Rock buggy

Parsnip Totin Jack

11 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Neat!

But I'll put odds on that never getting fully completed. That screams money and time sink.

Lots of good can come of this.  Time spent working on mechanical stuff is great for developing actual mechanical skills, logic and reasoning can be improved, you can work on it with buddies or family members.  You learn about physics when actually using it, and you learn financial discipline and planning when building or maintaining it.  When done, you can take it to remote places and see nature when you aren't tearing it up and have cold beers with others of your ilk.

Beats the hell out of heroin, or so I imagine.

• Heart 3

11 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Neat!

But I'll put odds on that never getting fully completed. That screams money and time sink.

The hard part is done and he has the motor, trans and transfer case.  Now it is just a matter of fabbing up some engine mounts and drive shafts and doing a bit of wiring and plumbing.    

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

Fredericksburg is a great place.  I have a cousin who lived in nearby King George - working at the naval base there, until his wife died and he's now in a nursing home near his son in Manassas. I'm sorry I don't get down to Fredericksburg, about 1 1/2 hour drive from my Maryland home, since my cousin's move a couple years ago.

I took my nephew to survey the Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville battlefields there when he was doing a school project on leadership (Robert E. Lee). The same nephew's middle school orchestra played in a festival competition there in 2014, whose award ceremony was held at King's Dominion amusement park the next day.

The band (and us) ate at the Teppanyaki Sushi and Seafood Buffett after the performance - very excellent. There are also some other great and cheap restaurants along the Plank Rd. running west from Fredericksburg.

Nephew Ryan is the long-haired, brown haired sax player on far right in the closeup - they (Severna Park Middle School) won the 2nd place trophy for best overall orchestra:

2037458053_RyanDorrLongHairTopRight-600pxl.jpg.8534e529f0f3e5afc5fe4b5440c2ab25.jpg

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Lots of good can come of this.  Time spent working on mechanical stuff is great for developing actual mechanical skills, logic and reasoning can be improved, you can work on it with buddies or family members.  You learn about physics when actually using it, and you learn financial discipline and planning when building or maintaining it.  When done, you can take it to remote places and see nature when you aren't tearing it up and have cold beers with others of your ilk.

Hey RG, how many of these have you built.

7 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I apologize to my son when I talked him into racing vintage middle weight superbikes. 

A heroin addiction probably would have been cheaper.