incredible questions re personal tax exemptions/deductions

shootingstar

https://www.moneysense.ca/save/taxes/embarrassing-tax-question/  from a 2017 article.

An excerpt of tax question highlights (Canada):

Q: “I’m a stripper and I purchase clothing to take off on stage. Can I claim the full expense in the year purchased?”

A: “Normally, clothing cannot be claimed as a business expense. However, in the case of a costume you use exclusively for business purposes, you are able to claim an amortized portion of the purchase price each year.”

Q: “My wife is due with our first child. Can the baby’s diapers be considered a tax deduction since the child will need to wear them at all times?”

A: Unfortunately, baby diapers are a personal expense and cannot be claimed. Sorry!

Q: “After getting divorced, I moved in with another man. Later, the relationship ended—all within the same year. Help! What should my marital status be?”

A: Your most recent relationship had not lasted long enough at the end of the year for you to be considered common-law. That means your marital status is still “divorced.”

Those actually seem like three "reasonable" questions - but maybe only for the US. Maybe CAnada has different rules?  I know in the US, there is a "work uniform" question and certainly some clothing has, in the past, had potential as a deduction.

And #3 is wacky - "divorced"???? That has no relevance down here in the states.  Does your taxes ask for marital status?  Even so, seems odd "divorced" would be an option.  

• Awesome 1

On 3/19/2019 at 6:57 AM, Razors Edge said:

Those actually seem like three "reasonable" questions - but maybe only for the US. Maybe CAnada has different rules?  I know in the US, there is a "work uniform" question and certainly some clothing has, in the past, had potential as a deduction.

And #3 is wacky - "divorced"???? That has no relevance down here in the states.  Does your taxes ask for marital status?  Even so, seems odd "divorced" would be an option.  

I believe the form asks for single, common law or married.  I don't recall divorced.

Just now, shootingstar said:

I believe the form asks for single, common law or married.  I don't recall divorced.

Does it matter when you get married? Or divorced? Say you get married July 1st. Does that count as "married" for the full year or "single" or single then married?  Likewise, say you are married for half the year and divorced for the second half? Do you get to pick  which saves you the most in taxes?

19 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Does it matter when you get married? Or divorced? Say you get married July 1st. Does that count as "married" for the full year or "single" or single then married?  Likewise, say you are married for half the year and divorced for the second half? Do you get to pick  which saves you the most in taxes?

Yes, there are some legal defined tax savings if one is officially married...in accordance to the federal Income Tax Act and its Regulations.  (I was tax law librarian once upon a time, so will state the statute and its regulations,)