She don't lie, she don't lie, she don't lie

Randomguy

17 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

An interesting article this morning about High potency THC and psychosis.  

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/legal-pot/daily-use-high-potency-marijuana-linked-higher-rates-psychosis-study-n985151

I'm going to say that this advice will go largely unheeded.

Di Forti cautions that until more research is done, it is in most people’s best interest to stay away from high potency cannabis.

“If you want to experiment with it, do it rarely,” she said.

I will also say that people who are experiencing early symptoms of psychosis do smoke a lot of marijuana. So yeah, it's not surprising that high TCH, low CBD strains may make symptoms worse.

11 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I will also say that people who are experiencing early symptoms of psychosis do smoke a lot of marijuana. So yeah, it's not surprising that high TCH, low CBD strains may make symptoms worse.

gifopolis.com_1711006.gifgiphy.gif

31 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Yes.  I will say that we don't know the source organization of this study, so many people still want to paint pot as the devil weed because they are of the old school or the agenda favors one view over another.  Even if this study were actually accurate, it speaks nothing of clarifying whether psychotic folks are self medicating to help, rather than normal folks going all "reefer madness" on us all (you might remember how accurate that movie was).  You could probably make the same association with alcohol, pills, or wheatgrass juice.  People are going to take stuff to remove/add filters when stuff is not right internally, and the more whacked out you are, the more you will typically consume to alter your reality.

We have learned that everything people told us about marijuana is wrong, literally everything.  The government, anti-drug folks, everybody has been putting out disinformation to scare the scareable, so this has inoculated us to the point when we would doubt even valid anti-drug information, were it to be presented.  It works, I simply don't believe that "study".

13 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Yes.  I will say that we don't know the source organization of this study, so many people still want to paint pot as the devil weed because they are of the old school or the agenda favors one view over another.  Even if this study were actually accurate, it speaks nothing of clarifying whether psychotic folks are self medicating to help, rather than normal folks going all "reefer madness" on us all (you might remember how accurate that movie was).  You could probably make the same association with alcohol, pills, or wheatgrass juice.  People are going to take stuff to remove/add filters when stuff is not right internally, and the more whacked out you are, the more you will typically consume to alter your reality.

We have learned that everything people told us about marijuana is wrong, literally everything.  The government, anti-drug folks, everybody has been putting out disinformation to scare the scareable, so this has inoculated us to the point when we would doubt even valid anti-drug information, were it to be presented.  It works, I simply don't believe that "study".

The study was European based and one might presume that it avoids most of the anti drug US government bias.  After all, isn't Amsterdam (one of the source areas for the research) sort of an anti-anti place?

As for agenda over agenda..........well?

Just now, parodybot said:

Peru is not in Europe.

and
/and,(ə)n/
conjunction
  1. 1. 
    used to connect words of the same part of speech, clauses, or sentences, that are to be taken jointly.
    "bread and butter"
    synonyms: together with, along with, with, as well as, in addition to, includingalsotooMore

1 minute ago, Prophet Zacharia said:
and
/and,(ə)n/
conjunction
  1. 1. 
    used to connect words of the same part of speech, clauses, or sentences, that are to be taken jointly.
    "bread and butter"
    synonyms: together with, along with, with, as well as, in addition to, includingalsotooMore

I can now see why they did the studies in and Peru then.

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

An interesting article this morning about High potency THC and psychosis.  

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/legal-pot/daily-use-high-potency-marijuana-linked-higher-rates-psychosis-study-n985151

Growing up, my best friends youngest brother had psychotic episodes. He tried to stay stoned to avoid them.

So are you looking at a random sample, or are a percentage self-medicating in an attempt to avoid psychotic episodes?

Another problem is in the nature of psychotic breaks. If you have the potential, pretty much anything can trigger one, you just have to line up the ducks in a nice row, and off you go.

Stress and a cup of coffee can do it.

The real message here is that we need to keep recreational drugs out of the hands of teens, as much as we can. One of the ways we can do better that way is better education and social services.

One irony here is that where pot is illegal, it's often easier to get for a teen than booze.

" In 2015 the Toronto-based International Center for Science in Drug Policy issued a report—“State of the Evidence: Cannabis Use and Regulation”—that detailed this discrepancy. It cited a British study that estimated the significant rise in pot use should have produced, between 1990 and 2010, a 29 percent increase in schizophrenia cases among men and 12 percent among women. But according to other data, during the time when usage was thought to have grown most (1996 to 2005), the number of new schizophrenia cases remained stable or declined. “These findings strongly suggest that cannabis use does not cause schizophrenia,” the center’s report notes. "

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/link-between-adolescent-pot-smoking-and-psychosis-strengthens/

3 hours ago, jsharr said:

I thought weed could make you sort of goofy?  

Sometimes.

When I first started using pot, a friend was growing medical weed, and part of an organisation of growers. So he would have a lot of different pots to try. I tried this one strain, he didn't even know what it was, and I just started laughing, and didn't stop for a couple minutes. I felt like Data when Q gave him the gift of laughter. I didn't know why, but it was wonderful. Which is really nice when you have cancer.

I'd love to know what that strain was.