They gave me a pretty cool hat

Square Wheels

Congrats for the car and you made me laugh at the memory. My mom always joked that she bought  a Carver hat and then they gave my dad a boat.  Then about a year later she bought a Monaco hat and they gave her a motor home. She was lucky like that. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

They gave me a stuffed bear with a BMW sweater too.

... :(  I feel cheated.  The LEAF has been a good car, but a stuffed bear  wearing a BMW sweater sounds cool.  Have you named it yet ?  We should have a contest to name the bear.  My entry is "Waiting For Parts From Germany."  Because you hear that all the time at BMW places. :) 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Went to look, came home with a new car.  Not sure why "some" people take so long doing this.

My wife took months to finalize her new car purchase. I did some research, found the car I wanted, test drove two models and bought the one I wanted. It took longer from them to deliver the car from SC than it did to determine what I was going to buy.

19 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

That's not mine.  Mine is in pieces in Bavaria.  They didn't have the car I wanted in the color I wanted anywhere in the US, so they're making me a new 2020.  They aren't even out yet.

I'm kinda happy.

Went to look, came home with a new car.  Not sure why "some" people take so long doing this.

I agree it shouldn't take long at the dealer, but I hope you did spend some time researching what you wanted!

I took over 5 years selecting my car - then about 2 hours when it came time to buy.

I retired in 2006 and lived frugally until late 2012 when all my retirement vehicles kicked-in.;

I had a 1997 Ford Taurus and wanted a higher-mileage crossover or SUV, though I looked at some sedans, estimating I'd get a new car in 2013-15.

In 2007, I went to a major car show, literally got leg cramps getting in and out of a Ford Fiesta. had my head on my 6'3" frame sticking into the ceiling of American brand cars, and then saw a group of tall guys hovering around a Honda Fit.  I had never bought a foreign make, but I was amazed at the head room, leg room, extra-wide doors that made it so easy to get in and out - as were those other tall guys.

Over the years, I looked at various cars both with a tape measure to see if I could get 2x4's etc. inside, checked Comsumer Reports, Edmunds, Car & Driver, etc. and even sent friends pictures of various colors asking which looked better.

Then, at 12:45 pm on 12/31/12, a hit-and-run driver gently tapped but totaled my empty, parked Taurus by triggering the air bags - they were worth more than the book value - I went to the Honda dealer and got a "Vortex Blue" model - relatives liked it better than my Raspberry Blue 2nd choice, got a deal that was better than the "excellent" range deals for my area listed by Kelley Blue Book and U.S News, and bought my 2013 Honda Fit, which was Consumer Reports "best bang for the buck" car of 2013 and rated one of the most fun to drive - which I find true, mainly because there's so much window space you almost feel outside and the short wheelbase makes it easy to maneuver. Yet it's 57.3 cu.in of cargo space compared favorably with SUV's like the Ford Edge (67 cu.in).

Strangely, even though State Farm declared it totaled because of the air bags, they paid me $2992 for the Taurus even though its book value was $900, taking dealer-markup, tags, title, etc. fees.  So I actually benefited by over $2000 thanks to the hit-and-run collision!

It is, by far, the best car I've ever owned and I'm glad I took the time to check it out!

2013-Honda-Fit-3.jpg.6855508fe13770314dc944cd1e1dc7e3.jpg

20698135_Rearcargostorage-rearseatsup12size.JPG.58ac5e165bd4c6bba0c0d730016fb48c.JPG1298616216_07.BikeinFit-InCar25.jpg.a712b300a150b89a5ffc177005b38383.jpg

448813822_HondaFitmagicseatdown.jpg.b84fe8a80ce660ee5c66caa14ea24101.jpg

Honda Fit Passenger Seat Down.jpg

• Heart 1