Damned if you do, damned if you don't

late

This isn't about testosterone shots.

It's about low testosterone.

As part of my treatment, I got a massive dose of female hormones. I was supposed to do that for 2 years. But after the first year, I refused a second round of treatment. It was awful, and I still feel the effects, and it's been years.

So you can say I am biased, and if you do, I will mention a rolling donut. Just so we're clear.

T has been linked to heart disease, and there are some saying we should deliberately lower T. I have been struggling to get my T back, and I very much disagree. If you want to lower that risk, we know how you do it, diet and exercise.

T does a lot of good things, so as with most things, you need to balance the good and the bad. Speaking of which, extended periods of exercise lowers T. Which is not a problem for most, but as you age, your T drops. If I can get back to doing long rides, I will. But 50 miles or more are out of the question. I think.

As always, it's just one study. Science is a conversation, so expect a lot of interest, down the road, as other scientists weigh in with their new work.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/mar/06/testosterone-linked-to-higher-risk-of-heart-disease-research-finds

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/mar/06/testosterone-linked-to-higher-risk-of-heart-disease-research-finds

• Heart 2

It's actually the genetic variant that is indicated by the high T which leads to early death, the report on the study suggests. Poverty also plays a role. 

I don't like messing with that stuff directly. I already take a synthetic thyroid hormone and my high blood pressure may be related to hormone imbalance. Very complex.

So when you were taking female hormones did you discover your feminine side?

My wife took feminine hormones after her hysterectomy back in the eighties, it brought of her first round of estrogen receptive breast cancer. She has been taking estrogen blockers ever since. At one point she was drinking soy protein shakes back when it was believed to actually be good for you. That brought on massive stage four breast cancer all through her body. It’ snot good to mess with hormones.

28 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I don't know who invented soy beans but I don't think they are that good for you, at least not for men. I tried them for a while and rejected them as being supportive.

We read the labels on everything we buy now. They try to put that soy crap in everything. It is almost impossible to get away from soy lecithin but we won’t buy anything with soy oil or soy protein. 

20 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

We read the labels on everything we buy now. They try to put that soy crap in everything. It is almost impossible to get away from soy lecithin but we won’t buy anything with soy oil or soy protein. 

That sounds like a wise course.

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, late said:

T does a lot of good things, so as with most things, you need to balance the good and the bad. Speaking of which, extended periods of exercise lowers T. Which is not a problem for most, but as you age, your T drops.

The last time it was measured - about a decade ago - my T was in the normal range but near the lower end of it.  My doctor said he would prescribe steroids if the low T was causing problems for me, but said he'd advise against it in general.  I didn't need it and haven't considered it since.  But it may have something to do with lower energy and getting tired more quickly.