Walmart Makes a Mind Boggling Move into High Dollar Bicycles

Page Turner

Walmart Launches High End 'Viathon' Bike Brand

The Waltons are no strangers to the cycling world. The Walton brothers are avid cyclists that have poured millions of dollars into trail construction around their Bentonville, Arkansas headquarters through the Walton Family Foundation, and Tom Walton was a speaker at last year’s IMBA World Summit in Bentonville. In 2017, high-end road cycling apparel brand Rapha sold to the grandsons of Walmart founder Sam Walton. 

Rapha isn’t being sold in Walmart stores or on Walmart.com however, and until recently, Walmart wasn’t catering to customers looking to drop over $1,000 on a mountain bike. While their first offering may not be enough to pull core mountain bikers away from their local shops or established direct to consumer brands, who is to say future offerings won’t. You can bet that Walmart didn’t take this step lightly and has a whole team of analysts looking at the market potential. 

Bikes are also a very technical product to sell, so how the company manages resources for customer service and warranty could make or break the brand. The bikes are assembled to 98% using Carlsbad, California based company Lucidity to be ready for a home delivery requiring minimal final assembly. Walmart says that their website will host a repository of quick-start and assembly instructions and customer service will be offered through support@viathonbicycles.com and on @viathonbicycles social media accounts. They will also have a 1-800 number that will connect to heir customer care team. 

...I'm wondering who in his right mind will spend $6,000 for a bike and buy it with the level of support you get from your average Walmart .

16 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...I'm wondering who in his right mind will spend $6,000 for a bike and buy it with the level of support you get from your average Walmart .

Labor of love? I think Rapha hemorrhages money, but it is still neat. Hopefully, to them, money isn't the make/break criteria for their cycling interest.

On 4/9/2019 at 9:13 AM, Page Turner said:

Interesting mish  mash, Walmart and high end bikes.  

Fezzari and Canyon seem to be succeeding with the consumer direct model so Walmart is looking to do the same.  I’m guessing they will market to avid cyclists and not the overweight Pepsi guzzling Moon pie eating shoppers their stores bring in. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Interesting mish  mash, Walmart and high end bikes.  

Fezzari and Canyon seem to be succeeding with the consumer direct model so Walmart is looking to do the same.  I’m guessing they will market to avid cyclists and not the overweight Pepsi guzzling Moon pie eating shoppers their stores bring in. 

It's also interesting to note, that probably half or more of the folks who buy bikes often are in the "I know what I want, what I should pay, and just want it delivered to me" camp - hence the Canyon phenomenon.  If the bikes have proper quality from the factory, it won't be a problem as long as WM doesn't presume to think that their stores can assemble and troubleshoot them.  Maybe they will be partnering with one of the mobile bike shops like some other brands are?

24 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It's also interesting to note, that probably half or more of the folks who buy bikes often are in the "I know what I want, what I should pay, and just want it delivered to me" camp - hence the Canyon phenomenon.  If the bikes have proper quality from the factory, it won't be a problem as long as WM doesn't presume to think that their stores can assemble and troubleshoot them.  Maybe they will be partnering with one of the mobile bike shops like some other brands are?

That and the customer service seems to be legit taking the fear out of an online purchase.  I came really close to going that rout until I found the deal on the Anthem.

• 2 weeks later...