I found fresh Haddock!

MickinMD

I don't like shoes that pinch your toes, or people that squirt you with a garden hose but, ooh, I love haddock!

And I bought onions today, too.

I love the taste and texture of haddock, my favorite whitefish, and the facts that it's low in mercury, is only 20 Cal/oz. and I don't have to load it up with calories of condiments to make it taste good.

So I was worried because the Shoprite supermarket in Glen Burnie, Maryland is permanently closing.  For years it has been the only store within 15 minutes of my house where I can regularly find decent 3/4" thick, fresh haddock filets.

So I stopped at Shoprite today, to pick up a couple 1 lb filets before it closes.  They've closed down the fresh fish counter and, even though the store is half-empty, they haven't put anything on sale!

So, this afternoon, I decided to hit all the supermarkets on Ritchie Hwy, the main drag between Baltimore and Annapolis, seeking fresh haddock.  A little more than halfway to Annapolis, in Pasadena, Maryland, at the usually-somewhat-expensive Harris-Teeter supermarket, they had fresh haddock filets, though they are mostly only 1/2" thick. The woman working the seafood counter said they regularly carry them and often in better quality. I got two 1 lb filets for $9.99/lb.  Anything less than $12/lb in my area is a decent price.  My cousin in another port city, Philadelphia, says it's the same there.  Her sister, in a small town in NE Pennsylvania, across the Susquehanna River from Wilkes-Barre, pays $5.99/lb. She also gets live crabs steamed there for about the same price I pay in Baltimore. Go figure!

It's a reasonable 20 minutes from my house, so I am celebrating a new source of fish!

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

18 hours ago, Airehead said:

Annapolis Seafood Market. What does it run there?

Isnt  NBS Seafood market near you?

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll phone NBS ahead of time when I next need haddock.

Annapolis seafood market is about a 35 min drive from my home, as is the Amish Market west of Annapolis in Parole, and Shoreline Seafood SW of Annap. in Crofton (the best one overall in my experience) and Wegman's Supermarket in Crofton, but I was looking for something closer - and those places are all hit or miss with haddock and often expensive.

NBS, on Dorsey Road, is only 15 min. away, but it's basically a shack on the side of the road that often has good deals on crabs and shrimp, but I've never seen haddock there - but thanks for the suggestion, I'll phone them before I go looking for more.

There are some excellent fresh fish markets in Baltimore City, but unless I'm going to buy a lot of stuff, the additional expense of parking isn't worth it except for some satellites outside of the heart of downtown where some free parking on side-streets is sometimes available. The only one of those that's close to 20 min. from my house is the Cross Street Market on S. Charles St. at the foot of Federal Hill, where some free parking along the side-streets is still possible - the city keeps adding parking meters every place it thinks of, even outside of downtown.  But it's not as much a fish market as the Lexington Market, which is in a harder-to-park area another 10-15 minutes away.

• Heart 1