Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dennis

Southern Utah

Recommended Posts

We spent 10 days in Utah a few years ago. Did the NP tour starting with two days backpacking in Canyonlands. The drive through GSE on Rt 12 was awesome. In Zion we hiked, among others, the Nartows. 6 miles up the river canyon, it was definitely a highlight of the entire trip. I’d certainly go back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, dennis said:

I spent the week in Southern Utah. My girlfriend and I did a three day bikepacking trip in Grand Staircase Escalante. We visited Zion NP, and Snow Canyon State Park

Awesome! We camped overnight in Snow Canyon at the start of our Utah circuit, and it was beautiful. The campground was almost empty, we set up our tent, and just as we were finishing, we realized the whole tent pad was atop an ant colony.  Luckily, we just picked up the assembled tent, wandered to a new site, and were good, but man did that cause a brief panic!  Obviously, Zion is simply Zion and requires no extra praise.

In Escalante, we did a fun slot canyon adventure with lots of climbing and rappelling as well. That was super fun.  Even the 4x4 ride out to the trail head was an adventure :)  And, the guides we had were really cool and knew we were headed to Zion, so let us borrow some waterproof boots and poles - gratis - for the Narrows hike Zack mentioned.  Those boots were a way better option than any other choice we had.

In a heartbeat, I would be back there for more fun.  My little sister was out in Antelope Canyon a week or so ago, so I think that would be a nice place to try next time we're out there.  A great part of the country!

image.thumb.png.3add09a91414568e55d2ad94938cc935.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife and I vacated in Moab, UT a couple years back.  Canyonlands National Park, Dead Horse State Park, and Aches National Park.  Amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I should mention that UT is where my wife fell in love with mountain biking. Since then we have gone to McCall, Idaho to mountain bike.  Next stop probably will be Sadona, AZ and she'll fall in love with MTB all over again. But southern UT will be another stop of ours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Next stop probably will be Sadona, AZ and she'll fall in love with MTB all over again.

I thought the Sedona trails were overly rocky and technical and subpar.  It was a long time ago, though, but I would recommend anywhere in Utah over trails anywhere in AZ, if I was recommending.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I thought the Sedona trails were overly rocky and technical and subpar.  It was a long time ago, though, but I would recommend anywhere in Utah over trails anywhere in AZ, if I was recommending.

St. George/Gooseberry area is impressive for mtbs. The trails we rode had options for all skill levels. Spring and fall are the time to go. 

I only brought one bike, so I rode my Fargo. Someone stopped and said nice road bike. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I thought the Sedona trails were overly rocky and technical and subpar.  It was a long time ago, though, but I would recommend anywhere in Utah over trails anywhere in AZ, if I was recommending.

There's a simple beginner one we mainly would do. We are not hardcore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Awesome! We camped overnight in Snow Canyon at the start of our Utah circuit, and it was beautiful. The campground was almost empty, we set up our tent, and just as we were finishing, we realized the whole tent pad was atop an ant colony.  Luckily, we just picked up the assembled tent, wandered to a new site, and were good, but man did that cause a brief panic!  Obviously, Zion is simply Zion and requires no extra praise.

In Escalante, we did a fun slot canyon adventure with lots of climbing and rappelling as well. That was super fun.  Even the 4x4 ride out to the trail head was an adventure :)  And, the guides we had were really cool and knew we were headed to Zion, so let us borrow some waterproof boots and poles - gratis - for the Narrows hike Zack mentioned.  Those boots were a way better option than any other choice we had.

In a heartbeat, I would be back there for more fun.  My little sister was out in Antelope Canyon a week or so ago, so I think that would be a nice place to try next time we're out there.  A great part of the country!

image.thumb.png.3add09a91414568e55d2ad94938cc935.png

The road to the slot canyons was closed so we had to skip that. It turns out, we probably could have gone past the closure on our bikes. The woman at the BLM office in Big Water was not helpful at all. Next time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...