Crazy to replace bike parts vs. buy new bike?

shootingstar

I ride my hybrid bike lots over the past 13 yrs. as a commuter, for general fitness  and also have done some bike loaded touring over the years.  It fits me well and it's not a name brand where I can lock up without over-obsessing it'll be stolen.

I've had it outfitted with strong bike rack to take a lot of grocery load, SchwablePlus slightly wider tires (which 1 needs to be replaced after 5 yrs. use).  I've had replace the whole cassette twice, derailleur,  bike chain and cable housing.

Bike mechanic told me that my gear shifters will need replacement with the cables that come with it.  I found out after he tinkered with the gearing where he fixed the shifting.

I have a pyscho problem:  I know the best bike for me (5'1" in height) will be a challenge to find because I'm petite, so it's a huge search for me for good fit.  I also know I want the fullest range of gears..and to buy a name brand bike...nearly is guaranteeing theft since I do use my bike for errands, etc.  

I would like to give my present 1 one shot of life...to replace another part (plus a tire rim that I've been warned will bust one day...).  How long did you ride your best-loved, most heavily used bike?  

I think the shop has a point because they are doing the service for you.  If you were able to wrench on your own bike you could save considerably making more sense to hold on to your bike.  

That’s a hard decision, I see the merits of both replacing worn parts and buying a new bike but given your concerns I’d lean towards replacing worn parts. But you may be spending as much as new.

My oldest bike is about 12 years old now but it’s never been my primary ride as I also ride my Cross & mtn bikes a lot.  I replaced the wheels when the spoke eyelets pulled through but amazingly original drivetrain with maybe 15K miles.  Chain checker shows chain still good so never replaced drivetrain.

54 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

How long did you ride your best-loved, most heavily used bike?  

...I have had this Raleigh 3 speed since I bought it in a thrift store here in the mid `80's.  Everything on it except the frame, fork, and crank has been replaced at least once. Some stuff three and four times.  It roughly serves the same purposes you describe as an errand bike, but I wouldn't want to tour on it.  The problem is you have to do all the work yourself to make it economically practical versus just buying something new.

Retro Raleigh Post Apocalyptic Transportation Device 001.jpg

• Heart 2
  • Envious 1

Buy the new name brand bike and a quart of flat brown enamel and a four inch paintbrush. Ride the bike home and paint it. Don’t be too careful, you don’t want pretty. Nobody will want to steal it and it will still ride the same. Or you could just remove all the decals that say what kind of bike it is. Don’t wash your bike, a clean, pretty bike invites theft.

I've probably spent more on parts and bike mechanic labour than the bike itself. However it doesn't freak me out....because I don't have a car and its costs.  Cycling is genuinely how I get around whenever it's not snowy/icy.  It IS my primary transportation. The bike is aluminum which dearie tells me that the metal will eventually wear out /warp one day.  The mileage on the bike has varied tremendously year to year.  First few years I probably was putting on 3,000 km. Years of unemployment (probably 2 in total), were 5,000 km. annually.  Now I'm probably riding it under 2,000 km annually.  So it total I've probably done.....55,000 km. on it.

Sigh. I'm not going to plough through photos to find a photo up close.  Here's me on this bike...at least gives how well the bike fits me. I still wear that jacket which I've had over the past um....15 years. I genuinely wear stuff that fits me well, until it's in tatters..  I've contemplated what would I gift myself when I retired....

latespring2015.jpg?w=300&h=233Jan. 2014 winter cycling.

32 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Buy the new name brand bike and a quart of flat brown enamel and a four inch paintbrush. Ride the bike home and paint it. Don’t be too careful, you don’t want pretty. Nobody will want to steal it and it will still ride the same. Or you could just remove all the decals that say what kind of bike it is. Don’t wash your bike, a clean, pretty bike invites theft.

I've broken the clean bike very easily.  I would shock many folks here....for dirty....therefore malfunctioning bike. ?

• Haha 1

I would replace the parts.  If you have a bike that you have set up for your needs, and it fits you well, even if the parts cost what a new bike would, you will be riding it once the service work is done, rather that messing with the setup for the next 3 years.  Also, most new bikes have a lot fewer gears these days.  I would be lucky to find one that I could actually ride in all types of terrain and weather conditions.

30 minutes ago, jdc2000 said:

I would replace the parts.  If you have a bike that you have set up for your needs, and it fits you well, even if the parts cost what a new bike would, you will be riding it once the service work is done, rather that messing with the setup for the next 3 years.  Also, most new bikes have a lot fewer gears these days.  I would be lucky to find one that I could actually ride in all types of terrain and weather conditions.

