thinks of that.  Not that it matters... just wonder.

I thought I was being clever and then noticed all of the old tires, paint, bedroom furniture & etc that was in there... Apparently the whole community was doing it.  

Shortly after I made my final dump run they fenced off the project!

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I thought I was being clever and then noticed all of the old tires, paint, bedroom furniture & etc that was in there... Apparently the whole community was doing it.  

Shortly after I made my final dump run they fenced off the project!

Timing is everything.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I have a three bay garage, it’s never had a car in it except when I pulled a Civic in it to replace a broken camshaft. There was a lot more broke than just the camshaft so I scrapped the car instead of fixing it. 

It’s full of tools and equipment .

I would have taken the tools and equipment out of it before sending it to the scrapper.  You could keep them in your empty garage.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Maybe you could convert your empty garage into a writers workshop?

The garage still has two zero turn mowers, two rear tine rototillers, one small front tine tiller for the flower beds, one push mower, a snow blower, a table saw, a jointer/planer, a wood lathe, a bandsaw, various workbenches, a mechanic’s toolbox and base cabinet, an assortment of chainsaws, bicycles, a bike stuff cabinet, three kayaks, and a crapton of fishing stuff. 

6 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

The garage still has two zero turn mowers, two rear tine rototillers, one small front tine tiller for the flower beds, one push mower, a snow blower, a table saw, a jointer/planer, a wood lathe, a bandsaw, various workbenches, a mechanic’s toolbox and base cabinet, an assortment of chainsaws, bicycles, a bike stuff cabinet, three kayaks, and a crapton of fishing stuff. 

It is gonna take more than a few Honda Civics to scrap that much stuff! 

• Haha 3

This touched a little too close to home. We have to move all the barn stuff  into the garage so they can put down the cement Finally!  Then the matting- finally. This all must be coordinated with the people putting down the fancy garage floor coating.  The next two weeks will be bad. I nominated Couch to help but Mr Aire says he has it all well in hand. He doesn't. ????

• Sad 1