Made Up Reasons for Stock Market Moves

MickinMD

If reports by the major financial news outlets was held to the same level of honesty as corporate quarterly reports, half the financial reporters would be serving prison terms!

I would love to be a fly on the wall at the morning meetings of financial media reporters/editors meeting while they decide which information - real or fictitious - to feed their readers to keep up the con that they know why the market moves.

Some days the reason is so ridiculous they must laugh to the point of tears when such a reason is selected - apparently to see how much they can b.s. their readers and still make them believe it.

Yesterday they claimed the markets were down in the morning because of worries about a China deal slipping away from Trump.  Then, with NO significant newer news, the market jumped up a whole percent, so they claimed it was due to the Fed saying no interest rate hikes in 2019 the day before - even though investors knew about the Fed's decision while the market was going down in the morning!

Today, the market is down in the morning, allegedly because of "weak global manufacturing data" - as if all that information was released worldwide just before the market opened at 9:30 am EDT!  This morning the U.S. Manufacturing Index was released fell from February's 53.0 to 52.5.  Anything over 50 means EXPANSION.

Market moves, in general, are more and more being dictated by computer programs that overreact.  Yesterday, my stocks CVS and Southwest Airlines were up 2.23% and 2.09%, respectively. Today they are down 1.92% and 2.03%.  There has been no significant news either day!  If the market, now down 1% on the day, moves up, I bet right now they're trying to choose which reason to feed the readers if it happens.

57 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

It's financial p*rn. Don't watch it. You'll go blind

and yes they are just making stuff up. Listen to @Dirtyhip instead. I suspect she does better than 98.99% of the rest of us. She is a 1%er. Kill the rich

Hi Scrapr.  

LMAO.  Not 1% , yet.  Decent for me demographic though. 

Hey, we should hang out again soon.  I liked that.  I promise to try and relax and not start pacing around pre-ride.  HAHA!

LIFTS ARE OPENING SOON, AHHHHH, GOTTA GET READY TO ROLL OUT!  GOGGS.  HELMET. ROAR.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

? <====can't speak much about markets without going political.  

I agree with this to a point. However, there are those who are gaming the market. They  have been banging the drums about an upcoming recession for about 6 months. Giving the smart gamer time to line up their cards before they force the next major downturn and profit from it. 

...Elon Musk's Twitter account activity can be directly related to his hemorrhoid flare ups, which is in turn directly responsible for the movements in Tesla stock prices.  I can afford to share this tip now, because I have made so much money from it that I am now fabulously wealthy.

• Heart 1