Also, most new bikes have a lot fewer gears these days. 

I feel sadder if that's your observation.  Just less choice on gearing.  Little, older me, would always need more gearing.  I know dearie asked for maximum gear ratio...he couldn't quite get it. He does his research very carefully and patiently across bike stores and catalgoues.

6 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I also know I want the fullest range of gears..

...on gearing and changing it:  It's not a big deal, and a lot of how much range you can support has to do with how much clack chain your rear derailleur will handle.  Longer cage on rear derailleur = more overall range.  It's not a big deal to either change out your crank rings for something smaller, or  your rear cog cluster for something with more overall range and a bigger largest cog.

So   if you decide to do the repair route, now would be the time to mention the gearing thing.  That way whoever does it will buy the rear derailleur with a pretty long cage.  Overall gear range (the difference from highest to lowest gear) is more important for someone who is not trying to maintain a certain max cadence, and is more interested in making all the hills without standing up.  Actual number of gear choices in between high and low are of secondary importance.  

If you are happy with the fit, have money invested in the rack, and enjoy riding this bike around (IOW, you're accustomed to it), it makes sense from my perspective to look around for some brifters/shifters on sale at Ribble or someplace like it, a new cogset and KMC chain, some kind of middle of the road derailleur package that includes front and rear.  Then look for someone to install it.  You might have to look around to find someone who will install stuff you buy on the internet...which is why it turns out easier doing this stuff yourself if you can.

If you can visit a local bike co-op, even if you don't end up doing the work yourself, someone can explain what's going on and how it ought to work.If you're doing all this changeout, now is the time to figure out the gearing that will work best for you if it's different than the original stuff.

The bicycle industry targets primarily folks with disposable income. Recreational riders. Practical transportation solutions are somewhat rare. Options to maintain a long service life are not common. You have to take that on yourself. The industry would rather sell you a new bike every few years. I am frequently amazed at the lack of repair parts and useful accessories available in the US. Europe and Asia both have a lot of parts and accessories in their market. Ebay does help in that respect with Asian sellers.

• Heart 2

40 minutes ago, donkpow said:

The bicycle industry targets primarily folks with disposable income. Recreational riders. Practical transportation solutions are somewhat rare. Options to maintain a long service life are not common. You have to take that on yourself. The industry would rather sell you a new bike every few years. I am frequently amazed at the lack of repair parts and useful accessories available in the US. Europe and Asia both have a lot of parts and accessories in their market. Ebay does help in that respect with Asian sellers.

Much of the 8 speed equipment on my bike came from a shop in Europe where 8 speed is still a very viable drive train setup.

As an unabashed shill I'll mention Chain Reaction Cycles in Ireland.

• Heart 2

On 4/6/2019 at 4:21 PM, shootingstar said:

I ride my hybrid bike lots over the past 13 yrs. as a commuter,

13 years old is not even middle age for a bike!  Why would you cast aside a still functioning bike UNLESS you had a hankering for something new and shiny which doesn't seem to be the case. 

New shifters are dirt cheap, and VERY LIKELY something you and your hubby could install yourselves.  

$40 for these (3x7sp):

image.thumb.png.8f8ad89a86dd8922821b13169942d1a4.png

or $40 for the 3x 8sp:

image.thumb.png.b7ec0d474b9d1f75e21f2164a3aca31a.png

• Heart 2

On 4/7/2019 at 7:15 AM, maddmaxx said:

As an unabashed shill I'll mention Chain Reaction Cycles in Ireland.

I was a big PBK fan, UNTIL they opened their US website.  No longer can you buy parts from the UK for WAY less, and the options of US vs UK (specifically for drivetrain) are night and day.  It is horrible.

Chain Reaction has a US site as well - have you had success getting stuff from the non-US site, or are you "forced" to use the US one? I might have to see if I can just use a proxy server or something with a UK IP, but I bet PBK has adjusted their site to no longer ship to the US if using the UK portal. :(

This is your transportation, and one way or another, you are going to pay for transport.

You still face a tough problem. You have a bike you like, but you are tempted.

So let's change the rules of the game. You have a good bike, what you really want is a great bike. That's going to cost, and a lot more than fixing up what you have.

I pretty much know you're smarter than I am, so that option is out. But I will say a great bike is something magical.

So let's make your good bike even better. I'd swap out the suspension fork for a carbon fork. Do you know about those grips that have an area for your palm to rest on? They work well, and they aren't expensive. I like Vittoria tires. The Randonneur tire is a good choice, I haven't tried the Rando E Tech, but that also might be good. Schwalbe tires are very durable, but they tend to the heavy side, and their beefy sidewalls tend to make them feel lifeless to me. YMMV. Vittoria used to make a tire I loved to  death, but they stopped making it.

