What do you love or hate about your kitchen?

SuzieQ

Two things -

#1 - it is paid for!  :skipping::skipping::skipping:  Along with that is is nice and 80s, with fake oak cabinets, and beige formica countertops which we have managed to preserve reasonably well.  My wife informs me this is all oot of style. :(:D  The vinyl floor is pretty forgiving of dropped dishes and such.

#2 - it is pretty well laid oot with the fridge-stove-sink in a skew triangle and bigger than originally designed.  It has a window by the sink which is always nice.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

A workable layout is more important than the latest fashion in counter tops. Plenty of lighting, both overall and task specific. Plenty of storage. Lots of electrical receptacles. Ceramic floor is hard on your feet after standing for a while.

If doing a bones up remodel, spend the money to get the layout you want, the finishing touches can be upgraded later.

• Heart 2

...I would echo the thoughts about gas range top and the triangle layout.  Also I like my windows and light.  But a lot of how much you spend depends on how much you plan on cooking.  If you plan on cooking a lot, it's worth paying for one of those commercial style oven.range combos (the ones for home installation).  They put out more heat from the burners, and the oven is bigger, so more flexible in terms of what you can do  in there.  

It's pretty hard to change the windows and their arrangement doing a kitchen remodel. A lot of that requires some major reframing to support  the window openings, which is expensive.

If the plumbing is old/steel pipes/something else problematic, or if the wiring is older/outdated/undercapacity, now is the time to do that stuff, too.  

One of the things I like best is the cupboard for cookie sheet storage. A little thing but I love it. I also love the drawers instead of cupboards  in the island.  Pots and pans and mixing bowls fit nicely.   This is my Last kitchen and it finally feels right., but I would change increase the space between counter and island by two to three inches if I could. 

• Heart 2

My kitchen is a galley kitchen..it was re done before I bought my place... I would second a gas stove/oven..I suggest soffits? to finish the top of the cabinets rather than open...things look pretty up there..but it collects dust and grease.  Look at sink sizes..the people who lived here obviously were not big on cooking cos the double sinks are small..granted you are not going to roast a turkey..but my roaster does not fit in the sink.  Outlets... and the flow of your kitchen is important...

If you are working with a good contractor...start with your must have basics and see how hard it would be to add something down the line a year or two...if budget is a big issue....

• Heart 1

Gas only.   Double sinks are stupid, you get two too-small sinks instead of one of useable size.  Counter space is better than cabinet space if you have to choose.  Faucet should be extendable/hosey thingy.  Countertops that blend with or camoflage dirt are dumb.  In all situations, simple is better than complex.

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Gas only.   Double sinks are stupid, you get two too-small sinks instead of one of useable size.  Counter space is better than cabinet space if you have to choose.  Faucet should be extendable/hosey thingy.  Countertops that blend with or camoflage dirt are dumb.  In all situations, simple is better than complex.

We really like our latest faucet because it is very high so it is no problem to get tall pots under it.  It also has the extendable hose thingy which my wife uses but I rarely do.  It is also most excellent because it doesn;t drip yet. :D  Our house is 33 years old so all the shutoff valves need replacing because they won;t close any more.  Those two down, many more to go!

12 hours ago, Chris... said:

Gas cooktop but electric double ovens

5701A1D7-94E0-4CDA-9030-9B53E9793CC1.jpeg

6AE42131-CC9B-4383-9D35-DB83B96E8800.jpeg

Your kitchen is Faaannccyy!  My budget is not $40 000 for sure!  @Petite, mine is also a galley kitchen, but a decent size.  The ceiling has to come down, and walls as well.  Yes, sink in front on window - not going with a dishwasher so the sink is important - one large sink.  Now I'm trying to decide on colors, painted, which I wanted is 15% more than stained.  I could go with a dark stain - almost dark brown/grey and light counters - so hard to decide.  Recessed lighting is what I will change to for sure - I'm keeping the appliance I have because they work - will have to get a microwave/hood