What's The Story On Tow Hooks

Razors Edge

18 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

...on ratty cars?  You know, the anodized ones that seem to be popping up on the front and/or rear of all sorts of cars these days as aftermarket add-ons?  Does @maddmaxx know about these things?

Dooshes. Same people who have balls on their trucks.j

• Awesome 1

Not sure about the add ons that you are referencing, but the loops front and back that have been on our last few cars were for tying the cars down during transport.  I've not tried to use them as tow hooks, and probably will not try this in the future.  I've even been cautioned about using a handy man jack on the front of the pu, because if not used properly could set off the air bag.

They are race car tow hooks, usually painted red so that the track crew can quickly hook up and pull a dead car off the track.  They are mandatory in most sports classes including Le Mans race cars etc.  I guess that the racy look without having to spring for real money on racy parts is cool for millennials.

• Heart 1

56 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I was wondering that too.  

JDM is Japanese Domestic Market.  Basically goods made in Japan aimed at the Japanese taste and made to conform to Japanese laws or standards, be it cars, or motorcycles.  

That asshat @Prophet Zacharia needs to chill out and give me time to answer his questions instead of answering them himself and them acting like I did something wrong when I answered the next guy who asked.

Sheesh.  Probably has tow hooks on his car

image.jpeg.68be8193524e92e7c8067c4c18fb694f.jpeg

• Heart 1

A lot of modern cars have tow hooks because it's dangerous to hook onto the ends of cars these days with the crash bumpers and what not.  If you look at new cars you will usually find one or two square inserts in the front fascia.  Those are pop outs and behind the will be the authorized tow hook that's attached to something really solid on the chassis.  For normal people they are hidden and not garish race car replicas.

Image result for front bumper tow cover

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

A lot of modern cars have tow hooks because it's dangerous to hook onto the ends of cars these days with the crash bumpers and what not.  If you look at new cars you will usually find one or two square inserts in the front fascia.  Those are pop outs and behind the will be the authorized tow hook that's attached to something really solid on the chassis.  For normal people they are hidden and not garish race car replicas.

Image result for front bumper tow cover

Good to know!!! 

1 hour ago, sheep_herder said:

Not sure about the add ons that you are referencing, but the loops front and back that have been on our last few cars were for tying the cars down during transport.  I've not tried to use them as tow hooks, and probably will not try this in the future.  I've even been cautioned about using a handy man jack on the front of the pu, because if not used properly could set off the air bag.

Huh!! Interesting. We change our own oil but no longer have access to a house. We jack up one side of our trucks to get under them, change the oil, let the truck down off the jack. No problem. Never thought about the air bags.

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

So, apparently jsharr has seen these things too!

I was sitting a Scholtzkys (funny name, great sandwich) one day, enjoying my original, when a "riced out" VW Jetta pulls up.  Covered in Japanese tuner stickers, lowered, tow hooks, custom wheels, fart can exhaust.  I looked at my boss and asked if the theme of the car was "countries whose ass we kicked in WWII"?  and then we just laughed and laughed.  The end.

Image result for schlotzsky's original

• Heart 1

I think that a lot of people put them on their cars so you think that they do track days. Just like the suv that has all the off road gadget from the accessory catalog pages 9 through 27.

And the only off road trip was a parking lot 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BR46 said:

I think that a lot of people put them on their cars so you think that they do track days. Just like the suv that has all the off road gadget from the accessory catalog pages 9 through 27.

And the only off road trip was a parking lot 

That would be the spotless pearl white Lexus SUV with black brush guards???

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/21/2019 at 12:04 PM, jsharr said:

I was sitting a Scholtzkys (funny name, great sandwich) one day, enjoying my original, when a "riced out" VW Jetta pulls up.  Covered in Japanese tuner stickers, lowered, tow hooks, custom wheels, fart can exhaust.  I looked at my boss and asked if the theme of the car was "countries whose ass we kicked in WWII"?  and then we just laughed and laughed.  The end.

Image result for schlotzsky's original

I miss Schlotzky’s! They closed the ones in Lincoln and Omaha. I stumbled onto one in Santa Fe 2 years ago. WoW was very happy when I stopped there in our trip last year!

• Awesome 1

Tow hooks are used on the assembly line to pull the vehicle on down the line.They decided to just leave them on because it cost less than taking them back off and scraping them.A really smart move because then they charge the buyer extra cost for the hooks.

• Awesome 1