Since you have issues with the wheels, this would be a good time to get new. I like Dyad rims, if they can survive me, they can survive anything, and they aren't heavy.

http://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/dyad-622

https://www.amazon.com/SAPLIZE-Handlebar-Mountain-Ergonomic-Protection/dp/B07KXN7K5X/ref=zg_bs_3494261_18?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=BV2HASWJWZEA6D46V1BK

https://www.amazon.com/Ergon-GR9546-P-GP1-Grips/dp/B00PUG828Q/ref=zg_bs_3494261_28?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=BV2HASWJWZEA6D46V1BK

https://www.amazon.com/Weanas-Generation-Handlebar-Resistance-Ergonomics/dp/B073GJ48BS/ref=zg_bs_3494261_35?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=BV2HASWJWZEA6D46V1BK

How do you feel about your saddle? Have you considered adding one of those nice bright led rear lights?

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

No longer can you buy parts from the UK for WAY less,

...Ribble and Wiggle still have some deals, but probably less of the stuff you use. There used to be some great deals on 8 speed Shimano cogsets and shifters, but those are gradually disappearing as the stock gets used up and Shimano makes less of it.  I have so much 8 and less stuff here that, even if I never buy another part, I could never wear it all out in the time I have left alive. :) 

I have been forced late in life to start rebuilding freewheels of the close ratio 5 speed variety.  I never thought that would happen, but the used ones don't seem to appear magically any more, and they are commanding regal prices on e-bay.  5 speed freewheels were a throw away consumable, like chains and tubes and brake shoes, for my entire life...up until now. :( 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

I was a big PBK fan, UNTIL they opened their US website.  No longer can you buy parts from the UK for WAY less, and the options of US vs UK (specifically for drivetrain) are night and day.  It is horrible.

Chain Reaction has a US site as well - have you had success getting stuff from the non-US site, or are you "forced" to use the US one? I might have to see if I can just use a proxy server or something with a UK IP, but I bet PBK has adjusted their site to no longer ship to the US if using the UK portal. :(

I buy from Ireland.  I wasn't even aware that they had a us site.

Are the shifters above for road or mtb drive trains?

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Are the shifters above for road or mtb drive trains?

They are the Shimano ST-EF510 and the Shimano EF65-2A, but all sorts of similar variations are available.  I would say they are "MTB", but I think most hybrids are in the "MTB" drivetrain. I guess in the SRAM world, it is all the same, but seemingly Shimano does have a split at some point between the road and mtb lines, and I have no idea where something like my wife's hybrid lines up.  I do know the bike shop swapped out her grip shifts for thumb shifters, and installed it with new cables for under $100 (parts and labor).  So, if  SS want's to work with her hubby on a project next weekend, they can get it done on the cheap.  

Looks like 7sp is only $20/pair for low end Shimano - shifter only (keep your existing brake levers).

image.png.4d9b5ad666d612a3edbdc027943d7ff5.png

• Heart 1

On 4/6/2019 at 4:21 PM, shootingstar said:

I ride my hybrid bike lots over the past 13 yrs. as a commuter, for general fitness  and also have done some bike loaded touring over the years.  It fits me well and it's not a name brand where I can lock up without over-obsessing it'll be stolen.

I've had it outfitted with strong bike rack to take a lot of grocery load, SchwablePlus slightly wider tires (which 1 needs to be replaced after 5 yrs. use).  I've had replace the whole cassette twice, derailleur,  bike chain and cable housing.

Bike mechanic told me that my gear shifters will need replacement with the cables that come with it.  I found out after he tinkered with the gearing where he fixed the shifting.

I have a pyscho problem:  I know the best bike for me (5'1" in height) will be a challenge to find because I'm petite, so it's a huge search for me for good fit.  I also know I want the fullest range of gears..and to buy a name brand bike...nearly is guaranteeing theft since I do use my bike for errands, etc.  

I would like to give my present 1 one shot of life...to replace another part (plus a tire rim that I've been warned will bust one day...).  How long did you ride your best-loved, most heavily used bike?  

Still riding my old bikes.  A 1991 Cannondale, a 1995 Mongoose, and I bought. 1990 Trek a couple years ago to refurbish and tour with.  Lovin’ it:

F88908F9-46AB-4DCC-8B03-1BBC4522C100.thumb.jpeg.39ac5097eed0abc2a9ebd68f9da3bdb2.jpeg

I work on my own bikes though. So anything I do is only the price of parts and additions; which I bargain shop for as well.  

I love breathing life life into previously retired things. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1