A Day In The Life...

Razors Edge

...of @donkpow or any other commuter :(

WASHINGTON, DC -- An editor at The Washington Post who was riding his bicycle in D.C. earlier this week was suddenly accosted by a car's passenger, who threw an open can of beer at him and then returned after he dropped his phone in the road to brandish what appeared to the cyclist to be a knife, according to a report. Video of the incident is embedded below.

Andrew Heining was riding along East Basin Drive near the Jefferson Memorial when a car passed him, and the passenger opened the right-side rear door and tossed an open can of beer toward him, according to a DCist report.

The passenger then apparently dropped his phone in the roadway, and Heining grabbed it. The car returned and the person who may have thrown the beer appears to the cyclist to pull a knife out of his pocket. The whole incident was captured on video.

The video shows Park Police and Metropolitan Police patting down the suspect, who was arrested according to the report.

There was no information immediately available on the identity of the suspect, or what prompted the confrontation.

I was just considering adding the Cycliq video/lights to my bikes which is what it looks like he was using:

I have to say the percentage of courteous and considerate motorists is extremely high. Consider the thousands of cars that pass you by in some given time frame and of those, only a few cause problems. Of those few that cause problems, the minority act maliciously. The experience is amazingly positive when you think about it. You can get a camera. It's a pain in the ass but might prove something if you need it to. Unfortunately, the camera can also be used against scofflaw cyclists. ?

• Heart 1

10 hours ago, donkpow said:

I have to say the percentage of courteous and considerate motorists is extremely high. Consider the thousands of cars that pass you by in some given time frame and of those, only a few cause problems. Of those few that cause problems, the minority act maliciously. The experience is amazingly positive when you think about it. You can get a camera. It's a pain in the ass but might prove something if you need it to. Unfortunately, the camera can also be used against scofflaw cyclists. ?

You are correct.  But, given your recent situation where you were hit by a kind woman, I'm guessing the video might show that she was also a kind women distracted by texting or something else.  The $500k you are entitled to may hang in the balance.

• Haha 1

I've seen discourteous car drivers and cyclists.

One day on the Baltimore and Annapolis Bike Trail - which crosses many roads - I rode up to a two-lanes-each-way road crossing where two cyclists were stopped.  They explained to me that we couldn't cross because of the maniac on the other side of the road.  He was a large man with a red beard and hair and his face was flushed red as well, standing astride the crossing lane.

The two cyclists told me that a cyclist had crossed against the red hand on the bike crossing sign and caused the red guy to slam on his brakes and swerve.  The red guy then flipped a finger at the cyclist and, not paying attention to his driving, ran his car into the curb and flattened his front passenger side tire.  That's when he just lost it.  He got out of the car and dared the two guys - then me - to try to cross the road, screaming continuously in a semi-coherent rant at us.

The cyclists had phoned the police and the ranting went on for a couple more minutes until the police showed up.  I gave a short statement and said I had no wish to press charges - as did the other two cyclists - then I rode on.  End of story.

3 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I've seen discourteous car drivers and cyclists.

One day on the Baltimore and Annapolis Bike Trail - which crosses many roads - I rode up to a two-lanes-each-way road crossing where two cyclists were stopped.  They explained to me that we couldn't cross because of the maniac on the other side of the road.  He was a large man with a red beard and hair and his face was flushed red as well, standing astride the crossing lane.

The two cyclists told me that a cyclist had crossed against the red hand on the bike crossing sign and caused the red guy to slam on his brakes and swerve.  The red guy then flipped a finger at the cyclist and, not paying attention to his driving, ran his car into the curb and flattened his front passenger side tire.  That's when he just lost it.  He got out of the car and dared the two guys - then me - to try to cross the road, screaming continuously in a semi-coherent rant at us.

The cyclists had phoned the police and the ranting went on for a couple more minutes until the police showed up.  I gave a short statement and said I had no wish to press charges - as did the other two cyclists - then I rode on.  End of story.

Seems no one in MD packs an Uzi anymore :(

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1