83 yr old car driver in collision with 93 yr. old cyclist

shootingstar

"The cyclist was travelling north on Primrose Street and the car was travelling eastbound on Bevan Avenue, police said.

The collision took place at the intersection."

DUH.... It was either at the intersection or out in a field.  Northbound meets east bound at....................... an intersection

"The driver of the car did not suffer any injuries and remained at the scene."

DUH.... the driver was inside a 2000lb car, right?

Increasing word count or writing for idiots.  

p.s. they spelled 'traveling' wrong.

Hope the cyclist recovers soon to ride again.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

I think that spelling of traveling ...is correct ...in Canada.  Seriously. There is American spelling vs. British spelling.  It is akin to centre vs. center.  I tend to spell centre...for the past few decades.

That's ok.  Kzoo is a bit off centre.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I think that spelling of traveling ...is correct ...in Canada.  Seriously. There is American spelling vs. British spelling.  It is akin to centre vs. center.  I tend to spell centre...for the past few decades.

So how come you didn't spell it with 2 Ls?

57 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I experienced the spelling, pronunciation, word difference, and volume quantity differences myself back in 1975.

My grad school advisor at IIT in Chicago was offered chairmanship of the Dept. of Chemistry at the University of Toronto so, my last semester of grad. school was spent there with everything counting back at IIT.  I taught Organic Chemistry lab at the Scarborough Campus and did my classes and research at the main downtown campus and was the only "Yank" in the fraternity I was invited to join fraternity there.

When I taught chemistry lab and would do something like draw an x,y,z graph on the board, if I said "zee" the class would respond, "You mean 'zed!'"

Spellings where Americans use "er" at the end and Canada uses the British "re" abounded.

Compounding things, some of the professors were from England where it is Aluminium instead of Aluminum etc.

Organic chemicals with an -NH3 group are called "Amines" but Americans call them "uh-means" and the Canadians - or is it just British - call them "ay-mines."

I was doing research in my lab in the chemistry building at the downtown campus when suddenly a bunch of people could be seen in the hall walking in one direction. I asked one of them what was going on.  "It's 2 pm. Tea time!"

Many other such minor but confusing details existed.

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

So how come you didn't spell it with 2 Ls?

I appreciate some of this seems petty. However if a person truly enjoys writing....and blogging publicly, a person  may start to care about spelling and grammar. For sure, in business communication, it can be quite important.  I identify myself as a Canadian on the internet which to me, . it influences how I see the world and what my opinion is. So....that is reflected in my spelling. Too bad. :) 

14 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

The story said the cyclist is 98. Ninety freeking eight years old, and riding his bike on the street! I wanna be that guy when I grow up, and if I get taken out by a large vehicle, don't cry for me.

Well good point....not a super long degenerative disease where one disintegrates over a longer time period.  

20 hours ago, Rattlecan said:

The story said the cyclist is 98. Ninety freeking eight years old, and riding his bike on the street! I wanna be that guy when I grow up, and if I get taken out by a large vehicle, don't cry for me.

Me too!  I've recently been congratulating myself for walking an 80 lb dog 2 1/2-3 miles 3x in a week, knowing my father and and over a dozen uncles at my age of 68 couldn't do it.  Then I watched a rerun of the BBC Series Lark Rise to Candleford where the 1880's residents, including many elderly, of the poor farm workers' village of Lark Rise walked almost 8 miles to the town of Candleford and then followed a measuring device back to Lark Rise to prove they lived within the 8 mile no-extra-charge limit of the Post Office - and it was just barely under 8 miles because of a short cut.  The three books the series is based on are, in turn, based on 3 semi-autobiographical books, so there's probably a lot of truth to the story and to the frequent depiction of the Lark Rise farm workers walking, not riding, into town.

In the series, a Candleford postal delivery man is offered a bicycle to speed his deliveries, rather than his previous walking that often took him to distances like Lark Rise.

The people living before the automobile lived shorter lives due to lack of medical knowledge and poorer nutrition, but I bet we'd live a lot more active lives later in life if we exercised like them!