The new Jeopardy champion is pretty smart

Road Runner

42 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

So, RR, did you blow a gasket when you saw tonight's?

In a rare moment of clarity, I got the one element answer that he didn't know.  Plutonium.  Watching him is kind of like watching a magician at work.  It's all a mystery to me how he can store so much information and, at the same time, be able to so easily and quickly access it.  It's like his memory isn't human, but more like that of a computer.  He amazes me. 

7 hours ago, Road Runner said:

In a rare moment of clarity, I got the one element answer that he didn't know.  Plutonium.  Watching him is kind of like watching a magician at work.  It's all a mystery to me how he can store so much information and, at the same time, be able to so easily and quickly access it.  It's like his memory isn't human, but more like that of a computer.  He amazes me. 

Yup!  I had the thought that he needs to go up against Watson!

• Awesome 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Road Runner said:

The person that recognized Jame's potential after only two games and started this thread almost a month ago is a freaking genius.  :)

“Only two days, but he could be the next long term winner”

Who knew

• Heart 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/6/2019 at 1:12 PM, Road Runner said:

Only two days, but he could be the next long term winner.  In just two days, he has already won $82,606.  

It is hard to predict what will happen on Jeopardy due to all the variables, but this guy knows a ridiculous amount of trivia, doesn't answer incorrectly and seems unflappable under pressure.    

You were so wrong about this guy.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I sure hope James doesn't turn oot to be a Lance! 

Maybe he is snorting Ritalin off a hooker's ass!

A hooker's ass?  How does the use of a prostitute's derriere improve your ability to play Jeopardy!?  And if it does, how do you know this?   :huh: 

• Haha 1

On 4/17/2019 at 7:54 AM, Kzoo said:

And if you are the one answering most of the questions you are also the one most likely to pick the Daily Double.

And why is it called Daily Double when there are 3 of them?

Because it gives you the opportunity to double your money, if you are brave enough.

James needs a little less than 60K on Monday's game to surpass Jennings and become the top all-time, regular play, winnings champion.  

All-Time Regular Play Winnings List:
1. Ken Jennings, $2,520,700
2. James Holzhauer, $2,462,216
3. David Madden, $430,400
4. Julia Collins, $428,100
5. Matt Jackson, $411,612

• Whatever 1
  • Awesome 1

50 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

James needs a little less than 60K on Monday's game to surpass Jennings and become the top all-time, regular play, winnings champion.  

All-Time Regular Play Winnings List:
1. Ken Jennings, $2,520,700
2. James Holzhauer, $2,462,216
3. David Madden, $430,400
4. Julia Collins, $428,100
5. Matt Jackson, $411,612

I always feel like Brad Rutter gets slighted in these things.  Isn't he the biggest jeopardy winner counting all the odd stuff like special tournaments and such?  Brb!

Yes! 4.788 millyun. Yet another record for James to blow right by shortly!

Now I have to google when the saison is over!

9 hours ago, Road Runner said:

I feel bad for James, but apparently his losing is making Cheese very happy.  So there is that to be thankful for.  :)

Also makes his young daughter happy as he told her they would have a party when he lost.  I'm still not sure whether it is real or tv rating fake news.

• Heart 1

On 6/1/2019 at 6:44 PM, Road Runner said:

A hooker's ass?  How does the use of a prostitute's derriere improve your ability to play Jeopardy!?  And if it does, how do you know this?   :huh: 

Cause it means he knows his shit. 

30 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Yes, sure sounds like possible hype!

I think it is real.  The site where I get my dope on the show usually gives the details of the same day's show early in the day.  Today, they aren't divulging the outcome like they usually do and they are telling us to watch the show instead.  Definitely sounds like James is losing tonight.   :(

• Awesome 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Road Runner said:

I think it is real.  The site where I get my dope on the show usually gives the details of the same day's show early in the day.  Today, they aren't divulging the outcome like they usually do and they are telling us to watch the show instead.  Definitely sounds like James is losing tonight.   :(

Maybe Ken Jennings put a hit on him. :(

Now I am a feared to go oot for a ride before the show in case I flat!

With didn’t they both bet everything?  I never understood that.  2nd and 3rd prizes are basically negligible, so I say go for the gusto!  Although I could see Emma stopping a couple thousand short of everything in case James bet most or all of his and missed.  Oh wait, I just noticed that she did bet just enough to beat him if he had missed it.  She is good!  Interesting, the lady who beat Ken Jennings went on to loose in the next round.

