So this is only the thrid meal from a Chinese reataurant that has challeneged me spicy-heat-wise

Ralphie

I had some kind of spicy beef dish that was pretty tame tasting, there was an old Chinese lady walking around with a pitcher of water, she thought I was some kind of freak as I wasn't reacting to the heat. 

Well, about half way through the bowl I found the little peppers, those tiny little red ones, they had cooked them whole, and you didn't really get any heat till you bit into one.

Then you got a lot of heat.

The little lady with the water got quite a laugh out of my bright red face. 

• Heart 2
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Further said:

I had some kind of spicy beef dish that was pretty tame tasting, there was an old Chinese lady walking around with a pitcher of water, she thought I was some kind of freak as I wasn't reacting to the heat. 

Well, about half way through the bowl I found the little peppers, those tiny little red ones, they had cooked them whole, and you didn't really get any heat till you bit into one.

Then you got a lot of heat.

The little lady with the water got quite a laugh out of my bright red face. 

??

• Heart 1

23 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Thai Chili Beef, a monthly special.  Right on the edge of being too hot, so IOW, nice! :D

The first was a white-pepper hot soup that was waaay over the edge!

The second was a ginger-hot one a decade or so ago, and I was quite surprised that ginger could be that hot!

Normally when you say make it extra spicy the difference is negligible, but every once in a while it is a different story. :)

I've never heard of white pepper soup.

For sure little hot chili peppers (different varieties...) are the real stuff.  We use minced ginger root nearly daily in dinner dishes....I don't taste it any more except when it's missing. :)

I have purchased the little red peppers for Sambar..just  3...and they have a hard time charging me because you pay by weight and 3...are nothing...but they add enough heat :nodhead: Ginger can add a nice heat.  One of the things I enjoy is the layering of flavors and heat that you get with some recipes...not just heat..but a good flavor..nice!!

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I've never heard of white pepper soup.

For sure little hot chili peppers (different varieties...) are the real stuff.  We use minced ginger root nearly daily in dinner dishes....I don't taste it any more except when it's missing. :)

I went to look it up but the place is closed permanently now.  The ginger one wasn’t like any ginger I have ever tasted anywhere else. Totally incendiary. 

Some of those Thai peppers are heat champs.

It was 1997. I remember the year because the end of this story happened moments before a bunch of us went outside to look at Comet Hale Bopp.

My younger brother, Tim, and his wife had bought a house and during the winter Tim knew that I grew veggie plants from seed to plant in my little veggie garden.

Tim wanted a garden and asked me to grow for him the hottest pepper I could get.

The hottest listed pepper then available was "Habanero C."

So I called a couple seed companies and each told me that C was only available to commercial growers.

I called a 3rd company and the auto-receptionist voice said "Press one for residential orders, press two for commercial orders."

So I pressed 2.  No questions, it was charged to my credit card. Habanero C was on the way!

So I grew the plants in peat pots and gave them to my brother, Tim.

He planted them and finally the day came when he harvested them.  A bunch of us were sitting in Tim's living room and he announced the harvest. A friend of his, a huge guy named Joe but who everyone called "Lubs" - for the lbs. abbreviation of pounds - said he could eat anything, no matter how hot it was.

So Lubs got to be the first to eat Tim's Habanero C peppers.  Or I should say pepper - singular.  Or I should say a little bit of one pepper!

Lubs took a bite, chewed it a little, and immediately looked uncomfortable.  Perspiration broke out on his forehead and he began to roll back and forth in his seat and unable to talk.  Tim's wife, Lori, ran for a glass of water but I told her to bring milk and she did.  After a couple minutes, Lubs made signs that he was ok and gasped out words to the same effect.

Lori, with a few nasty words to me on the side for acquiring the damn things, berated Tim and made him throw away the remaining Habanero C peppers and the pepper plants in the garden.

To distract Lori, I said, "Has everyone been following Comet Hale-Bopp? You can see it in the sky in the late afternoon."  Someone said, "It's that time now!"  So we all went outside and looked at the comet.

Since then, I've heard some Thai peppers have even higher capsaicin concentrations.  Being one who finds "Medium" salsa a little hotter than is comfortable, I haven't sought-out any of those peppers after seeing what Habanero C can do!

I like heat, but it has to make sense to the food. I will order “hot” at a Thai restaurant for lunch, but not supper. I want to be able to sleep at night!

Last week, WoW tried a Korean recipe. A take on a Bahn Mi sandwich with a spicy kimchi-like topping. The jalapeño she got had LOTS of kick! Good thing we had some ice cream to take the edge off!

A local burger place did a limited run on a burger with a spicy egg-wash bun, jalapeño bacon, ghost pepper cheese and a spicy mayo! It would get your attention but it was delicious! I would have their homemade chips with blue cheese sauce and an oatmeal stout to compliment the heat. 

• Heart 1

I grew a white pepper one year. The peppers looked quite harmless, almost like a small white bell pepper. I was weeding the garden one day and knocked one of the peppers off the stalk. I hadn’t tried one yet so I picked it up and took a big bite. Yeowee were those things hot. My kids were in the garden helping me and they saw my face get red and start to sweat. They ask if it was any good and I told them to try one. They didn’t take me up on it. The peppers were called white lightning. I pickled them mixed with jalapeños and they were awesome.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

I grew a white pepper one year. The peppers looked quite harmless, almost like a small white bell pepper. I was weeding the garden one day and knocked one of the peppers off the stalk. I hadn’t tried one yet so I picked it up and took a big bite. Yeowee were those things hot. My kids were in the garden helping me and they saw my face get red and start to sweat. They ask if it was any good and I told them to try one. They didn’t take me up on it. The peppers were called white lightning. I pickled them mixed with jalapeños and they were awesome.

I always test peppers with a veeery small nibble. :D  Started that with habaneroes. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1