Can you die of sunburn?

Wilbur

...actually, you can.  However :The Winding Path Towards an Inverse Relationship Between Sun Exposure and All-cause Mortality

For a long time, skin cancer has been known to be related to extensive UV exposure. New emerging data have, however, shown low UV exposure/low vitamin D levels to be related to increased mortality rate due to skin cancer. In addition, low sun exposure habits in regions of low solar intensity have been shown to be a major risk factor for all-cause mortality in the same range as that for smoking. This is mainly due to lower all-cause mortality due to cardiovascular disease (CVD) and non-CVD/non-cancer disease among women with active sun exposure. Women with active sun exposure habits were estimated to have a 1- to 2-year longer life-expectancy during the Melanoma in Southern Sweden study interval. These findings are in line with those to be expected from an evolutionary perspective and research findings, but in opposition to present guidelines and recommendations.

• Heart 1

I was massively sunburned as a youth.  Late last year I had a precancerous thing removed from my arm.  I am told they could be related, as the DNA can get all bumbled up from that.

I was told to stay out of the sun, but honestly I think that that blanket advice is bullshit.  Staying out of the strong sun makes sense, but I think I am low on vitamin D anyway, and I am a bit of an albino, so I should be getting some sun is my intuitive feeling.

Other things will probably kill me first.

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I was massively sunburned as a youth.  Late last year I had a precancerous thing removed from my arm.  I am told they could be related, as the DNA can get all bumbled up from that.

I was told to stay out of the sun, but honestly I think that that blanket advice is bullshit.  Staying out of the strong sun makes sense, but I think I am low on vitamin D anyway, and I am a bit of an albino, so I should be getting some sun is my intuitive feeling.

Other things will probably kill me first.

Frankly, I am surprised you are not dead of angry husband already.  :) 

• Haha 1

The sun is good for you.  Lots of vitamin D.  A sunburn is not good.  I suffered some serious sunburns that my doctor says probably caused my melanoma which I had removed 5 years ago.  Luckily, my melanoma was on the front of my abdomen.  I noticed it in time and sought help immediately.  It was removed before it had time to spread.  My closest friend at work wasn't so lucky.  His melanoma was on his back and it wasn't detected until he noticed it bleeding.  They removed it, but it was too late.  It had already spread to many other parts of his body.  Within 6 months, he was dead.  

• Sad 1

I guess you could burn your skin to the point where it wouldn't function in fluid, oxygen, and heat transfer and you'd die.

Otherwise, severe sunburns can result in skin cancers later on.

One day during the popular, annual, Memorial Day weekend, mass gathering of high school students at Ocean City, Maryland, I had a guitar on the beach and was singing songs with a bunch of pretty girls.  Of course, I got good and sunburned - my friends called me "beet" for the next couple of weeks.

Later I learned that episodes like that greatly increase your chances of getting skin cancer.  So far, so good.

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, Road Runner said:

The sun is good for you.  Lots of vitamin D.  A sunburn is not good.  I suffered some serious sunburns that my doctor says probably caused my melanoma which I had removed 5 years ago.  Luckily, my melanoma was on the front of my abdomen.  I noticed it in time and sought help immediately.  It was removed before it had time to spread.  My closest friend at work wasn't so lucky.  His melanoma was on his back and it wasn't detected until he noticed it bleeding.  They removed it, but it was too late.  It had already spread to many other parts of his body.  Within 6 months, he was dead.  

It was the smell of bacon that woke me up. 

• Heart 2
  • Haha 2