I am concerned about Wilbur

Randomguy

6 minutes ago, wilbur said:

Get Thursdays.  Nice quality for everyday use and cheap!  I bought some Captains and like them a lot.  

Ha, I looked at those last night!  That ad came up and I looked and wanted.  My problem is that I need a narrow size and have low foot volume, so most shoes don't fit me right.  I sure wanted the ones I saw, though, I liked all the brown-esque ones...

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

Ha, I looked at those last night!  That ad came up and I looked and wanted.  My problem is that I need a narrow size and have low foot volume, so most shoes don't fit me right.  I sure wanted the ones I saw, though, I will check the color right now...

Free shipping, free returns.  

2 minutes ago, wilbur said:

Free shipping, free returns.  

One day...

I am dealing with shoe situations right now, on a much smaller scale.  My mother had returned something from Sierra Trading Post a while back and gave me the credit, so I ordered something that gave me the best chance at a decent fit and basic utility for next winter and kinda looked ok.  Didn't fit, sending them back.  

Also, I have a defective pair of Merrell shoes, the trim is has ground away the mesh fabric where they meet.  I figured that this would probably be common defect and called the company, and sure enough, they said they would replace them no problem.  I think great, I will wear these until I get the replacements, but I got the instructions via email, and I have to cut the tongues out of the defective shoes and take a photo of the shoe killing.  Probably they have a lot of folks gaming them for free shoes or somesuch, but I am wondering if I can cut these in a way and re-sew the tongues back in and wear the frankenshoes a bit longer until the replacements arrive.  At any rate, free shoes!  Plus, it is nice when a company stands behind their product, so that is cool.

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Also, I have a defective pair of Merrell shoes, the trim is has ground away the mesh fabric where they meet.  I figured that this would probably be common defect and called the company, and sure enough, they said they would replace them no problem. ...

I have some Merrell hiking boots I got at REI that are almost worn out on the bottoms, and nothing has gone wrong with the trim or mesh.  I evened them out on the soles and heels a little bit with a grinder and a rasp about 6 months ago, but they're getting beyond saving on the soles.

52 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

What color did you get?  I like the terracotta, Arizona Adobe, and burnt copper.  The dark olive suede is pretty cool, too.

I went with Brandy but modified them.  They are a lot closer to black on the toes and heels now with rich patena brown everywhere else.  

• Heart 1

55 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

I have some Merrell hiking boots I got at REI that are almost worn out on the bottoms, and nothing has gone wrong with the trim or mesh.  I evened them out on the soles and heels a little bit with a grinder and a rasp about 6 months ago, but they're getting beyond saving on the soles.

Yeah, I have been getting their shoes for the past 7 years or so, and not had problems until the previous model.  I bet somebody got fired for the fabric choice.

1 hour ago, Page Turner said:

Get some new soles on them.

https://gearpatrol.com/2018/09/11/dave-page-the-best-boot-resoler/

https://www.davepagecobbler.com/

On 4/8/2019 at 9:33 PM, Randomguy said:

One day...

I am dealing with shoe situations right now, on a much smaller scale.  My mother had returned something from Sierra Trading Post a while back and gave me the credit, so I ordered something that gave me the best chance at a decent fit and basic utility for next winter and kinda looked ok.  Didn't fit, sending them back.  

Also, I have a defective pair of Merrell shoes, the trim is has ground away the mesh fabric where they meet.  I figured that this would probably be a common defect and called the company, and sure enough, they said they would replace them no problem.  I think great, I will wear these until I get the replacements, but I got the instructions via email, and I have to cut the tongues out of the defective shoes and take a photo of the shoe killing.  Probably they have a lot of folks gaming them for free shoes or somesuch, but I am wondering if I can cut these in a way and re-sew the tongues back in and wear the frankenshoes a bit longer until the replacements arrive.  At any rate, free shoes!  Plus, it is nice when a company stands behind their product, so that is cool.

I cut the tongues out of the defective shoes, but I can't resew them.  It hurt to cut them up, I am all sad.  On the other hand, I get a new pair of shoes out of the deal, so I am happy, too.  I have complex shoe emotions.

I ultimately decided the Sierra Trading Company boots fit ok after trying them on again, especially for the price.   They misrouted them and misrouted them again, and I complained a bit and they gave me another $20 off.  The end result is I have a pair of $150 waterproof boots for a little over $14 all said and done.  The aren't the ideal boot, but you wear the boot you have (plus the price is right).

IMG_0241.JPG

• Sad 1

On 4/8/2019 at 9:09 PM, wilbur said:

I bought some Captains and like them a lot.  

Do you have to be a captain to buy those?  You never see ‘copilot’ boots anywhere, you know. 

I tried some on today, but didn’t tell them I wasn’t a captain, I didn’t want to be barred from the store like Cheese is. 

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Do you have to be a captain to buy those?  You never see ‘copilot’ boots anywhere, you know. 

I tried some on today, but didn’t tell them I wasn’t a captain, I didn’t want to be barred from the store like Cheese is. 

Try on the "Cookie pushers".  :)