E bikes

Gump

Kinda depends...

I don't see a problem on access roads. But there are already problems with mtb bikes and powered devices on trails. They should have their own trail system, so they wouldn't be running over hikers.

We are starting regulate them here. Our town was first to act. They are now allowed on bike paths. The state just jumped in too. The county and National Parks should be next.

I'd love to see them on bike paths in the NPs. Reduce cars add bikes.

https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/legislature/article_9c61d690-e4a2-581c-b18b-75f4eb080152.html

• Heart 1

Only on paved trails or on trails that motorcycles can be on.   Who is going to be out there verifying that it is a class 1 bike?  Will there be indentifying plates required and paid for at the cyclist expense?   I would be concerned that some of the high zoot bikes get ont the trails and could cause issues.   But the same issues will exist if you force e bikes to ride where other motorized vehicles go.

The problem we have is under our regs they are considered a motor vehicle. That means on our forest access roads they would need to be registered and insured. We may be able to allow them on trails. It would only be class 1 bikes. 

I've weighed in before on the topic.  I think Class 1 is the only "legit" ebike for off-road cycling.  By off-road, I include MTB trails, bikes lanes, rail trails, shared non-motor vehicle paths. My last input to this debate (not about MTB trails, though) included this:

My solution is simple, yet likely not one you agree with.  I would outright ban use of Class 3 ebikes on trails and bike lanes.  Class 2 (throttle) would be banned at a later date to allow phase out, and Class 1 (lower speed pedal assist) would be the only ebikes allowed on trails and bike lanes.  I cannot possibly think of a reason for a bike with assist over 20mph to be used on a trail/bike lane.  If someone wants that for their commute, that's what we still have access to the roads for.  My commutes into DC along the W&OD, Custis, and L/M Street bikelanes show me that 20mph is a perfectly fine speed for a pedal assisted bike.  I'd be over the moon if I averaged anywhere near 20mph on the tough stretch on the Custis(!), so anything over 20mph due to a motor assist is INSANE.
  • Heart 1

How about people with medical reason why they need a little boost? My wife still rides slower than me even with her electric assist. She doesn’t ride enough for me to really care anymore but she wouldn’t be able to get out and enjoy the bike trails at all without some help. The grandkids like when nana rides with them on the trails.

6 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

How about people with medical reason why they need a little boost? My wife still rides slower than me even with her electric assist. She doesn’t ride enough for me to really care anymore but she wouldn’t be able to get out and enjoy the bike trails at all without some help. The grandkids like when nana rides with them on the trails.

It is very difficult to regulate for some while still preventing the 19 year old yahoo from terrorizing the peds and horses on the bike trail.  While ebikes have some positive benefits for some they are going to be as big a problem as the atv's are.

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

It is very difficult to regulate for some while still preventing the 19 year old yahoo from terrorizing the peds and horses on the bike trail.  While ebikes have some positive benefits for some they are going to be as big a problem as the atv's are.

I guess city people have a bigger problem than rural people. Often we never see anyone else on the trails we use or we see very light traffic.

53 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I guess city people have a bigger problem than rural people. Often we never see anyone else on the trails we use or we see very light traffic.

I suspect you're right as my trail is about the same.  I do notice however that at peak hours there is a distinct lack of courtesy from many.  Kids attempting to walk 4 wide while refusing to make eye contact with oncoming bikes.  Middle aged men riding the Tour de Trail through crowds.  We had a problem with atv's sneaking onto the trail and tearing it up, but some of us reported every pickup truck in sight with atv ramps at the trail heads and eventually that stopped.  It's a non motorized state park trail so I don't know what's going to happen with ebikes.  I still think that class 1 ebikes should be the only one's allowed to be called bicycles.  The rest are scooters and should be licensed.  We don't allow under 50cc scooters on the trail so why throttle ebikes.