Can You Do This With A GoFundMe Thingey?

Razors Edge

Say you create a GoFundMe site and come up with a good pitch.  Maybe some sort of important surgery or a good catchy sob story.  Is it cool to just collect the money and do something else with it? Is there anything wrong with that or is it just the normal "I trust you to do what is best for you with my donation" sort of thing?

Asking for a friend (not PETITE!).

• Sad 1

Yes  it's wrong and criminal, it's getting money under fraudulent pretenses .  Here's an article describing a few people who found this out the hard way

https://www.nj.com/news/2018/09/crowdfunding_scams_that_cost_more_than_the_homeles.html

Victoria Morrison of Carson City, Nevada, faked her son Blake's terminal illness and launched a GoFundMe campaign meant to raise money for the boy's bucket list.

Morrison raised $2,000 in the campaign, which lasted over a month. Morrison was arrested in April 2017 and charged with obtaining money by false pretenses, according to the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

Morrison pled guilty in May. According to KTVN, she faces a minimum of five years and up to 12 and a half years in prison.

10 minutes ago, Further said:

I certainly hope that you know it is wrong. I thought you were asking about legality.

So like "how wrong" and "how illegal"?  Say I promised a big party/wedding/anniversary, and realized I could stage it for a tenth of the amount I raised (from folks who willingly offered money).  I pocketed the difference. Would that matter? Again, the party happened, and I just had some left over due to proper budgeting (or cutting corners?).  I will at least remember the nice folks who gave me some dineros for the party.  You all wanted the party to be great, it was (to me), and I just happened to also get a nice windfall. Win-win!

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

So like "how wrong" and "how illegal"?  Say I promised a big party/wedding/anniversary, and realized I could stage it for a tenth of the amount I raised (from folks who willingly offered money).  I pocketed the difference. Would that matter? Again, the party happened, and I just had some left over due to proper budgeting (or cutting corners?).  I will at least remember the nice folks who gave me some dineros for the party.  You all wanted the party to be great, it was (to me), and I just happened to also get a nice windfall. Win-win!

you are not a 505(c)3. You are not reporting to the IRS. Spend away. But 1's & 5's. No big bills...so titty bar is perfect

• Heart 1