So who is planning a summer vacation?

Kirby

Now that spring is here, has anyone started planning their summer vacation, or even a spring vacation?    I've got reservations for  Lake Placid during the summer, but they're more of a placeholder at the moment.   So what trips  do you have planned or what are you dreaming of?

We reserved a cabin near Quebec City (lac St Jean) for four nights to do some riding in that area. Will spend a long weekend inNH for SW’s little ride through the hills and we have a couple day backpack trip in north PA planned. No big trips til next winter.

• Heart 1

I need a vacation but everything is on hold right now. This year’s GOBA sounds like the perfect year to go. They ride into the Port Clinton area and then hang out in that area along the shore of Lake Erie doing day trips or enjoying the beaches. If my wife would be well enough to be on her own that week I probably would’t Know that until it’s too late to make a reservation.

If my wife gets her balance back we will probably fly down and visit our son and his family in Georgia.

• Heart 2

If our large group is going somewhere for about a week, the two women in the group who do most of the prep work are asking us for money for deposits on a cruise, a cabin in the woods, etc.  We haven't had that this year.  We may go on a few day vacation in Virginia to Williamsburg & Bush Gardens & Water Country in the summer.

I'm thinking about a Baltic Cruise.

• Heart 1

The annual trip to Switzerland is all booked. Couldn't get off as cheaply as prior years but at least room and board is free. Trying a new airline and will be a direct flight to Zurich. Longer train ride (2 hours vs 40 minutes) from airport but no connection in the hell-holes known as Newark or Washington Dulles airports which provided early AM arrivals, or European connections which had mid afternoon arrivals in Geneva. 

Least favorite is Gatwick. While loved the direct Virgin Atlantic flight it is the connections and airport crowd management that is the problem. Both BA and Virgin have direct flights, but to stay with them would be bussed to Heathrow for the connection. EasyJet (i.e. cheap. no frills) has connection from Gatwick with 4 hour layover but after going through customs and retrieving luggage, can't check in until two hours before the flight. Few restaurants/shops in check-in area as most post check-in security clearance in a gigantic mall. To make matters worse - a Gatwick people management issue - 100% of all passengers are stuck in the mall area as they don't publish the gate for all flights until about 30 minutes when ready for boarding.

Trying Edelweiss (part of Lufthansa/Swiss Air) this year which is a "discount international airline" but I didn't see the discount part and only flies one day a week to Orlando - Friday is good - and seating along the window aisle was 2 across so didn't have to share with a third person. Almost flew Lufthansa to Frankfurt as love the 747 (like Virgin also flies) but aborted the reservation when saw seating was 3 across or the even larger middle group - unlike Virgin who maintained 2 across. 

• Heart 1

ya know, the coffee and donuts at PIke's Peak aren't that great, but it's the thing to do....

Lesseeee.... Couple days next week in Atlantic City but that's kind of a working vacation.  Memorial day weekend camping in Virginia with a Bar Mitzvah thrown in.  Mid June, Palo Alto for DiL's graduation (yay!), we'll hike and do Alcatraz while we're there.  July 4th weekend we'll do the Grand Canyon to Jersey Shore ride.   2 weeks in Vermont in August.  Maybe sprinkle a couple close by weekend camping trips in there.  Other than that, I got nuthin'

• Heart 2

5 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

You'll miss me by a day :D  We'll be camping at Cape Henlopen starting on the 23rd.

I camped there as my summer vacation for many years as a kid. August during the meteor showers.

THat was our planned week, but we had to move it a week early due to a wedding in the DR that we are going to that week. 

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, BuffJim said:

thought about going to Denver and driving around Colorado and New Mexico. 

Jim, not knowing your purpose for CO and NM...if it's to get a flavor of the west...let me throw out an alternate idea...Go to Utah and visit all the National Parks in the state, and add on the Grand Canyon as well. 

• Heart 4

2 hours ago, Goat Geddah said:

Jim, not knowing your purpose for CO and NM...if it's to get a flavor of the west...let me throw out an alternate idea...Go to Utah and visit all the National Parks in the state, and add on the Grand Canyon as well. 

We did that a few years ago. I would highly recommend it.

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, team scooter said:

Anyone want to meet in early June at the summit house on Pikes peak for donuts and coffee? :D

https://coloradosprings.gov/pikes-peak-americas-mountain

The Pikes Peak hillclimb is on my bucket list. The entry fee is a little high. 

22 hours ago, Kirby said:

Now that spring is here, has anyone started planning their summer vacation, or even a spring vacation?   

Our vacation is planned in December when the race schedule is posted. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

You do know you can’t take your race bikes for that?

We'll be driving our little car up, but there's tons of biking, both pedal and motor in that area. The motel we plan to stay at will even shuttle you up the mountain and let you coast down. 

My offer still stands. Anyone that wants to meet late May early June (mas o menos) at the top of Pikes Peak, the stale donuts and coffee are on me. And the offer will still stand at the Sandia Crest peak in Albuquerque a few days later as well. :D

https://www.cycleworld.com/racing-pikes-peak

https://coloradospringssports.org/index.php/events/pikes-peak-cycling-hill-climb-main

https://www.bikepikespeak.com/

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Nothing specific planned. A few long weekends here and there. Some will depend on how bad the state gets torn up by all the flooding! There are already highways washed out and bridges gone in some areas we would like to go. There is still a great deal of snow melt and forecasted rain. ?

• Heart 1

I haven't really thought of summer vacation in that way... as the only time to take vacation.

Will be in Vancouver in spring for cherry blossoms that burst all over the city.  It's beautiful against the local mountains and ocean shoreline, next best thing to going to Japan. https://www.vcbf.ca/  Because Metro Vancouver also has a high Asian descent demographic,....it would be a totally different feel than ...ie. Washington DC. for cherry blossoms.  

Side short trip to Seattle.  

Toronto in late summer onward..primarily for family, but still I miss Toronto for its insane creativity and drive...and lots of trees.  Yea, there's lots of tree ...you just need to fly overhead and look down. There are whole ravine park pathways across the City ..full of trees.  I'm actually tried trying to explain Toronto to people in a prairie city (which I find abit barren at times..).  Most likely take a side bike trip to Niagara-on-the-Lake in the wine country. I would like to visit my childhood city where I grew ...outside of Toronto. I haven't visited for past 20 yrs.

• Heart 2

4 hours ago, Dottles said:

I'm replacing a deck this summer. That means a staycation this year.

How freaking big is your deck that it takes all summer to replace???

No plans to venture off the continent this year, but we will be spending about 8 days in the Buckeye state at the end of June.. First few days are in a state park that I can't remember the name of right now somewhere between Columbus and Dayton. Plan is to ride some bike trails, and if the weather doesn't co operate, Dayton has a bunch of museums I really want to check out.

The last few days will be in the Mohican state park.

We typically do a family camp thing with my wife's siblings and their families. This year, it's the first week in August in Algonquin Provincial Park.

• Heart 3

On 3/22/2019 at 12:51 PM, Goat Geddah said:

100%. 

Utah is the often overlooked gem and one could spend months in the southern end. Amazing.

• Heart 1