And Jay acted like a third party candidate, popping in to steal enough answers from them both to help affect the results. :D  Before, many times there was no competition from the third person, or sometimes from neither the second and third persons.

4 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

With didn’t they both bet everything?

Based on James' performance over the last few months, his wager last night made no sense (although it turned out it didn't matter what he wagered).  Was this the first time he wasn't in the lead going into FJ?  Perhaps he didn't have any confidence in the topic?  (I know I didn't.)  It looked like he was playing to guarantee he finished ahead of the middle guy.

6 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Why didn’t they both bet everything?  I never understood that.  2nd and 3rd prizes are basically negligible, so I say go for the gusto!  Although I could see Emma stopping a couple thousand short of everything in case James bet most or all of his and missed.

Both James and Emma made excellent bets.  Here's why:

Emma is in the lead going into Final and can't lose if she bets right and gets the Final question correct.  Emma bet just enough (20,201) to win if she got the answer right, even if James doubled his money in Final.  If she missed it, she might have enough left to come in second (2K verus 1K is significant if you only play once).  The leader going into Final always wins if they bet enough to beat the person in second.  Emma did exactly what she needed to do.

James knew Emma was smart and he had to assume she would bet enough to win if she got the Final question correct.  He knew his only hope was that she would miss Final and he could win by default.  But in the rare possibility that he, too, might miss Final, he bet small.  He knew that if Emma got Final wrong, he would likely win, but if he had bet big like he usually does and missed, he could have still lost to Jay, who could have doubled his money and ended up with 22,000.  Even if James had missed Final, his bet of 1,399 assured that he would end up with more than Jay at 22,001.  

So James made the perfect bet under the circumstances, if he wanted to maximize his chances of winning and remain the champ (more important than the money).  James bet enough to win if Emma got Final wrong but not so much such that he could lose to Jay if he, too, had missed the Final question.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

5 hours ago, Road Runner said:

Both James and Emma made excellent bets.  Here's why:

Emma is in the lead going into Final and can't lose if she bets right and gets the Final question correct.  Emma bet just enough (20,201) to win if she got the answer right, even if James doubled his money in Final.  If she missed it, she might have enough left to come in second (2K verus 1K is significant if you only play once).  The leader going into Final always wins if they bet enough to beat the person in second.  Emma did exactly what she needed to do.

James knew Emma was smart and he had to assume she would bet enough to win if she got the Final question correct.  He knew his only hope was that she would miss Final and he could win by default.  But in the rare possibility that he, too, might miss Final, he bet small.  He knew that if Emma got Final wrong, he would likely win, but if he had bet big like he usually does and missed, he could have still lost to Jay, who could have doubled his money and ended up with 22,000.  Even if James had missed Final, his bet of 1,399 assured that he would end up with more than Jay at 22,001.  

So James made the perfect bet under the circumstances, if he wanted to maximize his chances of winning and remain the champ (more important than the money).  James bet enough to win if Emma got Final wrong but not so much such that he could lose to Jay if he, too, had missed the Final question.

That made my head hurt, but I’ll concur to your analysis, rr!  I wasn’t thinking aboot #3.  

• Awesome 1

7 hours ago, TrentonMakes said:

Based on James' performance over the last few months, his wager last night made no sense (although it turned out it didn't matter what he wagered).  Was this the first time he wasn't in the lead going into FJ?  Perhaps he didn't have any confidence in the topic?  (I know I didn't.)  It looked like he was playing to guarantee he finished ahead of the middle guy.

James always had confidence in every conceivable category. I think he was beaten last night by some fantabulous buzzer reflexes by both opponents!  The sum bitch knows damn near every answer! 

• Whatever 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Road Runner said:

I'm kind of interested in what James will do next.  He is obviously very talented in certain ways.  I wonder if someone will recognize his talents and utilize them in some very positive and interesting way.  :)

I think he is headed for a game show hosting career. 

• Whatever 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Why the sad? It is snot a bad gig! Just ask Alex or pat or vanna!

Vanna is a total waste.  There was a time many years ago when they needed someone to manually turn the letters, but now it could all be done off screen with a push of a button.  Her job is just for looks.  She accomplishes nothing.   

• Whatever 1
  • Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Vanna is a total waste.  There was a time many years ago when they needed someone to manually turn the letters, but now it could all be done off screen with a push of a button.  Her job is just for looks.  She accomplishes nothing.   

No schitt!  But she gets paid well!