How music made me realize I am getting old

jsharr

Recently, music has started to tell me I am old.  I have heard that after about age 35, people quit seeking out new music.  I think I agree with this.  I used to love to find new stuff, now I stay on the 80s channel or First Wave of old school rap on Sirius.

Not long ago, I was getting on the elevator in the lobby and heard Depeche Mode as the lobby music.  Have also heard Echo and the Bunnymen.  This was cutting edge stuff back in the day.  Now it is elevator music.

Watching TV last night, a Fidelity Investments commercial came on.  The soundbed was the music to a song by Icicle Works called Birds Fly or Whisper to a Scream, depending on if you are listening to a UK or American version of the song.

Sort of sad the the club songs I used to dance to with my frosted tipped hair pulled back in a pony tail and ear ring are now used to sell investment services. 

• Heart 3

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

I have heard that after about age 35, people quit seeking out new music.  I think I agree with this. 

I would too. Haven't thought about it but you're probably correct. There are some bands that still put out new, like Metallica did a couple of years ago so I bought the CD. I didn't seek it, I heard mention of it and bought it. But I don't seek out new groups. I stick w/ what I like.

Music wise, when I was say 30 or under, I listened to music on the RADIO all the time in the car. If it wasn't music on the radio, it was music on a CD.  In any case, post-30, I drove less and when I did listen to the radio, it was to NPR or even just news/traffic/weather.  :(

I add maybe 10% of what I used to to my music collection these days.  Went from like a CD a week back in 80s/90s, to a CD-equivalent a month or less these days. But also never stream music, yet will put on the classic rock Music Choice channel during dinner prep.

I like “new to me” music. I sometimes get all excited about what I found and then see it was released 3 or four or five years ago. There is such a wealth of music available to us now that it’s impossible to listen to it all. I don’t waste time listening to what I don’t like.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, dennis said:

I bought a copy of this yesterday. 

I Would Rather Be a Buffalo copy.jpg

You sir are an outlier.  We aspire to be like you, but we will fail.  Enjoy your snow and freedom and wildlife filled highways with your new music and gourmet coffee.  I will be over here drinking 7-11 coffee and listening to the Beastie Boys.

• Haha 2

I still listen and find new music all the time, but I don't actively seek it out.  It usually finds me by means of television show's closing credits or just out in the world, Soundhoud id's the song and the artist for me.  A far cry from when I dj'd at Ohio State, but it is something and you have new things to listen to all the time.

• Heart 2

Just now, jsharr said:

You sir are an outlier.  We aspire to be like you, but we will fail.  Enjoy your snow and freedom and wildlife filled highways with your new music and gourmet coffee.  I will be over here drinking 7-11 coffee and listening to the Beastie Boys.

They have a new book. Nothing wrong with reading, listening to music, and enjoying life.

Cover image for Beastie Boys book

36 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Recently, music has started to tell me I am old.  I have heard that after about age 35, people quit seeking out new music.  I think I agree with this.  I used to love to find new stuff, now I stay on the 80s channel or First Wave of old school rap on Sirius.

Not long ago, I was getting on the elevator in the lobby and heard Depeche Mode as the lobby music.  Have also heard Echo and the Bunnymen.  This was cutting edge stuff back in the day.  Now it is elevator music.

Watching TV last night, a Fidelity Investments commercial came on.  The soundbed was the music to a song by Icicle Works called Birds Fly or Whisper to a Scream, depending on if you are listening to a UK or American version of the song.

Sort of sad the the club songs I used to dance to with my frosted tipped hair pulled back in a pony tail and ear ring are now used to sell investment services. 

We must be from similar eras as I listen to 1st Wave, 80’s on 8 and Lithium mostly.  

The other day my wife & daughter were talking about the song Shallow and I said I never hear it on the radio, only saw it in the movie.  Wife: says the guy who doesn’t listen to anything past the 90’s.... Oh yeah good point.

• Heart 1

• 4 years later...
On 3/20/2019 at 12:34 PM, Prophet Zacharia said:

Anyone a Modest Mouse fan? They open for the Black Keys. This one sounds kinda Hawai’ian. Or maybe Hawai'i is just still on my brain.

I love The Black Keys and Modest Mouse is a great opener for them.

I dredged this thread up because I am going to see The Record Company next week and this was the only one of 8 hits for that phrase in the forum that was capitalized. :D @BR46 and @team scooter, a WI band.  And @dinneR, speaking of WI bands, I saw Garbage a few weeks ago and they have held up very well. It was kickass. :) 

Most of my music comes from WXPN which plays a great to me mix of new and classic stuffs.  Also Radio Paradise which is similar, but maybe a little more biased toward older stuffs. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I listen to less music now because there are so many good tv options. :nodhead:  I usually only listen to music when I'm in the car.  Like @Randomguy said, I'll sometimes pick up a new song or artist from tv or movies.

I was having trouble getting to sleep a few weeks ago so I decided to play Sirius's Yacht Rock Channel for some oldie, soothing music, and I was surprised how so many of the songs were bringing back college memories.

I don’t actively pursue new music, but I do homework if I hear something I like. Spotify does a good job in Discover Weekly of finding things I will check out.. or rediscover. Last week a song sounded slightly familiar in the playlist. It was by Lloyd Cole and the Commotions. We played “Rattlesnakes” at the record store often. I hadn’t listened to it in 30 years, though. I streamed the “Rattlesnakes” album. Some songs clicked right away. Others were like hearing the first time. 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Ralphie said:

I love The Black Keys and Modest Mouse is a great opener for them.

I dredged this thread up because I am going to see The Record Company next week and this was the only one of 8 hits for that phrase in the forum that was capitalized. :D @BR46 and @team scooter, a WI band.  And @dinneR, speaking of WI bands, I saw Garbage a few weeks ago and they have held up very well. It was kickass. :) 

Most of my music comes from WXPN which plays a great to me mix of new and classic stuffs.  Also Radio Paradise which is similar, but maybe a little more biased toward older stuffs. 

I have never seen Garbage live, but saw Butch and Doug in Firetown back in the day.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2019 at 9:50 AM, jsharr said:

All these years later, are you still drinking 7/11 coffee?

• Heart 1

21 hours ago, groupw said:

I don’t actively pursue new music, but I do homework if I hear something I like. Spotify does a good job in Discover Weekly of finding things I will check out.. or rediscover. Last week a song sounded slightly familiar in the playlist. It was by Lloyd Cole and the Commotions. We played “Rattlesnakes” at the record store often. I hadn’t listened to it in 30 years, though. I streamed the “Rattlesnakes” album. Some songs clicked right away. Others were like hearing the first time. 

Wow, I thought I was the only person in the world who kne about LC and the Commotions!  I listed to Brand New Friend a couple of days ago. 

• Heart 1

For me, it wasn't music itself, it's what device it's played on that first made me realize I was getting older as I approached age 50.

When I taught Physics and was teaching about circular motion, I would mention that speed is measured in terms of the amount of rotation per unit time: like 45 rpm records where rpm means revolutions per minute.

By the later 90's, the teenagers would stare blankly at me: many of them had never seen a record or a record player!

• Heart 1

On 3/20/2019 at 8:31 AM, jsharr said:

They obviously are playing music to their prospective clients. You may not have liked their music but they are “banking” that you are old enough and wealthy enough to use their products. I think they were right? Not that someone that wears blackbox socks needs the help.