Slow moving traffic

dinneR

That looks so awesome! We want to do a winter trip to west Yellowstone to do some skiing. It would have to be at Christmas, February break or in April. 

16 hours ago, dennis said:

Looks cool. There are parts of Yellowstone that allow XC skiing too. It doesn't get groomed like GTNP, but I've heard it's awesome.

Our plan is to fly to SLC then drive to west Yellowstone and do day trips from there. Looking at a map a day or two in GTNP is certainly doable. Any suggestions on day ski trips?

3 hours ago, Zackny said:

Our plan is to fly to SLC then drive to west Yellowstone and do day trips from there. Looking at a map a day or two in GTNP is certainly doable. Any suggestions on day ski trips?

This site will show you all of the trails and the days they are groomed. Grand Targhee has nordic and fatbike trails as well on the ID side of the Tetons. You have to check in advance about trail access. They get 500" of snow annually so some days it's not groomed for nordic. GTNP  is groomed Taggert to Signal mtn. Skiing it north to south is really cool, less people, more trees. I don't know if they staff the north entrance in the winter so you can access the park for free most days. The Moose entrance usually has a ranger so you have to have a park pass or pay the entrance fee. Trail Creek is really nice, groomed daily, but can be more challenging. You have to watch out for moose there. 

https://jhnordic.com/

28 minutes ago, dennis said:

This site will show you all of the trails and the days they are groomed. Grand Targhee has nordic and fatbike trails as well on the ID side of the Tetons. You have to check in advance about trail access. They get 500" of snow annually so some days it's not groomed for nordic. GTNP  is groomed Taggert to Signal mtn. Skiing it north to south is really cool, less people, more trees. I don't know if they staff the north entrance in the winter so you can access the park for free most days. The Moose entrance usually has a ranger so you have to have a park pass or pay the entrance fee. Trail Creek is really nice, groomed daily, but can be more challenging. You have to watch out for moose there. 

https://jhnordic.com/

Awesome. Thanks

Love the bison on the road!

The first of the three times I visited Yellowstone National Park, at the end of my first day there, I was inside the park and driving toward my hotel outside the park at night and traveling faster than prudent. A car approaching me was frantically flashing his high beams on and off over and over.  I had no clue why, but I slowed way down.  Sure enough, a bison was soon lit up by my headlights in my lane ahead of me - just as those in the video here.  I learned a major lesson then and luckily it caused no pain to me or the giant beast.

• Heart 1

19 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Love the bison on the road!

The first of the three times I visited Yellowstone National Park, at the end of my first day there, I was inside the park and driving toward my hotel outside the park at night and traveling faster than prudent. A car approaching me was frantically flashing his high beams on and off over and over.  I had no clue why, but I slowed way down.  Sure enough, a bison was soon lit up by my headlights in my lane ahead of me - just as those in the video here.  I learned a major lesson then and luckily it caused no pain to me or the giant beast.

Good advice Mick. Around here the speed limit drops from 55 to 45 at night. The wildlife get hit at an alarming rate around here. 

https://buckrail.com/motorists-please-stop-killing-our-wildlife/

20 hours ago, dennis said:

Grand Targhee. Looking down at the nordic trails:

dGHUSEwBfVIltNUcJp4pLZfoOPyX6A0JUB7mixDKUAcrjLzukH4mGkDnvZHiyOmII7rNG0pR661NuBVdtODVimwxunVBmX5BjBLn9R5vI_YSi75TL6A_yzCFDI4KQ5d8zS50nMACPFGAeD10ZjgdIFdSxIQ2TIOgueNgpIfIoxEEPFMSLSnUvR3zW40jsNoiyjj9xcHe9HzIKLXxtkFr1eoS8v_FZB3TwwGMvPtU1oHdarBGenjv8G_0YbuYwZAInZNmL6jzl-A8A_LDtjG9W5pVrIdWIPCYXhDGYfwEjnppegDBy0wWmiTGjKczT_nfMpr5tmq6pWDb-vsJ3CU5jiMxR6P3hJjoGDRu0ImBzjL7OW8HOunA1eQj_t2JwU-oazkip6uuPAZfDnForlGBHvj4uPWbaNBfiFFSUHhjKaXF1PjqfJaVyUCiDC1N4hPmYLuUc8rN4IqktzrK8vl0K57uVVPNAkdjK41_DGyC0ivKcdcaUI1CUoS8O2kYP4Fx-nGPJjyMW75VN0M5hHkXvoNcy3HajpbvJ2QrNQEqcDh0DUZf51TmV4X9tWiwNRemaxRDhPF9uwoVr-uWAuf-3ND6Ajms7Th5twGAfJu_bsxM8CwZCDK-QdNwVTRihZEiI7ViP5seKSsCFuAdJfYsJQH3P55m6Wc=w1360-h765-no

