Oops, we did it again

Square Wheels

5 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Wife and I just went to the Tesla dealer.  In and out in a couple of hours with a new car for her.  Mine will still be weeks, I'm jealous.  She's so happy.

Not hers, just a random pic of the color / model she got.

She went for the fully autonomous driving.

Related image

...all the cool hippies are driving electric now.  I bet that thing will accelerate off the line quicker than your new Beamer.

50 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Wow  I thought there would be a wait for those.  How does charging at home work?  Overnight via  a regular 120 plug?

They had tons.  The list price is kinda silly, no one pays that.  Hers was close to twice list.

110 will take a couple days.  We'll have a 220 put in soon that will take hours.  A Tesla supercharger takes less than an hour.

23 minutes ago, ButtPlug9001 said:

And her blinkers will work. 

BP9001 

This is still Massachusetts. 

• Haha 1

Just remember if you just like throwing money away.. I need a jeep.. something from the 90's with a 4 or 6 cylinder works. I don't mind if it has rust or scratches.. I want something I can work on.

And congrats on you new vehicles/golf cart/ or whatever they are called.

19 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

They had tons.  The list price is kinda silly, no one pays that.  Hers was close to twice list.

110 will take a couple days.  We'll have a 220 put in soon that will take hours.  A Tesla supercharger takes less than an hour.

This is still Massachusetts. 

How convenient are the super charger lications?  Are they always free?

Congratulations of excellent new cars!

I can't wait for even more really-autonomous driving to occur.  I'll probably be getting my next new car in the late 2020's when I'm in my late 70's.  I'm not expecting to let the car drive itself, but I expect it to provide parking and warning or preventive assistance.

I've seen my relatives hitting curbs, etc. in their 80's and I'm expecting cars that parallel park themselves, warn when going over lane lines, prevent curb hops, etc. are available at reasonable prices when I get my next car.

I pay cash for my cars and then pay myself back, setting aside money earmarked for the next one.  I'm setting aside more than otherwise because I'm expecting to pay more than usual for the next car because I'll want those features.  By the time I'm in my 90's, should I make it that far, completely self-driving cars should be on the road and maybe automated rentals will be the way to go then.  Of course, I may also need an automated wheelchair to get me from the house to the car!

36 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

How convenient are the super charger lications?  Are they always free?

The neat thing about the car, let's say we plan a drive from here to GA to visit her family, it will plan the route based on how far it can drive and put Supercharges on the route for us.

I think they are free for the really expensive ones, like the fully loaded S.  Her's is a fully loaded 3, she pays.  It's probably 10 or 12 dollars to "fill" it from empty and she gets 310 miles per fill up.

46 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Did you say you paid twice list price?  ???  :o

OK, so she got a few more options than the standard model.  Dual motors and the extended battery added a lot, so did the autonomous diving.  It's hard to describe how happy this car has made her.  She's driven her Prius for 11 years, it was time.  We drove the S last year, it was really nice, but very expensive, this is just regular expensive.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

24 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

It's hard to describe how happy this car has made her.

I am glad she is happy, and it did sound like you just said "Yeah, I saw the sticker, but I think I should double it".  What does the extra motor do?  I am guessing the extended range is a ton of extra batteries?  Does the autonomous driving mean she can take a nap while the car drives itself?  I don't know that much about this stuff, my last car was from 2005 and it smelled like lesbians.

...afaik, you need to be on a list to buy a base Model 3 without a bunch of add-ons.  They didn't actually start making the base model for sale at the stripped down price until a month or two ago.  The Model 3 has been for sale for a while, but  as long as they could get people to buy the more expensive ones in substantial numbers, that's what they made and shipped to dealers.

@SpeedDemon could have signed up for one of the cheaper ones, but then she would be in the same situation as @Square Wheels, looking at some picture of "her"car on the internet, sitting on an assembly line that never moves while you watch it. :( 

I read somewhere that BMW is making an aggressive move into electric sometime in the next couple of years.  Then maybe Wheels will buy one.

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

What does the extra motor do? 

Makes it a little faster, but also makes it all wheel drive.  Oddly the standard option is rear wheel drive.

