What was your best vaccination ever?

maddmaxx

For me it was smallpox.  The service had for some reason determined that I was allergic to smallpox vaccinations.  Because of my travels I had to get one so they decided to send me to the Portsmouth VA naval hospital to get one under observation in case I had a reaction.  That was the beginning of a week long story of my stay in a hepatitis ward unable to go home while everyone else in the ward was allowed to go on evening liberty???

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

USAF basic training in 1972. No little needle jabs - actually no needles at all. Instead the medics had injector guns hooked up to pumps and you got shots in both arms at once containing who knows what.  We were warned not to flinch or the shot might rip the skin on our arms. We got a yellow paper shot record that had all kinds of stuff entered into it.

We had to march though the shot clinic in a long line and some guys passed out. After installing what looked like a quart container of the vaccination fluid, the medics would purge air out of the lines by squirting the stuff about 3 feet. That cause a few guys to hit the deck even before getting the shots.

BTW: Nice parody!

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, JerrySTL said:

USAF basic training in 1972. No little needle jabs - actually no needles at all. Instead the medics had injector guns hooked up to pumps and you got shots in both arms at once containing who knows what.  We were warned not to flinch or the shot might rip the skin on our arms. We got a yellow paper shot record that had all kinds of stuff entered into it.

We had to march though the shot clinic in a long line and a some guys passed out. After installing what looked like a quart container of the vaccination fluid, the medics would purge air out of the lines by squirting the stuff about 3 feet. That cause a few guys to hit the deck even before getting the shots.

BTW: Nice parody!

Oh I remember the gauntlet too.  6 medics  holding those air compressor shot guns three on either side.  Bam bam, take two steps bam, bam, take two steps bam, bam.

• Heart 1

24 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

For me it was smallpox.  The service had for some reason determined that I was allergic to smallpox vaccinations.

Smallpox could be making a comeback. Although officially there are only supposed to be 2 samples left under heavy security measures, there's been recent cases of samples being found in the back corners of labs gathering dust. Also with the new CRISPR technologies, it's very possible to recreate smallpox. Someone has already done it with the similar, but not deadly to humans, horse pox as a proof of concept.

I wonder what the anti-vaxxers will do if smallpox shows up in the wild?

24 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

The vaccination for PRI.  Like the flu shot it is only somewhat effective and in my case...

Oh wait, this is a parody.         And the Parody Meter says........ 3.45

My cootie shot.  I got it at around 3:45 in third grade from a cute girl named Jill Bratcher.   Never understood why anyone would not want to get cooties if cute girls give them to you.  What are cooties any way.  Do they turn you into an old coot?  I thought a coot was a kind of duck, ,but I am not sure.  My brother is the duck hunter in the family.  One time he was on a duck hunt.  He got there really early, before sunrise and put out over 100 decoys.  It was kind of foggy and he could hear a boat coming across the water.  It stopped in the middle of his decoys and then the dumb ass in the boat tells his hunting partner "hey these are decoy ducks!"  What kind of dummy cannot tell real ducks from plastic ducks?  Are plastic ducks related to plastic flamingos?  Why do people put pink flamingos in their yards.  Seems dumb.  I need to mow my lawn and probably spray it for weeds.  How come weeds grow so much better than grass and do not need fertilizer or watering or any of that?  I am thirsty now and am going to get a glass of tap water, even though I have never heard a single tap from my water.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bikeman564™ said:

that's it?

Yeah that's it.  He took perfectly good material, came up with a good parody title and then went on about his military vaccination history.  All The Meter saw was a good parody title and then blah, blah, smallpox, blah, blah, hepatitis, blah.

He let us down.

39 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Yeah that's it.  He took perfectly good material, came up with a good parody title and then went on about his military vaccination history.  All The Meter saw was a good parody title and then blah, blah, smallpox, blah, blah, hepatitis, blah.

He let us down.

does my reply above affect his score in any way?  I have never kept score, officially.  I was asked to keep score at one of the recent rugby games.  It was more of scrimmage and all I had to do was keep a running tally of trys.  No conversion kicks, etc.
I think I got it right but I was not sure as I got carried away in watching the game.  Has anyone ever been carried off by a bigfoot?  I like monster trucks, but Grave Digger is my favorite, not BigFoot.  I miss my truck, but driving a car is fun too.  I am listening to Jimmy Buffet radio on Pandora.  That is good fun music to work to.   Need to go reconcile cash transfers now.  

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, jsharr said:

does my reply above affect his score in any way? 

I don't think so 'cause I never read our reply.  Just kidding.  I like to kid sometimes.  Joker - like the joker cards in a card deck.  I don't really like playing cards.  I do like playing dominos and no not just lining them up and watching them fall.  I like to be the one that pushes the first domino and watching the line fall.  Have you ever seen a video of bored warehouse workers in a mattress factory doing that with mattresses?  I suppose there are other things that the bored workers could do in a mattress factory that their spouses wouldn't approve of.  That would be inappropriate.  Inappropriate like bare legs in a office setting.  Shootingstart had that issue yesterday.  I think her boss has an issue.  But then I have an issue.  That's what people tell me.  I don't believe them

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Road Runner said:

I think it was polio.  When I was a kid, polio was a real threat.  I remember lining up at a local school with a gazillion other people to get the vaccine when it first became available.  I was around 12 or so.  

I had polio when I was a kid. I was lucky, it was a very mild case. If I remember right, it's been about 60 years, they gave me a polio shot after I got better. I was surprised, but I sure didn't complain about it.

This whole thing is nuts. Measles is trying to do a comeback tour, we have just started seeing drug resistant strains pop up.

If you refuse vaccination, that is your choice. I don't care. But I would insist you live in an isolated community so you can't start spreading plague among civilised folk.

• Heart 2

The one I didn't like was when I got the polio vaccine in the 1950's, even though I grew up with kids who had had polio - with permanent problems like one leg a little shorter than the other, etc.  They were able to give it by swabbing the skin with the vaccine instead of injecting it. It caused the skin to become scarred. Instead of the small, round scar I saw on people who got it by injection before me, mine is a little bigger and roughly in the shape of South America, though I can barely locate it now.  Little (6 year-old maybe) me didn't like that on my shoulder!

My favorite ones were the annual flu shots in the years where fellow teachers who didn't get it caught the flu and I didn't and those of us vaccinated would tease the victims with "told you so" taunts.

Gamma globulin.  Big needle.  In the butt.  Prior to one of our deployments years ago.  It was cold that day.  The serum was thick, hence the big needle.  The nurse handed us the syringe as we walked in and told us to roll it back and forth between our hands to warm it up.  She was very good looking.  Then she told me to drop the flight suit and bend over.  Did I mention how big the needle was?    

• Heart 1