Got my turkey this morning

Kzoo

About 2 miles from home - a big Tom on the opposite shoulder decided he wanted to fly in front of me.  I couldn't stop in time.  He slammed into my windshield.  I have an appointment to have it replaced this afternoon.  The thing hit right in front of me - dead center in my vision and shattered the glass.  I was able to drive to work OK but maybe not legally - unobstructed vision and all.  Leaning a little to the right I had a clear view of the road.  Sort'a like driving in a snow storm.  Slow down and keep some extra distance.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Kzoo said:

My thought exactly

When I hit the deer years ago there was absolutely no doubt.  The windshield hit my hands on the steering wheel and later that night I finally had a video replay of the deer's head just in front of my face.  The windshield pillar on the drivers side and the edge of the roof above my head proved to be the final barrier before the deer spun back out and totaled the drivers side of the car.  He came from my left front and attempted to jump over my car according to witnesses.  All I remember is a blur and the late night "video".  I remember every inch of attempting to stop a 60 mph car while eyes closed however including getting off the brakes and re aiming the car by feel so as not to go into the oncoming traffic.  I also remember laughing after I stopped and womaxx took one look at me and screamed.  Itty bitty glass slivers make more blood than serious cuts though.  Fortunately I wear glasses

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

When I hit the deer years ago there was absolutely no doubt.  The windshield hit my hands on the steering wheel and later that night I finally had a video replay of the deer's head just in front of my face.  The windshield pillar on the drivers side and the edge of the roof above my head proved to be the final barrier before the deer spun back out and totaled the drivers side of the car.  He came from my left front and attempted to jump over my car according to witnesses.  All I remember is a blur and the late night "video".  I remember every inch of attempting to stop a 60 mph car while eyes closed however including getting off the brakes and re aiming the car by feel so as not to go into the oncoming traffic.  I also remember laughing after I stopped and womaxx took one look at me and screamed.  Itty bitty glass slivers make more blood than serious cuts though.  Fortunately I wear glasses

Glad you were OK.  Mine only took out the left front of the car back to the wheel, and stayed below the windshield.

Stinking turkeys are everywhere these days. When I was a kid the only place I saw turkeys was in the big woods in the Pa. mountains. Today as I was driving in to Pittsburgh I was about six miles out, stuck in traffic and there on the hill was a whole flock of turkeys and a big Tom was strutting his stuff trying to impress the ladies.

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

Stinking turkeys are everywhere these days. When I was a kid the only place I saw turkeys was in the big woods in the Pa. mountains. Today as I was driving in to Pittsburgh I was about six miles out, stuck in traffic and there on the hill was a whole flock of turkeys and a big Tom was strutting his stuff trying to impress the ladies.

Trying?  TRYING? I will have you know sir, that even though a gentleman does not kiss and tell, there was no 'try"  I put the "butt" in Butterball today sir.

• Haha 1

Just now, Kzoo said:

We use to hunt turkey in the big woods- Warren County.  It was an excuse to spend a weekend at the cabin.  No turkeys were ever harmed.

Maybe you should have just driven around in the "big woods" instead of trying to use a gun.

When I was 29 years old I lived in Warren county. That was the first place I ever saw wild turkeys on a daily basis. When I would cross country ski through the woods the turkeys didn’t hear me coming and I didn’t see them until I scared the bejeebers out of them and they in turn scared the bejeebers out of me when they took off.

Just now, Longjohn said:

When I was 29 years old I lived in Warren county. That was the first place I ever saw wild turkeys on a daily basis. When I would cross country ski through the woods the turkeys didn’t hear me coming and I didn’t see them until I scared the bejeebers out of them and they in turn scared the bejeebers out of me when they took off.

That was you?  yeah, to say you scared the bejeebers out of  us in an understatement!  Why do you ski naked like that anyway?