Have you tried Budweiser Copper Lager?

MoseySusan

10 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I'm not sure why anyone would ever actively choose any type of Budweiser. Or Coors. Or Miller. Just too many better options and more interesting paths to go down.

I tend to agree, except that the judgment call about “better and more interesting” requires one to know the least as well. I’m not going to write off a beer just because of the brand name.

4 minutes ago, roadsue said:

I tend to agree, except that the judgment call about “better and more interesting” requires one to know the least as well. I’m not going to write off a beer just because of the brand name.

Eventually, everyone has tried the "Biggies".  Now, if they were good, it might prompt me to try their other offerings, but for the most part, the biggest breweries are more about consistency over time and across plants.  Bud is bud is bud - from 1990 to 2000 to 2010 to now.  Bud Copper Lager may be exceptional and get some great reviews from folks you can trust, at which point, go for it! But, if there is a six pack of BCL next to a six pack of a unique brew from a smaller brewery you know you like, try the small brewery one.

Here's the latest "largest 50" small breweries list. Large enough to find in a grocery store near you, but still pretty small.  My wife keeps stealing my Troeganator (from #27), and #13 and #33 are usual winners in my fridge.

Bigger does not equal better, so don't ignore the local ones in your area if they aren't on this list.  If you're lucky, you might even be able to try a variety (maybe a flight) at the brewery/brewpub and see if one hits the spot.

image.thumb.png.426e384b22afdce069fe193e1badf70d.png

• Awesome 2

17 hours ago, jsharr said:

A few years ago Budweiser released a selection of their reserve beers.  I bought a six pack and really enjoyed it.  I may try this new one.

We have some friends where the guy used to work in the Bud plant in Newark and he had some of those limited release things and they weren't bad!  I would try the Copper Lager.  Bud itself is just too watery tasting for my tastes though.

7 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Here's the latest "largest 50" small breweries list. Large enough to find in a grocery store near you, but still pretty small.  My wife keeps stealing my Troeganator (from #27), and #13 and #33 are usual winners in my fridge.

50 is one of my favourites, and of course you can't go wrong with 13 (their IPA for the Holidays 12 pack was tremendous!), 33, 7, 14, 20, or 30.  Many more left to try!

• Heart 1

Yes, I tried it.  One of my fav beers is Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale.  It is pretty popular around these parts.  High ABV, lower IBU.  (8.2% and 19).  I think that this copper lager was created to try and compete with the likes of the bourbon barrel ale and other barrel aged brews.  Anything (wine, beers, kool aid) is aged in bourbon barrels these days and I think Bud wanted in on that market.  

I thought the beer was OK.  I bought a 6 pack of it and drank it on a camping trip.  I give it just an OK.  I would drink it again.  I would not go into a bar and order it if there were other options.  I would certainly not turn it down if someone bought it for me.  

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

3 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

Anything (wine, beers, kool aid) is aged in bourbon barrels these days and I think Bud wanted in on that market.

If I remember correctly, Bud doesn't actually age the beer in barrels. Rather they smash up the barrels and put the wood staves into the beer as part of the brewing process. I know that's what they do with 'Beechwood Aging' in regular Bud.

21 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

If I remember correctly, Bud doesn't actually age the beer in barrels. Rather they smash up the barrels and put the wood staves into the beer as part of the brewing process. I know that's what they do with 'Beechwood Aging' in regular Bud.

Yes, I think that you are correct.  

4 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

Yes, I tried it.  One of my fav beers is Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale.  It is pretty popular around these parts.  High ABV, lower IBU.  (8.2% and 19).  I think that this copper lager was created to try and compete with the likes of the bourbon barrel ale and other barrel aged brews.  Anything (wine, beers, kool aid) is aged in bourbon barrels these days and I think Bud wanted in on that market.  

I thought the beer was OK.  I bought a 6 pack of it and drank it on a camping trip.  I give it just an OK.  I would drink it again.  I would not go into a bar and order it if there were other options.  I would certainly not turn it down if someone bought it for me.  

