For Wilbur and other airplane fans.

maddmaxx

11 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Cool.  Must be lots of switch flipping to get into that inverted flat spin. 

When as much as 1/3 of each flying surface is movable the control authority is unreal.  It's almost as if the engine had control surfaces and little else.  I believe that most of the control is done with the traditional 2 stick radio control with a switch for smoke.  It's Europe so it's very possible that it's mode 1 control with the aileron and throttle on the right stick and rudder elevator on the left.  Here we do mode 2 where the throttle is moved to the left and the elevator to the right.

They tend to use the belt and tray system to hold the transmitter flat in front of the pilot and they hold the sticks between thumb and finger in the traditional manner while most of us here fly with thumbs on top of the sticks.

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Here's a bit of what happens when you have a very light airframe, a very powerful motor with great throttle response and pilot skills that I for one will never master.  Here for your edification and amazement..........Radio Control 3D flight.

Is this as good as my crash video a few weeks ago? That was a fun series of videos.

10 minutes ago, Further said:

What kind of engine is in that ?

I'm not sure.  It's at least some version of an advanced weed eater but it could well be a large displacement multi cylinder Model airplane motor.  It sounds like it's running on gasoline, not alcohol and nitro.

10 hours ago, Further said:

What kind of engine is in that ?

I have a better answer for you now.  The aircraft is a 35% of full size kit from Krill Models.  The kit is designed for an engine such as this although I don't know if that exact version is in that plane in the video.  The pilot in the video is the designer of the model airframe and he also flys a 41% version.  I can't determine which is in the video.

https://toni-clark-shop.com/Desert-Aircraft-DA-100L_1

Desert Aircraft DA-100L

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

5 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I don't want to know.....

The engine is 1,238 euros slightly discounted.  That's far out of my league.  The airframe kit is relatively inexpensive, coming in somewhere in the $300's.  Add another couple of thousand for the RC equipment (very large very expensive servo's for the flight controls) and you well into plastic bike range.  I can't afford those either.

13 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I have a better answer for you now.  The aircraft is a 35% of full size kit from Krill Models.  The kit is designed for an engine such as this although I don't know if that exact version is in that plane in the video.  The pilot in the video is the designer of the model airframe and he also flys a 41% version.  I can't determine which is in the video.

https://toni-clark-shop.com/Desert-Aircraft-DA-100L_1

Desert Aircraft DA-100L

Any idea how much liability insurance you need on something like that ?

My first couple motorcycles had smaller engines

1 hour ago, Further said:

Any idea how much liability insurance you need on something like that ?

My first couple motorcycles had smaller engines

AMA members carry a large insurance policy that comes with the membership.  No responsible club will let you fly at their field without the membership.  I'm not sure how that works in Europe.  I don't even know if the AMA has a European presence.  If I were flying something that size I believe I'd get an umbrella policy through my insurance company to cover additional liability.

• Heart 1