Lag Time for Brain Functions After Awakening

MickinMD

There's no question that some of your awareness or thinking ability is still "asleep" shortly after you wake up.

This morning, I didn't wake up until a little after 9 am, feeling very refreshed after going without my alarm clock. A few minutes later I got a phone call.

When the caller began by saying my name and asking if it was me, then saying, "Good morning, how are you?" I thought it was another phone scam or ignore-the-do-not-call-list commercial caller.

So I asked, "Who are you?"

She replied, "I'm calling from SECU," which, of course, she pronounced like the letters "C" and "Q".  SECU is my credit union. For the rest of the conversion every time I list "SECU" the sound being made is "C Q."

In my half-asleep mind I was trying to think of any association with something called "C.Q."

"What's CQ?"

"You know, SECU. I'm calling about your CD's."

Suddenly, it all made sense!

"Oh! SECU! Not the letters C, Q. Sorry, I just woke up - retirement has its benefits."

"Ha ha! You have three CD's that mature on April 2nd and we're just calling you to remind you."

At that point, I was struggling to remember the word "redeem."  Finally it popped into my head and I said, "I understand I have a 7 day grace period to either redeem them or let them ride at the 5-year CD rate on April 2nd.  But if I let them ride, do I start all-over with having to pay a penalty for early redemption - which doesn't happen, for example, with Series-I Savings Bonds after 5 years?"

Yes. You would have a new 5-year penalty period for early redemption.  You do have a 7-day grace period to decide whether to redeem them or let them ride for a new 5-year period at the CD-rate of April 2nd. It's 2.85% right now but can change at any time."

At this point I was fully awake, I think, and asked some other questions about how I wanted to proceed.

Afterward, I thought about how I had been awake, refreshed by a good night's sleep, beginning to watch some news on TV, yet my brain wasn't firing on all cylinders even though I was able to think about penalties, Savings Bonds, etc.  Amazing.

• Heart 1