No doubt about this larger predator.

maddmaxx

45 minutes ago, donkpow said:

For a few years, I collected the trimmings from the orchard and piled them in the garden. With a row of juniper bushes across the back of the yard, our yard became a killing field for the hawks and cats.

The leftovers from the nightly feed of the larger animals also attract smaller critters and birds in the daylight hours.  We've seen more hawks and owls this year than ever before.  I guess it's our fault for baiting the trap.

I often see hawks at work when I take hikes in the woods around here.  It's quite amazing to watch a hawk stoop in a wooded area.  You'd think they had radar or something like what a bat has while they are diving through the trees to hit something on the ground.

A few weekends ago our granddaughter got super angry that our dog Maggie was chasing away the birds in our yard. Our son was explaining about nature and the whole predator/prey thing when a Harrier Hawk swopped in caught and started dinning on one of the Sparrows. It didn't even wait till it was dead. I said, maybe Maggie was trying to warn them. :unsure:

Poor girl probably needs counselling now. :(