Do you have first generation immigrants in your dept.?

shootingstar

Meaning workers who did immigrate from another country?  Not just their parents.

Here's Canada's situation:  https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/immigrants-workforce-employment-1.4959798  In Alberta, there's still enough people who get upset thinking there's too many immigrants..meaning over 30% of the workers are foreign-born. And we're not even a province where there are illegal international border crossers. Sheesh.  

I work in govn't in depts. that normally have job roles which require college or university education.

Where I work now ..17 people, about 2 people are immigrants..direct from Russia and mainland China.  They immigrated as adults.

Previous dept. 18 people, 9 people were immigrants (adult or child) from: mainland China, Columbia, Mexico, Pakistan, India, Kenya, Philippines and Lebanon.  Over 50% of them immigrated as late teen or adult. Several people have master's degrees. Only 1 has high school education and she is in an entry level clerical job.

We've been interviewing a lot of people lately and many of them are from Pakistan and India. One guy surprised me today as he had a heavy accent and there wasn't anything in his resume, but he's in the US Army Reserve. He came to the USA and joined the Army. He didn't put it on his resume because a lot of employers see Reserve or Guard and figure that person would be away from work often so they don't hire them. The funny thing is this particular job is to support the US Army.

I once worked with a guy from Pakistan who could tell funny jokes in 3 different languages. I could only understand those in English but the way the others were laughing, the jokes must have been good.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

yes. Alex in IT is from Soviet Russia. Thick accent. Pierre is from Haiti, very smart and a hard worker. He is into Jeeps as well; he has a nice Rubicon for city driving and a Sport for bashing on rocks. Paul is from England; not sure which part but he's got that Queen's English down pat. There is a woman from Ghana as well. Guiti doesn't work here anymore but she came to the States as a child from Iran. Washington DC is a good place to meet people from everywhere else.

• Heart 1

Yes, many. I work with one who was born and educated in India, then England before coming to America. Another who was born and educated in India before coming here. And a third who was born in Latvia. My boss was born in India and then worked in Nova Scotia. My favorite former coworker grew up in Bulgaria. I feel pretty fortunate to work with really talented people from across the world.

• Heart 1

My boss. I had to ask her if she’s a US citizen.  If not, I couldn’t let her know some of the details of my job. She is  Been in the US since grad school. Probably about 45 years old.

She’s Chinese, but her last name sounds Hungarian.  She’s never mentioned a hubby, but did say she has a son, 10 years old or so. 

I don’t have her figured out yet, but no complaints so far. Started my new job Jan 1. 

• Heart 2

We hire quite a few refugees and first generation folks in my schools. Mostly as teacher aides because credentials rarely transfer between countries. We have a pretty strong program to help people get college credentials in the US and other supports like ELL

• Heart 1

38 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

My boss. I had to ask her if she’s a US citizen.  If not, I couldn’t let her know some of the details of my job. She is  Been in the US since grad school. Probably about 45 years old.

She’s Chinese, but her last name sounds Hungarian.  She’s never mentioned a hubby, but did say she has a son, 10 years old or so. 

I don’t have her figured out yet, but no complaints so far. Started my new job Jan 1. 

She may want to keep her life very private.

Yep. We have an Indian woman on our small team. Some earlier co-workers over the past 10 years or so have included several Asians (Chinese and Taiwanese), as well as CAnadians, other Indians, a Pakistani, a guy from St Croix (US), a Thai, Puerto Ricans (US), and some Russkie/Russkie-lites. Probably more I'm missing.

13 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yep. We have an Indian woman on our small team. Some earlier co-workers over the past 10 years or so have included several Asians (Chinese and Taiwanese), as well as CAnadians, other Indians, a Pakistani, a guy from St Croix (US), a Thai, Puerto Ricans (US), and some Russkie/Russkie-lites. Probably more I'm missing.

Did the Canadians behave? 

5 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I only like to be around people who have never moved more than 10 miles from where they were born.  People who move state to state cannot be trusted, and people moving to a whole different country?  Dangerous for certain.

I had to leave. New identity, new life 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

None in our company right now.  We had a young fellow born in Latvia but spent most of his life and schooling in the US.  We also had a network engineer that had served in the Jordanian air force.  His father was a lifelong Jordanian military officer.  His dad had some pull which got him to university in the states.  He came to Western Mich Univ for their flight program.  After college he decided he wanted to be a network engineer.  He worked for us for a couple years and then returned to Jordan.

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I only like to be around people who have never moved more than 10 miles from where they were born.  People who move state to state cannot be trusted, and people moving to a whole different country?  Dangerous for certain.

Now you sound like a former forum member that did not trust people that did not drink beer.?

• Haha 1