Dang, just lost a former coworker..

Wilbur

Great guy, worked in HR and was a fun person to spend time with.    About 7 years ago he went vegan to prevent illness.  Died of cancer.   Then I start thinking to myself,  I have known 8 vegetarians or vegans that have diesdof stomach and bowel cancer.  

Hmm.. Have you vegetarian/vegan types investigated long term health effects? 

• Sad 4

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Great guy, worked in HR and was a fun person to spend time with.    About 7 years ago he went vegan to prevent illness.  Died of cancer.   Then I start thinking to myself,  I have known 8 vegetarians or vegans that have diesdof stomach and bowel cancer.  

You should ask KrazyJames or the super-vegan SW.

But cancer seems to have a multitude of causes. I've known dozens, maybe even a hundred folks who are non-vegan/vegetarians who have had cancer. I wonder if there is a link there?

3 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Excuse me, I shouldn’t have laughed at that.

It is laughable because of the wording but yeah, sad thing.  It is a radical diet.  There is no such a thing as essential carbs.  Protein and fats are essential though.  I am wondering if there is something in that?  I suspect so.  Of course, Roundup may also be a big factor. 

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yep. Respect usually starts and ends at not blaming the dead.

Looking for another response to report? 

I had a lot of respect for the man.  One of the few HR types that actually cared about employees.  Questioning his choice isn't passing judgement, nor is it disrespectful so maybe just back away from threads you can't be civil in. 

50 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

You really should take this to P&R.  There's someone there who would just love to discuss it.  He's lonely.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Now, how about some input from the non-trolls?  Maybe some of those who are practicing vegetarians.

my wife has been a vegetarian since she was 8 years old and now she is 40. she's not had really any major health issues besides hyperthyroidism. I'm not really sure what the long-term effects were going to be or would be in a person that is a vegetarian or a vegan. Everybody's body is different and reacts different throughout their stages of life.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Roundup is nasty stuff.  We have a light version up here so I have to import it from the US to get the real stuff. :) 

Sorry...roundup is not the good stuff. The good stuff is Crossbow. But they work on different plants. For blackberry bushes Crossbow is da bomb. 

• Heart 1

10 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I know a bunch of people who developed lung cancer years after they quit smoking, so I guess these former smokers didn’t investigate the long term health effects of quitting. I also know a few smokers who believe their smoking is preventing cancer, that if they were to stop smoking, then their health would be at risk. These people are invariably on antipsychotic medications, though.

• Whatever 1

Long term vegetarian diet changes human DNA raising risk of cancer and heart disease

•  
  •  
  •  
Save
Traditional vegetarian populations can develop genetic mutations which raise their risk of heart disease and cancer  Populations who have had a primarily vegetarian diet for generations carried a genetic mutation which raised risk of cancer and heart disease CREDIT: CULTURA
29 MARCH 2016 • 10:15PM
Follow 

Long term vegetarianism can lead to genetic mutations which raise the risk of heart disease and cancer, scientists have found.

Populations who have had a primarily vegetarian diet for generations were found to be far more likely to carry DNA which makes them susceptible to inflammation.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

Long term vegetarian diet changes human DNA raising risk of cancer and heart disease

•  
  •  
  •  
Save
Traditional vegetarian populations can develop genetic mutations which raise their risk of heart disease and cancer  Populations who have had a primarily vegetarian diet for generations carried a genetic mutation which raised risk of cancer and heart disease CREDIT: CULTURA
29 MARCH 2016 • 10:15PM
Follow 

Long term vegetarianism can lead to genetic mutations which raise the risk of heart disease and cancer, scientists have found.

Populations who have had a primarily vegetarian diet for generations were found to be far more likely to carry DNA which makes them susceptible to inflammation.

James? Is that you?

There are several studies that link vegetarian diet to cancer.  There are few studies of long term carnivore diets.  Keto, has been used since the 1920’s to treat childhood epilepsy and it has shown no ill effect on long term health.  Now it is being studied to treat Alzheimer’s.  My money is on intermittent fasting as the winner though.  Science is proving that daily.  I just find it odd, so many I have known to be vegetarians are also known to have been taken out by cancer. 

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

There are several studies that link vegetarian diet to cancer.  There are few studies of long term carnivore diets.  Keto, has been used since the 1920’s to treat childhood epilepsy and it has shown no ill effect on long term health.  Now it is being studied to treat Alzheimer’s.  My money is on intermittent fasting as the winner though.  Science is proving that daily.  I just find it odd, so many I have known to be vegetarians are also known to have been taken out by cancer. 

It really depends on what you eat instead of the carbs. Some studies show increased risk of death after two years following a keto diet. 

30 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I think we have a small wick that'll burn quick and we are all gonna die anyway.  No sense going through it all and feeling unhealthy all the time from eating horrible things for you all the time, and there is no sense feeling miserable all the time because of some freaky no-fun diet all the time.  

The animals are practically begging you to eat them, they wouldn't run away if they didn't want you to chase them.  The veggies just sit there and stare stupidly at you, because they know you'd rather have a big-ass medium rare beautiful hard-on inducing steak and some fucking beer instead of a pile of twigs and bark.  You might want pie afterwards, who knows?  You can't not have diet variation all the time, you know, because then you would be some extremist serial-killing nazi Jesus freak or other. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

I think we have a small wick that'll burn quick and we are all gonna die anyway.  No sense going through it all and feeling unhealthy all the time from eating horrible things for you all the time, and there is no sense feeling miserable all the time because of some freaky no-fun diet all the time.  

The animals are practically begging you to eat them, they wouldn't run away if they didn't want you to chase them.  The veggies just sit there and stare stupidly at you, because they know you'd rather have a big-ass medium rare beautiful hard-on inducing steak and some fucking beer instead of a pile of twigs and bark.  You might want pie afterwards, who knows?  You can't not have diet variation all the time, you know, because then you would be some extremist serial-killing nazi Jesus freak or other. 

tumblr_lph0u1p8bi1qfvq9bo1_1280.jpg

• Heart 2