Buying for family

shootingstar

Ok.....I only buy gifts for family members (outside of dearie) when I actually visit and can give the gifts in person.  They live over 3,000 km. east of me, it's just too expensive to mail real gifts to them annually.So the gifts tend to meet this criteria for over 15 different people which range from babies to my own siblings:

• approx. up to $25.00 CAN per gift
  • be small/portable enough for all of it be packed into 1 carry on  suitcase and my knapsack (which all must include my clothing when get to their city, my bike helmet and bike shoes).
  • no liquids/lotions...since I need some of my own personal hygiene stuff.  

I might buy a gift or 2 when I get there. But I will not have time to go running around gift-buying and wrapping stuff.  Do I sound like a cheapie?

22 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Amazon ships direct!  :) 

No you don't sound too cheap...  lets just say you will probably die with money unspent. :) 

Um, I haven't seen them in 2 yrs. This is true, they haven't gotten gifts, except for snail mail cards and cheque for mother.  Yes, I do get gifts from them in person. It's all casual and sorta of understood for the past......15+ yrs. when I moved away from Toronto to other provinces.  I realize some families don't function like ours...presents are token gestures of love in our family, people don't get bent out of shape if the present is "late".

I am the person spending money to fly to see them in past 2 decades.  I've only had 1 family visit me here in prairies. ?  I don't begrudge my trips to Toronto since I honestly miss its insane creativity and pacing. Prairies can feel abit insular at times....still. A lot of business / arts /fashion "trends" and cutting edge ideas in our city are borrowed from other parts of Canada / world. It's just reality.

And yes Chinese restaurant cuisine is waaaaaay more choice and quality in Metro Toronto.

I don't think there are any rules to gift giving.  Everyone should decide for themselves what feels right based on their own circumstances.  I have a relatively small family - my immediate family is all in the area, and I like getting gifts for them.  There's no set dollar amount, sometimes it's more, and sometimes it's more nominal.  I mainly want to get them something they'd like and that's not typically related to cost.

I have one niece and one nephew that are "adults" now and have just graduated and are currently living away from their parents.  At this point, if they weren't home for the holidays, I'd send something, but that might change over the years.

But when gift giving becomes a burden rather than fun, it's time to reconsider. 

• Heart 1