Looking up at the Grand:

_2PcsnODvpMi763Utj4sNdnGHFMEAlpCwejo23IY9QIxAVN1kme_OKlRCWgwM4N12Dxe884Dq8tj68OX0vLJQA_KMexlP1mEBHcHi1R2bwS5brvJsQ1WvxJKwiHPKfH9u8Hnrsz_7k8hyhs0fYHsGqhShmkQfuA94auYTGwQ-c92OVBntGjpz5dhpC5G9mJYSwgQgxT7j2DxEb7rwozlNw1rTPGv3kKJ68Pk-GZXQIIwZMJay_60ZfbcFphHYLBwBUTJQ-LI7YL_fax44Y5t7FafbfHTJoclPoN4MZp39b9XPx1VfQwuaP2Lkg2UIMJRwd5Y6b6lvABQH30lsV-EzcNUC10zM6LCpXnKYTxEjzbZ9vT2z0rp-fV0vem5iVf3UHfO3YzflJNaf_Pk6fQsVfxPYE8qTFnk3CE2Su_6Xw7CfBX6Zl6R6POYv9xvmiV9HsR6KWSjJSRO06fwTS4jG9ZYRh5QcGu7mDniNwIn6BRoIeJQihWhNirXYX1tO7ZkYv5W7bc9xLkV_CsDO61ed0DXZOXuOemCfvODhJpYUE_3QD11OCAH8PIkMQSljJ5Bdd1sQbOy68smCKeStqcVdxzojle0u9_vaujYqTmunmheEPNahT1NGdRC73PNcZVPwqmud9f-4GhrSV4q8_AyFHZqbgf6lGI=w1360-h765-no

Ok, WoZack is on board for some winter adventure. Are you usually able to ski right after Christmas?

57 minutes ago, Zackny said:

Ok, WoZack is on board for some winter adventure. Are you usually able to ski right after Christmas?

In the mountains, yes. In the valley, it depends. I took this first picture Nov 24. Jackson Hole and Grand Targhee typically open at Thanksgiving. Nordic grooming starts when there is enough snow. GTNP closes the park road to cars from Taggert to Signal mtn Nov 1. They groom it for nordic skiing once there is enough snow. I started downhill skiing Thanksgiving weekend this year and my first nordic ski was early Jan. I think. 

lzhKLlPTFPF7spyMEQVgYELkKpptWxCmcMAIKFOxo23VAgsbVgyjyKqGT2mnjGngCvMjWUHkTFPI3548syW9JK7QjTy9d5ZB-0vg3MDwLybfVAB7pTZDufHgCrsPhqJNkjwJmw4Oc5WhXV7GJotjP8Zl13hM4Fdqtbvq2J3Vy3Vgf923Lq4rXJ2W36XaOjzuYeR-_rSkhyD6NqbkuNypelFzPmu0rEgGcl74fUYVzT5fo8PSxqjGPHdmFdFgkYlgqYYbDasEeDhd7gvnM1PEkeGh1suEpGuh41hL0lh4aJKlDUY7dEVdgqjDFTYIH_UT7U9JxwM3basRcqF5VYJsybSeBF_G3pkOD70LnQNQZxdCoj0FXQl09hfrndRSdpD2M0zwVS8SUGlxfEK5eXRZbyifQyevvBAoJmCa4CMnHMXU5JTaHOKzQoyaS2FNOK3f3cdEeEjG72Eud3gQwP_LxkUiRPNP--eAAhsQyuPfhWjIc4VA1Hc0KlvmIwOX8lqSMFg0SK1jYEl_jGJhBD-b4A1-2DSbwvsMsDxOH0ZUEnfWDBev0tiW_fBwEnIUMfq-7G1YhG-ZLTBAJA3smeQLJzI00R5HQWf-9lzb21K41wK0GRKLd-YS9zwCzFZxlqReVsva5L1IMLTOTQkEIclPDIe0rN-5odU=w1044-h587-no

