Pepper life and death

Randomguy

...once it's ground, black pepper (and white pepper, and all the other colors of peppercorns) oxidizes and loses flavor pretty rapidly.  I don't even have any ground pepper in the cupboard any more, because it always went bad.  I would toss it, and treat myself to some whole peppercorns in a container with a built in grinder, like they sell now at Costco and some other places.  Or just buy your parents a grinder and gift it to them along with some whole peppercorns.

1 minute ago, Page Turner said:

...once it's ground, black pepper (and white pepper, and all the other colors of peppercorns) oxidizes and loses flavor pretty rapidly.  I don't even have any ground pepper in the cupboard any more, because it always went bad.  I would toss it, and treat myself to some whole peppercorns in a container with a built in grinder, like they sell now at Costco and some other places.  Or just buy your parents a grinder and gift it to them along with some whole peppercorns.

I completely understand this but my taste buds are not refined enough to tell the difference.  Pepper is pepper.  I'm not a big pepper fan.  A little on my eggs.  That's it.  I typically don't use a lot of salt to enhance flavor either.  Maybe a little on my eggs...

59 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

No it's not.

WRONG!  It is the same for our purposes.

You need to use more pepper.

1 hour ago, Page Turner said:

They have a grinder and peppercorns.  Not sure why they have so much pepper when they have so much pepper.  I don't think they use as much as they should.

23 hours ago, Airehead said:

Can't you just pour it all into one container and toss what doesn't fit?

Yes, I have been doing that with some other spices that will probably never get used again.  That said, if you make wholesale changes (however logical or necessary), you are likely to meet resistance.  I am trying to make things better for the folks 1% per day, and trying to make it imperceptible so's to not upset anyone.

1 minute ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

The dickens you say!  I always heard it was sort of bad because there was a lot of dirt in it. 

WRONG!  I had heard (it has been more resounding recently) what Donkeypunch said.

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=74

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I was curious aboot just who the hell this George Mateljan is - his WIkipedia article was deleted in December 2018 for lack of notability.  This is one of the very few third party articles I found on him.  But even it looks like it might be copied and pasted from whfoods.org.  So he is officially a Mystery Man. :D

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20120627006215/en/George-Mateljan-–-Philanthropist-Expert-Worlds-Healthiest

1 minute ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I was curious aboot just who the hell this George Mateljan is - his WIkipedia article was deleted in December 2018 for lack of notability.  This is one of the very few third party articles I found on him.  But even it looks like it might be copied and pasted from whfoods.org.  So he is officially a Mystery Man. :D

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20120627006215/en/George-Mateljan-–-Philanthropist-Expert-Worlds-Healthiest

Please don't change the subject.

When properly stored, whole black pepper lasts two to five years, while ground black pepper has a shelf life of six months to two years.

Source: https://www.hunker.com/13420160/what-is-the-shelf-life-of-black-pepper

My guess is that it's not so much that the pepper goes bad but that it loses its kick.  The same should be true of pepper flakes, ground cayenne pepper, etc.