The company I work for is truly screwed up

a bunch of numbers

They forced a guy who's 74(?) to retire.  They forced him out about a year ago and replaced him with two other guys.  Those two both quit so they called him back.  Now they've hired another guy and forced him out again.  He is still very capable and good at his job.  He doesn't want to retire.  Today is his last day.  He leaves at noon.

I was told years ago that given a choice, don't ever work for a family owned business.  I'm seeing again that there is a lot of wisdom in that statement.

• Heart 2
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, Rick5234 said:
30 minutes ago, 2Far said:

Whew, sounds like age discrimination ?

Absolutely

Just sounds like "normal" crap people have to deal with when essentially a "commodity".  Age discrimination vs salary discrimination is pretty hard to separate.  In other words, I pay you - a senior azz kicker - $200/year, yet I can now replace you with two junior azz kickers at $75k/year.  I save $50k and have redundancy.  Add in I can bring you back in as a "temp" if I ever need you and not have to pay the extra overhead.

But, yeah, that sort of BS is no way to run a company.  Or, it might be, and I am not good at choosing "dollars" over "morals".

• Heart 1

47 minutes ago, Rick5234 said:

They forced a guy who's 74(?) to retire.  They forced him out about a year ago and replaced him with two other guys.  Those two both quit so they called him back.  Now they've hired another guy and forced him out again.  He is still very capable and good at his job.  He doesn't want to retire.  Today is his last day.  He leaves at noon.

I was told years ago that given a choice, don't ever work for a family owned business.  I'm seeing again that there is a lot of wisdom in that statement.

It doesn't matter even if it's a stockholder owned company.  The elderly get little respect.  They are considered a liability.

1 hour ago, Rick5234 said:

I hope he tells them to fuck right off if they need him back again.

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, Rick5234 said:

I was told years ago that given a choice, don't ever work for a family owned business

Family owned businesses are the worst to work for. About the only way for an outsider to work their way near the top is to marry into the family.

And usually by the 3rd or 4th generation, the business is in shambles due to a sense of entitlement in the grandchildren or great grandchildren of the founder. My youngest daughter worked at such a place and the grandchildren working with her were useless. They often couldn't be found at work and never got their projects completed in time if at all. Things got so bad that the family sold the company before it went down the tubes completely.

• Heart 1

A guy I used to work with told me about his Dad. In 2017, the Dept of the Navy honored him for 75 years of service. His dad was 94 at the time with no immediate plans for retirement. He was first eligible for retirement in October 1973. As far as I know he’s still working.

• Confused 1

57 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Family owned businesses are the worst to work for. About the only way for an outsider to work their way near the top is to marry into the family.

And usually by the 3rd or 4th generation, the business is in shambles due to a sense of entitlement in the grandchildren or great grandchildren of the founder. My youngest daughter worked at such a place and the grandchildren working with her were useless. They often couldn't be found at work and never got their projects completed in time if at all. Things got so bad that the family sold the company before it went down the tubes completely.

I worked for a family owned business for a while, and it definitely was one where family members found a job.  I worked in a branch office, and then I transferred to a location much closer to the HQ to be part of a team developing some new stuff for the company.  Anyway, we had our jobs to do, and we also had regular meetings among the team, and, as I am known to do, I expressed my opinion on some of the owners and their decisions on different things.  Uh, I didn't realize one of the MARRIED women on my team was the DAUGHTER of the founder/owner.  Ooops.  Freaking name changes.  She should have hyphenated her name or something :(  Luckily, what I said was accurate and not BS or something that would be considered a firing offense, so we got a chuckle out of that :whistle:

A few months later, the ink was dry on the sale of the company to a much larger company. The founder/owner gave each of us a pretty nice bonus out of his massive profit from selling the company. In the time between my foot-in-the-mouth and the sale, I got to know the owner's family much more and they were actually pretty nice folks and generous with things like tickets to sporting events or company picnics or just drinks & snacks in the break room.