China cabinets

Randomguy

8 minutes ago, jsharr said:

We had, we sold.  China in boxes.  Boxes in attic.

Nobody wants china these days.  I think it implies that your everyday plates are shit, and if there is one thing I can't stand, it is uppity plates.

I remember as a child, we would use the good china at my grandmother's house for holidays.  We were always told beforehand to be careful with it.  Seems a bit high maintenance, plus I don't like plates and bowls and glasses to be all matchy-matchy.

I don't think you can sell or even give away china these days.  Might as well take it camping.

I have one that I got as part of the dining room set when I first moved in.  I like the concept of it and  I use some of the stuff on a semi-regular basis, but at some point it will be another thing to get rid of.

35 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Nobody wants china these days.  I think it implies that your everyday plates are shit, and if there is one thing I can't stand, it is uppity plates.

I remember as a child, we would use the good china at my grandmother's house for holidays.  We were always told beforehand to be careful with it.  Seems a bit high maintenance, plus I don't like plates and bowls and glasses to be all matchy-matchy.

I don't think you can sell or even give away china these days.  Might as well take it camping.

When we had to deal with my aunt's apartment, we were able to sell the China for something (but not nearly what I'm sure she paid) and the auction house wanted some of the her furniture that were nice antiques, but not the big china cabiniet.

No one in my family ever got china set.  It's sorta a cultural thing. I doubt millennials and younger generations even think of that stuff.... more like appliances maybe, wine glasses, large TV screen, etc.

It is best just to have a good set of dishes and plates that look presentable/not chipped for guests.  It doesn't have to be china..there's a lot of cost effective sets ...even from Ikea. I bought sleek modern cutlery there or was it somewhere else.  I am happy. 

He has a heavy, real ceramic set of dishes which we use for special dinners, several times per year.  It's from England.

Have but don't want - as I think I mentioned in a past post.

My mother had a huge china cabinet and a large doll cabinet that stayed in her house after she passed - a decade after my father passed away.

We siblings kept the house and after I retired I downsized, sold my house, and bought-out my siblings interests in Mom's house - where I've lived since.

But those two cabinets are considered sacred by the siblings. So I told them to take the damn things - the China cabinet is about 5 feet wide, almost a couple feet thick, and takes up a ton of space in the about 12' x 12' kitchen where a counter takes up a few feet along one wall.  So far, no takers - I don't know why my usually sensible mother bought the damn thing.

1 hour ago, sheep_herder said:

Wonder if anyone actually believed I eat off china plates? We have what we have, and nice stuff for entertaining is not a concern. 

Sure.  Just this weekend we were at Mom Kirby's and my Wild Sister suggested using the nice china and crystal for a casual lunch of take out  rotisserie chicken and sides.   As my Wild Sister said, why save your good stuff - use it and make every day a little more fun.

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

We have a schrank.   It is huge.   I love dishes. Have more sets then I should. Use them, too.   Two extra china closets in basement. This is a problem. 

My grandmother always used the word kleiderschrank to describe the big clothes wardrobes up at her old country house.  I haven't seen schrank used since then and your post made me surprisingly nostalgic and happy.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kirby said:

Sure.  Just this weekend we were at Mom Kirby's and my Wild Sister suggested using the nice china and crystal for a casual lunch of take out  rotisserie chicken and sides.   As my Wild Sister said, why save your good stuff - use it and make every day a little more fun.

And that right there is why she got her name.

• Heart 1