I locked my keys in my car

Chris...

4 hours ago, BuffJim said:

I hate when that happens. I did that in the KFC parking lot. In the winter. With the engine running. I had a spare at home. 3 miles walk away. 

I had a dumbshit partner lock the keys In a patrol car responding to a traffic accident withh the lights & siren going.   We had to freaking listen to the siren for 15 minutes until another unit could come with the spare..

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Wilbur said:

You just need to pull harder..

toy-car-ryan-chapman-designboom-04.jpg

My wife went out to go to work one day and came back in and and said she had a flat tire. She always left for work about a half hour before I did. I told her to take my car and I’d fix it. The car was all iced over and it was raining. I tried to get the drivers door open and it was frozen shut, I tried to get the passenger door open and it was frozen shut.

I’m getting soaked and I haven’t even started to change the tire. I was going to start the car and get the heater going to melt the ice off the car. I pulled harder on the door handle and it broke off taking a gash out of my index finger on the sharp metal in the process. I went back to the drivers door and tried the key, yep, my wife had looked her doors in our driveway. We never lock our doors in this neighborhood. I started the car and turned the defroster on high. Getting blood all over everything in the process. Changed the tire and drove to work without a lunch because I didn’t have time to pack one. Bandaged my finger after I got to work.

i never did replace that door handle. I was so mad about her locking her doors in our driveway I figured if she wants to haul a passenger she can reach over from the driver side and unlatch the door.

This story could use some statements of how this made me feel but it was mostly anger, frustration, and pain.

• Heart 3

This is why God made BFRs and spread them conveniently around the world. :nodhead:

The good news is you know where your key is. The Mrs has lost two of her $175 key fobs over the last few years. One we've never found. The other I found after the snow melted, destroyed by the snowthrower. :(

bfr.jpg

• Haha 1

Can cars still be unlocked by that jimmying tool that police officers would slide down down along the windows?  I bet not.

Make sure to try to open the car door before assuming the keys are locked inside.  I didn't.

When my 2013 Honda Fit was new, I was just getting used to my first remote car door opener - my previous 1997 Ford Taurus lasted 16 years and didn't have a remote.

So in 2013 I drove to a parking lot alongside a bike trail and went for an hour's ride.  After I returned, I looked at my wrist wallet - where I kept my car key - and it was unzipped and empty. Very upset, I jumped on the bike and hoped the key had fallen out in the first mile or so.  No luck finding it on retracing part of the ride.

I returned to my car wondering who to call when I looked inside the car and there, on the front passenger seat, was my car key!  My other key was on a ring in my glove compartment.  I wondered how to get them out then, after a minute's thought, it occurred to me that I now only lock my car with the remote, so if the keys are in the car: how is it locked?

Sure enough, I tried the door and it opened!

As it turned out, I had forgotten my water bottle when I originally began my ride, opened the car with the key from the wrist wallet, then forgot to put the key back in the wrist walletafter I got the water bottle.

I was VERY lucky no one of evil intent walked past the car - parked in fairly large parking lot near public basketball courts and a playground - and saw the key!

12 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I had a dumbshit partner lock the keys In a patrol car responding to a traffic accident withh the lights & siren going.   We had to freaking listen to the siren for 15 minutes until another unit could come with the spare..

You know damned well they could have gotten there in 2 minutes, but they thought it would be funny to let you suffer a little longer.  :angry:

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

I had a 1972 Toyota Corolla that I found out, quite by accident, that if you pushed in on the outside of the door panel at just the right place a little, it would unlock the car. A buddy had a 1973 and it worked on his also.

Fonzie !

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 2