This is Dec 22. You can still see the sage brush

NJVmQXdScqEf4A05JtaPMLRraL-L5QPkRtAZ1q8CploWlVFjzHeHsGC-icejRCng3jhl7YucnTeusPOQg5qb5G_plEl_0B5VeLiRzrwe5ytU3ELDohiQigOpVp_yIs6MRKdJJbgn0WCKBKBI_jvFER2f6pMSqFZBwWIaXsgycYuvMMdRgjbv15XEbyw3zMa3Lwr7JWDM4ecICJn7wOir5R1KcYo2vc996Gqrp1XSqui10UeCxLu9_YbvlmOBKJ8xjKbjOov9_mmyKeFiHIN-Mpq7V3K7giis8Fg28InyEkk_l78ipFP5l_p4Fs2blzZlGn4BH16LJIsH9vEhLIeq-hfuc1T3pKXPEUgxp4QJ5DoU9vMmG8AgWS3Xay1lcLMntHQeoWoaBbVcx_ujfGGseJdm8gg3A13iGFcTcMy4_tRJIftIg0RO1ejqr3zrflCk7MMjujStmBC0yhi6xnxVp0lmrFj3IndPmIS2xESgGumwgKpU2O2_cy13MFbalbKr1wpyZ9e7bXPzEsHs1LoJ24KoetuEWoR4vnaxotRUDj9qa1ZAadw36RoKzyrDOvf6l5RpiP_DwHJMIxfekMvQPL4hRvax17_rR8ATLpfkWBiPxmlMUXWV2THvFWmKTZJ-ywTNTHqc5IUCVfOl1Oqu3hWYmnbex4w=w1044-h587-no

28 minutes ago, dennis said:

or fatbike. Targhee and Trail creek should have plenty of snow. Not sure about the West Yellowstone area, seems likely. Do you downhill ski at all?

I do but she doesn’t. Biking would be cool too. Any suggestions on places to stay in that area?

4 hours ago, Zackny said:

I do but she doesn’t. Biking would be cool too. Any suggestions on places to stay in that area?

I've only been to West Yellowstone for a bike race.

Targhee has a hotel. Targhee is in WY, but you go through ID to get there. It's south of West Yellowstone. They will have snow. You can Nordic ski and fatbike there. Same trails and you can rent fatbikes. You can stay there or in Victor or Driggs. Both are a short drive to Targhee. The resort at Targhee is nice. Food and music in the Trap as well as a restaurant. In the summer it's one of my favorite places to mt bike. Targhee is laid back. 

Jackson is not far(25 miles from Victor), but you have to cross Teton pass. It's about an hour drive from Targhee. Most of the time it's fine, but if there is a big storm they close the pass. If you are renting a car in SLC, get all wheel drive like a Subaru or a small SUV. It's required on the pass when the chain law is in effect. If you come to Jackson, there a million hotels. I can take you up to GTNP park to ski. It's a beautiful Nordic trail. 28 miles round trip. You can do as little or as much as you want. It's an out and back. On a clear day, the view will blow your mind. It's not hard skiing, mostly flat with some hills on the Signal mtn end.

This groomed Nordic trail is possibly one of the most strikingly beautiful, iconic Nordic trails in North America, passing along the base of the core of the Teton Range in front of the Grand Teton, Teewinot, Nez Perce, and further along, Mt Moran. The views are breathtaking - equally dramatic on a clear sunny day as on a stormy cloudy day.

