What will it take

jsharr

to restore your confidence in the Boeing 737 Max?   Will a simple "software upgrade" make you feel safe enough to fly on one again?  Mandatory training for all air crews?  Or do you feel safe on one now?  Multiple sources saying the FAA close to approving the upgrade and that airlines are testing already.

Those morans at Boeing should have spent some time here and they would have know naming anything Max is a bad idea.   If they would have named it the 737 AWWC 8 this could have all been avoided as the planes would never have left good ol' terra firma to begin with.

I would fly on a Boeing 737 @Kzoo 8 or @Wilbur 9 without hesitation.

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

to restore your confidence in the Boeing 737 Max?   Will a simple "software upgrade" make you feel safe enough to fly on one again?  Mandatory training for all air crews?  Or do you feel safe on one now?  Multiple sources saying the FAA close to approving the upgrade and that airlines are testing already.

Those morans at Boeing should have spent some time here and they would have know naming anything Max is a bad idea.   If they would have named it the 737 AWWC 8 this could have all been avoided as the planes would never have left good ol' terra firma to begin with.

I would fly on a Boeing 737 @Kzoo 8 or @Wilbur 9 without hesitation.

I feel safe now with American or European crews of the larger carriers.  Not sure I would feel safe with a budget or 3rd World/emerging world based airline & crew.

Seems odds are pretty slim to die in a plane crash regardless of all the crazy azz dangers involved, so it's still safer to fly than drive, isn't it?

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I feel safe now with American or European crews of the larger carriers.  Not sure I would feel safe with a budget or 3rd World/emerging world based airline & crew.

Seems odds are pretty slim to die in a plane crash regardless of all the crazy azz dangers involved, so it's still safer to fly than drive, isn't it?

Not if you are with @Randomguy's ex.  She will light your car on fire if you change lanes without signalling.

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

They should just randomly assign pilots to planes with no regard to what they would be flying.  Passengers, too.

Line the captains up on one side to the airport and the passengers on the other and pick teams like in Jr. High gym class?    shirts and skins?

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Line the captains up on one side to the airport and the passengers on the other and pick teams like in Jr. High gym class?    shirts and skins?

Yes.  "You'll go wherever and in whatever airplane hoopty we pick out."

Travel needs to be fun again.

• Heart 3

they need to put another x in the Max. I suggest at the end. Maxx

that way we know the upgraded planes from the riff raff 3rd world planes

plus the Portland area light rail is called Max. I don't want to get them mixed up. Go on the Max to BVT (Burlington Vermont) and end up in Beaverton, Or

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

I doesn't bother me at all due to the fact that Southwest has made over 12,000 flights with the MAX 8 with no issues at all and NASA's database has a total of two notices from commercial airlines pilots noting nose-dive problems that they instantly fixed by turning off the automatic controls. They said the system may have been confused by unusual weather.  The fixes Boeing is supposed to unveil, if they haven't already, is icing on the cake.

There are questions of how well trained the pilots were with the MAX 8's on the flights that went down.

7 hours ago, Scrapr said:

they need to put another x in the Max. I suggest at the end. Maxx

that way we know the upgraded planes from the riff raff 3rd world planes

plus the Portland area light rail is called Max. I don't want to get them mixed up. Go on the Max to BVT (Burlington Vermont) and end up in Beaverton, Or

Wizard idea.

Image result for mad max airplane

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

17 hours ago, jdc2000 said:

At the Battle of Trafalgar, the English were using purpose built artillery. The Spanish used artillery borrowed from the army. This made the Spanish guns a lot harder to handle when hot, and more dangerous. So their  rate of was cut in half once they got hot. So while the Spanish had more guns, they couldn't match the Brits in an extended fight.

I was reminded of that while I was reading that article. His point about building to fit the intended purpose is saying you need good design.

We learned about the Spanish guns when historians borrowed techniques from underwater archeology when searching the wrecks of the battle.