Do you eat ice cream regularly?

Road Runner

I used to keep a half-gallon in my fridge most of the time and would eat some every 4-5 days or so.  My dad always kept ice cream and apples in the house for snacks.  We were allowed to have a bowl of ice cream almost every night, between dinner and bedtime.  We were allowed to eat apples whenever we wanted one.  Nowadays, I always have apples on hand, but I seldom buy ice cream. 

I came down with a severe cold yesterday, so I bought some ice cream to soothe my throat.  I am a wild and crazy guy.  :) 

• Heart 3

10 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Yes. And it's my Mother's fault. Last year I cleaned out her two fridges and there were 9 half gallons of ice cream plus various ice cream bars. As a child, there was always ice cream in our house.

This.

Nowadays I have rid myself of all dairy.  It wasn't easy and arguably ice cream is the hardest to move beyond.  But I've done it.

There was a time that WoKzoo and I and our kids would have ice cream 5 out of 7 nights.  That went on for a couple years but we were all younger then.  We have ice cream in the house about once every couple months.  It's usually inspired by grandkids.

• Heart 1

Libs has peanut butter soft serve. Which is delish and evil. No summer is complete without a little Gelato Fiasco, or a Mocha shake from Reds. We're talking a trip to Boothbay Harbor (best mini-golf in Maine, and don't start, I was a seriously hurting unit when we started doing that). Some of Maine's best scream is on the way, Round Top. And you shouldn't overlook the Needham ice cream at Len Libbys.

On average, about 12 times a year. I try not to keep it in the house. When I do have it I like to seek out those places that have really good ice cream. The places they make it themselves are best. Moo-Thru in Remington VA is good, as is Farfars in Duxbury MA. Those are my favorites.

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, groupw said:

We try not to keep it all them time, but do get a craving and buy a half-gallon once in a while. Last night WoW was craving a Blizzard. DQ is 5 minutes from our house. I didn't argue. 

in my mind I imagine 92% of the population of Nebraska is 5 minutes from a DQ. #amirite?

While I don't know if there is a bad flavor, at least I haven't found it yet, my go-to is Breyers vanilla with shreds of vanilla beans.  Will have to keep trying to see if I find a bad flavor.  And there is what to put on it. A drizzle of chocolate? Maple syrup? Bourbon?  So many decisions!

2 hours ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

Memories.    :(

Screw you, Dr. Berg

I bet Dr Berg is a communist. I listened to a Freakanomics podcast that investigated the MSG thing. One Dr bet another Dr that they could get published in the JAMA. Instead of doing a lot of research, then sweating over writing a paper then doing peer review...he wrote a letter to the editor about how MSG was bad....all of it made up

ANSWER the question @Scrapr....yes I do eat ice cream. I am currently on a local ice cream that is salted caramel. It's delish

• Heart 2

I love real ice cream.  The problem is that the only real ice cream is hard to find, even the "premium" ice creams have multiple gums, thickeners, and shelf stabilizers, making it a bunch of garbage.  Haagen Daz typically doesn't do that, so it is better than most, and is typically best at the grocery stores.  It is no better at the whole food places, they just use organic chemicals and sell you a load of expensive shit vs. cheap shit.

I am going to eventually make my own.  

10 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I am going to eventually make my own.   

Once. And then back to cheap shit.

We made it as kids - it was a big effing rigamarole, and I see why my parents always tried to stonewall us when we would implore them to make ice cream.  Far easier to but the factory-made crap that is delicious.

1 hour ago, Scrapr said:

in my mind I imagine 92% of the population of Nebraska is 5 minutes from a DQ. #amirite?

We have a lot of area where the towns are so small, going to a town with a DQ is “big deal”! And they have quite a distance in the western part of the state. 

There is a little town about 20 miles from here hit hard by the flooding. They have a little house that serves hand scooped ice cream that is really good! I hope they are able to reopen. 

• Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Tizeye said:

While I don't know if there is a bad flavor, at least I haven't found it yet, my go-to is Breyers vanilla with shreds of vanilla beans.  Will have to keep trying to see if I find a bad flavor.  And there is what to put on it. A drizzle of chocolate? Maple syrup? Bourbon?  So many decisions!

There is a Gelato Fiasco in Orlando now. You ought to check it out, although they won't have my favorite flavor, that's only available in Portland.

https://www.gelatofiasco.com/locations/orlando-sodo/

6 hours ago, late said:

There is a Gelato Fiasco in Orlando now. You ought to check it out, although they won't have my favorite flavor, that's only available in Portland.

https://www.gelatofiasco.com/locations/orlando-sodo/

Interesting. Not an area of town that I frequent - more due to traffic in the hospital/commercial district than neighborhood security. Plus it is out of my normal pattern of shopping as the major stores are all over the city so no reason to go there. When glancing at the map, noted that it was a few blocks from the Pulse Nightclub site of the mass shooting. What has me confused are the recent reviews noting great food, dining atmosphere, no nightclub reference, etc when the site was converted to a memorial. I believe the owner did open a new nightclub elsewhere. Will have to check it out.