https://www.grandtarghee.com/

Nov 2017

R4lt-SVroLbigQnUDRzqB82gKMrLHUv67yp7UZmDAyQD7AYIuuWQJC2GXV9ayw6ce1FrOrae3F2M3BUtJqhF64zWq3bWU9duT0SI-7mYYetXei7bu4vWrFHGTFE7afoaGUINQQwDIprd4mDpa6XvCjL6i4vwDHGy2P4JfVYVKQXCSiGPE5xuva2s03ZIyH8EPR4EQG9q2Br_KTUvadQTkwOSbzFfq2q11c2HjiSDjoDBUsi24GDpINNndKaRugXoKXMr0i3iZWsiVMkkl-iWI0w0MJOmKnP8OJ6EZhf5I7bz1aRtxpucR4W38DcG_KiDwz-MsOArP8eITLb7QqkWQikRdTCZVPWZIay92OxMYLpzSvPUzjxT4VuxtoProNUvXJqcNhB2noSranAYtGIM365yKAcufX16yb4V8FlOyUMMSEsjYNHHf1Rt-bZwQv70tUBY8Dgzkh7S866hwq8JCE1PNYkG-opjD6sdONve1n0XebMTlvLyHR6VovbllG_Sq_hozb62Kbz2ny3wcocbV7opPjaIsqdNc7gUfXPqGDkgxqfX9-VlhqwNo1H9jmw9fHwVemH2TKBanlDIEy0T0hp_RODMAw8t_0xs-atZfhRXxCj_Ym8yzotTPoW4I1HPvAHk3h5GOlX9YZTWkLnbuaBueLmeEW8=w1044-h587-no

8 hours ago, dennis said:

I've only been to West Yellowstone for a bike race.

Targhee has a hotel. Targhee is in WY, but you go through ID to get there. It's south of West Yellowstone. They will have snow. You can Nordic ski and fatbike there. Same trails and you can rent fatbikes. You can stay there or in Victor or Driggs. Both are a short drive to Targhee. The resort at Targhee is nice. Food and music in the Trap as well as a restaurant. In the summer it's one of my favorite places to mt bike. Targhee is laid back. 

Jackson is not far(25 miles from Victor), but you have to cross Teton pass. It's about an hour drive from Targhee. Most of the time it's fine, but if there is a big storm they close the pass. If you are renting a car in SLC, get all wheel drive like a Subaru or a small SUV. It's required on the pass when the chain law is in effect. If you come to Jackson, there a million hotels. I can take you up to GTNP park to ski. It's a beautiful Nordic trail. 28 miles round trip. You can do as little or as much as you want. It's an out and back. On a clear day, the view will blow your mind. It's not hard skiing, mostly flat with some hills on the Signal mtn end.

This groomed Nordic trail is possibly one of the most strikingly beautiful, iconic Nordic trails in North America, passing along the base of the core of the Teton Range in front of the Grand Teton, Teewinot, Nez Perce, and further along, Mt Moran. The views are breathtaking - equally dramatic on a clear sunny day as on a stormy cloudy day.

https://www.grandtarghee.com/

Nov 2017

R4lt-SVroLbigQnUDRzqB82gKMrLHUv67yp7UZmDAyQD7AYIuuWQJC2GXV9ayw6ce1FrOrae3F2M3BUtJqhF64zWq3bWU9duT0SI-7mYYetXei7bu4vWrFHGTFE7afoaGUINQQwDIprd4mDpa6XvCjL6i4vwDHGy2P4JfVYVKQXCSiGPE5xuva2s03ZIyH8EPR4EQG9q2Br_KTUvadQTkwOSbzFfq2q11c2HjiSDjoDBUsi24GDpINNndKaRugXoKXMr0i3iZWsiVMkkl-iWI0w0MJOmKnP8OJ6EZhf5I7bz1aRtxpucR4W38DcG_KiDwz-MsOArP8eITLb7QqkWQikRdTCZVPWZIay92OxMYLpzSvPUzjxT4VuxtoProNUvXJqcNhB2noSranAYtGIM365yKAcufX16yb4V8FlOyUMMSEsjYNHHf1Rt-bZwQv70tUBY8Dgzkh7S866hwq8JCE1PNYkG-opjD6sdONve1n0XebMTlvLyHR6VovbllG_Sq_hozb62Kbz2ny3wcocbV7opPjaIsqdNc7gUfXPqGDkgxqfX9-VlhqwNo1H9jmw9fHwVemH2TKBanlDIEy0T0hp_RODMAw8t_0xs-atZfhRXxCj_Ym8yzotTPoW4I1HPvAHk3h5GOlX9YZTWkLnbuaBueLmeEW8=w1044-h587-no

I do think a few days in Jackson will be part of our trip. Looking forward to it?

• Heart 1