Can mashed potatoes be a meal?

Randomguy

Just now, Airehead said:

Yes, absolutely 

I think that somewheres there was a fancy pants mashed tater restaurant - I'll have to fire up the google.

Yes, add diced veggies like onions, cukes, and peppers and it is a great if not socially acceptable meal. Screw 'em!

Hmm - 1998 - the good old days!  Have Mashed Potato Restaurants perished from the earth? :(

https://www.nytimes.com/1998/10/14/dining/the-mashed-potato-with-attitude.html

11 hours ago, Wilbur said:

sadness.. 

It was what was there.  I actually don't mind it that much, though, and I think Bisto is a fine product, too.  I would have preferred the real if it was an option, though, it would have been a fine counterpoint to my hoighty-toighty vintage Zima.

Considering shepherd's pie has a lot of mashed potatoes as the top pie crust, I guess you could add enough to them to make a meal in any configuration.  My cousin likes to add a can of creamed corn to her mashed potatoes.

Additionally, there's the very-popular-in-England "Jacket Potatoes" where they cut an x at each end or poke a few fork holes in each potato (to release some moisture so the potato almost becomes mashed by itself) and bake it at 400F for at least an hour, then open it up and add in all kinds of things: ham, bacon, cheese, baked beans, salsa, etc.  You could surely do the same with mashed potatoes.

I looked up Jacket Potatoes on the Internet after hearing the character Lionel say he was making them on the BBC Show As Time Goes By (reruns shown at least once/day on the "WETA UK" channel of Washington. D.C.'s PBS station) and haven't made them yet, but I'm going to: they sure look good.

Here's one recipe I cut-and-pasted into a word doc and saved in the "Veggies" folder of my recipe file where adding the meat of your choice would make a full meal:

Jacket Potatoes With Baked Beans

image.png.815287949dc9796c73fafa8ec1662a50.png

From BBC Good Food:

“Jacket potatoes” are the British version of a loaded baked potato and are usually stuffed to the brim with yummy toppings, such as chili, tuna salad, chicken or bacon. We kept these jacket potatoes pretty simple: choosing to fill them just with beans and cheese that’s all you need for these taters (or in Scotland, “tatties”) to be delicious! While people love baked potatoes in the States, jacket potatoes are more commonly found anywhere from pubs to street corners in the U.K., and have even sparked the initiation of several jacket potato food chains. And we can see why. Potatoes are a very filling vegetable/starch and the perfect vessel for a variety of yummy fillings. Pick your poison, ladies and gentlemen, because these tots are going to make an impact on your dinner routine and you won’t be able to resist them!

Jacket Potatoes With Baked Beans

Serves 4

Ingredients

Mickey’s Note: Substitute Bush’s Baked Beans or the excellent Aldi’s Dakota’s Pride Baked Beans (two 14.5 oz cans?) and you can you can eliminate a lot of work and all the ingredients except the potatoes, tomatoes, onion/olive oil to fry, cheese, salt and pepper.

4 baking potatoes

1 (14 oz.) can navy beans, rinsed and drained

2 tomatoes, chopped

1 onion, finely chopped

3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated

1/2 cup water

1/3 cup brown sugar

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 teaspoon sweet paprika

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

salt and pepper, to taste

Directions

Preheat oven to 400º F.

Rinse and scrub potatoes, then pat dry with paper towels. Pierce the tops of potatoes with a fork and place directly on oven rack.

Bake for 60-90 minutes, or until tender and cooked through.

Heat olive oil in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat and cook onion for 10 minutes, or until softened and translucent.

Add beans, tomatoes, brown sugar, paprika, salt and pepper, and cook for 5-10 minutes, or until tomatoes are broken down and pulpy.

Pour in Worcestershire sauce and water and cook until mixture reduces and thickens.

Cover and keep warm.

Remove potatoes from oven and cut a slit horizontally across the top. Gently squeeze the sides to open the potato.

Spoon beans over potatoes and top with freshly grated cheddar cheese.

Serve immediately.

Recipe adapted from BBC Good Food,

Source: http://12tomatoes.com/filling-side-recipe-jacket-potatoes-with-homecooked-beans/