Just ridiculous

late

1 hour ago, late said:

It got to 50F, and we went for my first bike ride. The road in front of my house follows the contour of the hill I live on. Even with the motor, I'm not ready to do steep.

As soon as you turn out of my driveway, you are climbing. That defeated me last year. So I put it on high, and was pedaling like I had eggs on my pedals and didn't want to break them. For most of the ride I had it on the middle setting. We went about a mile total, not much, but it's a start. The real test of a bike is do you want to ride it again.

The answer is hell yes.

This bike fits me better than any bike I've ever owned. It has grips that have that place to put your palm, and short MTB horns, so you have 3 positions, which is nice. It's my first 10 speed since my 1969 Varsity. No room for gears up front.

The saddle felt like a brick. The bumps felt bad, but I've had a lot harsher, and I should get used to it.

I was just looking at BFs E-bike forum (I didn't look there before I got it). One guy said you should store the lithium battery somewhere where a fire wouldn't be really bad. I think what I need to do is find an industrial strength fire alarm. Maybe one that can wirelessly communicate with another alarm that's inside the house.

I need to get a couple good bike locks. I'm also thinking of ditching the rack for my Barley saddlebag. I think that would look even cooler. I'll take a pic of it sometime. I had a PT shoulder eval a few days ago. So, I've been googling exercises that I thought would help, and at about 3AM I started doing them. I have a cooked muscle just below my right shoulderblade, when I went to 5 pounds, it cramped impressively. So I'll need to stick to 2 pounds for that one. In any case, I did a number of exercises that had me bent over. I was also bending some getting the wife's bike ready. She has a Rivendell. It's the Bleriot, which was actually made in Taiwan from Japanese tubes, but it's still a nice bike. The upshot is that my legs were almost quivering before I got on the bike. Fortunately the tender bits were at the back, and bikes work mostly the front of your legs.

But the end result is they are not entirely happy with me. Which is great.

Check the local hobby shop or on line for a lipo storage bag.  They are designed to absorb the explosion and or fire.  They will not prevent the smoke from stinking out your house however.  If you charge the battery off the bike, that should also be done in the bag.  There are other things you can use such as high fired ceramic pots, but the specials for batteries have a top that cams into place and will not come off in an explosion.  The batteries should not be stored in a hot place or car and they don't like being stored in a cold place.  The batteries should not be stored discharged nor fully charged.  My chargers have a "storage" mode that brings the cells to about half charge.  If you are going to long term store the batteries (more than 2 weeks) then storage mode will save you money.

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Check the local hobby shop or on line for a lipo storage bag.  They are designed to absorb the explosion and or fire.  They will not prevent the smoke from stinking out your house however.  If you charge the battery off the bike, that should also be done in the bag.  There are other things you can use such as high fired ceramic pots, but the specials for batteries have a top that cams into place and will not come off in an explosion.  The batteries should not be stored in a hot place or car and they don't like being stored in a cold place.  The batteries should not be stored discharged nor fully charged.  My chargers have a "storage" mode that brings the cells to about half charge.  If you are going to long term store the batteries (more than 2 weeks) then storage mode will save you money.

Thanks, I appreciate that.