I am guessing the extended range is a ton of extra batteries? 

In the case of this car, probably.  In the S model it's more of a gimmick.  They put in one battery, but they "unlock" whatever you pay for.

Does the autonomous driving mean she can take a nap while the car drives itself? 

Technically, yes.

2 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

The lot is full and you have to pay more than list?  Or is the base price just a stripper?  Yes, we are looking forward to regular reports!

You'll need her for that.  It's her can and has just over 100 miles on it.  I don't want to drive it yet, I want her to have the fun.

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

What did the salesman tell her about the autonomous driving option?  That was 5 grand right?

It's not perfect yet, it's still in beta.  They will release more options as they perfect them.  In particular, it needs lines.  It works well on the highway, not as much in the city.  They are working on that part.  Yes, it was 5 grand just for that.

2 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Makes it a little faster, but also makes it all wheel drive.  Oddly the standard option is rear wheel drive.

In the case of this car, probably.  In the S model it's more of a gimmick.  They put in one battery, but they "unlock" whatever you pay for.

Technically, yes.

You'll need her for that.  It's her can and has just over 100 miles on it.  I don't want to drive it yet, I want her to have the fun.

It's not perfect yet, it's still in beta.  They will release more options as they perfect them.  In particular, it needs lines.  It works well on the highway, not as much in the city.  They are working on that part.  Yes, it was 5 grand just for that.

Just so you know........it's not just them improving it.  It's not authorized till the federal government says it is and so far it's not clear that they are doing that for a couple or more years if then.  The car requires that your hands be on the wheel at all times and it will slow and eventually stop if you violate that rule.  I believe that the car posts a disclaimer every time it's started warning you.

33 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I don't want to drive it yet, I want her to have the fun.

...I hadn't had a traffic ticket in many years, until I bought the LEAF. It might not go very far on one charge, but it does so very rapidly. :) The most funnest thing, though, is pulling into the gas station and parking at the pump to buy gas for the lawn mower.

• Heart 1

49 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

They put in one battery, but they "unlock" whatever you pay for.

...I took a class here a few months back (something to do) on the LEAF, and we spent most of one day opening up the battery pack and inspecting the construction and wiring of it.  It's actually pretty cool, and consists of a whole lot of alternating stacked square wafer batteries of the Lithium ion variety.  Mine is a 2011, so a less powerful battery.  But all those little guys wired together can kill you if you don't know what to disconnect first.  Even that smaller battery is pretty big and heavy, and took a couple of transmission jacks to remove and reinstall.  Probably not something I'm gonna do at home.

In the Nissan Leaf, each battery pack has 24 modules and each module has 8 cells. Originally, the Nissan Leaf was launched with double the modules. The 24 kWh battery in the 2011 Nissan Leaf had 48 modules, each module with 4 cells.

22 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...I took a class here a few months back (something to do) on the LEAF, and we spent most of one day opening up the battery pack and inspecting the construction and wiring of it.  It's actually pretty cool, and consists of a whole lot of alternating stacked square wafer batteries of the Lithium ion variety.  Mine is a 2011, so a less powerful battery.  But all those little guys wired together can kill you if you don't know what to disconnect first.  Even that smaller battery is pretty big and heavy, and took a couple of transmission jacks to remove and reinstall.  Probably not something I'm gonna do at home.

I believe many of these as well as the hybrid cars have some sorts of red lines painted onto the chassis for fire and rescue people that mean "do not cut here"

14 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I believe many of these as well as the hybrid cars have some sorts of red lines painted onto the chassis for fire and rescue people that mean "do not cut here"

...fire and rescue personnel have definitely got some problems in the future with these.  The same guy that taught my class here makes some decent money contracting with various fire departments to teach a one day on how to disable the battery from the rest of the car, and how not to hurt yourself when poking around in one of these.  Unfortunately, as in the early days with many tchnologies, there appears to be no industry standard for the powering down.  One of the guys in my class was there because he works for a large auto recycling operation, and after one of the LEAF's caught fire on them, they stopped accepting them for recycling.  he was there to figure out if they could maybe safely do it again in the future. :)