A good review! Thanks for the insight.  I see most breweries doing similar things these days (have a couple in the fridge waiting for me), and I'm definitely in the low IBU taste preference group.  The Troegenator I referenced is 8.2% and 25 IBU, so similar in alcohol and bitterness.  I'll look for your recommendation next time I'm out and about. Probably have a chance since it shows Harris Teeter and Total Wine as carrying some of their beer.

image.png.cac6230e7b8520bcd448471bbc3cf669.png

image.png.7faa268bb1c752e889333e81f552d72e.png

• Heart 2

27 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

A good review! Thanks for the insight.  I see most breweries doing similar things these days (have a couple in the fridge waiting for me), and I'm definitely in the low IBU taste preference group.  The Troegenator I referenced is 8.2% and 25 IBU, so similar in alcohol and bitterness.  I'll look for your recommendation next time I'm out and about. Probably have a chance since it shows Harris Teeter and Total Wine as carrying some of their beer.

image.png.cac6230e7b8520bcd448471bbc3cf669.png

image.png.7faa268bb1c752e889333e81f552d72e.png

It's really good.  Can't have many of them as it seems very, um, sweet?  I don't know how to describe it.  It almost tastes like a desert to me.  Heavy and sweet.  Great after food.  Not something I would sit around and drink all day.  Wonderful if you're only planning on having 1 or 2.  It's a good primer if you want to start on it and then switch to something lighter.  

I just don't like a high IBU.  If you go to a bar that has "a ton of beers on tap" usually it's a porter and 53 different IPA's.  Seriously, screw that.  I would rather drink Coors (seriously).  I love the lower IBU brews, porters, some stouts, warmers... things like that.  

5 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

All you beer snobs can all go suck a mule's ass.  There are any number of reasons someone would choose a different beer than you, all valid reasons, too.

Besides, Zima rules!

Didn't we state we're NOT planning to drink Bud, Coors, or Miller? You're confusing the two groups.

1 hour ago, dennis said:

This place is messing with me. I had a dream about BCL last night. I was in a bar drinking a can of beer. Someone asked what I was drinking and I didn't know so I looked down at the can and it was BCL.

Stay out of my dreams please. 

Sounds more like a nightmare!

Signed,

Another Beer Snob

2 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

It's really good.  Can't have many of them as it seems very, um, sweet?  I don't know how to describe it.  It almost tastes like a desert to me.  Heavy and sweet.  Great after food.  Not something I would sit around and drink all day.  Wonderful if you're only planning on having 1 or 2.  It's a good primer if you want to start on it and then switch to something lighter.  

I just don't like a high IBU.  If you go to a bar that has "a ton of beers on tap" usually it's a porter and 53 different IPA's.  Seriously, screw that.  I would rather drink Coors (seriously).  I love the lower IBU brews, porters, some stouts, warmers... things like that.  

The higher the IBU's the better for me. 

sigh, I haven't brewed in a few years. I need to make a GOOD IPA. I miss high IBU beers.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

On 3/20/2019 at 10:17 AM, Razors Edge said:

I'm not sure why anyone would ever actively choose any type of Budweiser. Or Coors. Or Miller. Just too many better options and more interesting paths to go down.

I not the millionaire next door, but I agree with the millionaire in The Millionaire Next Door by Stanley and Danko who, when asked his favorite beer replied, "Free!"

If it's cheap and goes well with whatever I'm eating, I actively choose it. When I walk into the liquor store for beer, I usually ask, "What's cheap, cold, and good? I've gotten some interesting results from that question.

I agree there are excellent, higher-priced beers worth exploring, but there are also some from smaller brewers that are dirt cheap. There was a really cheap beer made by the Iron City brewery out of Pittsburgh called "Augustiner" that they discontinued but I considered superior to Miller, Coors, etc. and was usually the cheapest beer in the local liquor stores.

Note that back in the 1970's, people on the East Coast would gladly pay 2-3 times the price for Bud, etc. for the hard-to-get, always refrigerated Coors.  The price influenced the taste.  I think the same is true today of most of the craft beers I've tried.

On 3/21/2019 at 10:04 AM, Parr8hed said:

I just don't like a high IBU.  If you go to a bar that has "a ton of beers on tap" usually it's a porter and 53 different IPA's.  Seriously, screw that.

I am with you, I get pretty pissed when every damn beer is some grotesque attempt to out-hop the next guy.  Sometimes I like an over-hopped beer, but I am happiest with lagers, saisons, pilsners, kolschs, hefeweisses (with fruit), marzen, and all varieties of Zima.

• Heart 1